• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best Squad of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILD

Very Well-Known
I know Squad sizes have changed throughout the years but is the current Spanish squad the best we've seen or will see for a long time? The could literally put out two teams that would contest major tournaments. It's just silly.

----------------------Casillas--------------------------

Arbeloa------------Puyol-------Pique------------Alba

----------------Xavi-------------Alonso----------------

-----Pedro--------------Silva------------------Mata----

------------------------Torres-------------------------

Or

-----------------------Reina-------------------------------

----Ramos-------Marchena----Albiol-------Monreal----

------------------Busquets----Iniesta-------------------

-----Carzola-----------Fabregas--------------Villa

-----------------------Llorente------------------------

Now that was just names at random and a formation I created for argument sake. It still leaves Javi Martinez, Ander Herrara, Thiago Alacantra, Victor Valdes/David De Gea, Enrique, Jesus Navas and a few others on the respective benches.

What an embarrassment of riches that squad has. Has their ever been a better squad of players?

Somebody (Binny or someone) should tally up how much money we paid to amass our squad, and then compare it to how much that Spanish squad have gone for in transfer fees.

No fucking doubt our collection of retards cost most than that shex on a shtick you listed above Dave.

Both teams are sexy as hell. I know you're (Ryan) being facetious but I'll do a quick round up. (off the top of my head so Binny or someone ace can proof it for me).

Casillas (Came through Madrid set up)
Arbeloa (We had him)
Puyol (Came through Barca set up)
Pique (Came through Barca set up, poached by United and back to Barca via Real Zaragosa, not really an option with the united ties and his desire to return to the motherland)
Alba (Valencia player I don't know too much about)
Pedro (Came through Barca set up)
Xavi (Barca set up)
Alonso (We had him)
Silva (Rafa wanted him for ages, finally moved to city for 25mil)
Mata (Strong rumours we courted him all summer, opted for Chelsea in a 20+ million move)
Torres (We had him).

So out of the first team I listed, we had three player at our club that we sold on (all for profit but that's besides the point). Four players came through their current clubs youth set up and have no reason to leave. One (Pique) returned to his former club so that leave the silky and sexy Mata and Siva. Both we're attainable in the last few years but sadly we couldn't thrash out deals for either and they subsequently moved to CL based clubs.

Now onto the second team listed.

Reina (We have him)
Ramos (Moved to Madrid from Sevilla, fee was about 18million I think. Signed just after they flogged Owen to Newcastle for 16million)
Marchena (has played with Valencia for the majority of his career and was a part of Rafa's title winning squad).
Albiol (Moved to Madrid from Valencia, can't think of the exact fee but I think it was in and around 10-13million)
Monreal (A player I know little about, plays for the rich and improving Malaga)
Busquet & Iniesta (came from Barca set up)
Cazorla (Left Villareal in the summer for Malaga)
Cesc (Originally from the Barca set, returned home via Arsenal)
Villa (Playing for Barca after impressive spells at Zaragosa and Valencia)
Llorente (came through Bilbao set up)

Right, let's ignore Pepe (we have him) and the two Barca boys (Iniesta and Busquets). I'm ignoring them as they came through the Barca ranks and have yet to move club and probably won't any time soon.

Let's focus on Cazorla for a minute. Was a classy player at Villareal. Broke into the team of the season in la liga a few season back. The only player to break the Barca & Madrid monopoly that year. Has an impressive amount of international caps but broke his leg last year. Was available in the summer but moved to Spain's latest play thing Malaga for about 16million. Many mooted his name (Slugmonster,Amber cabs, Molbystwin) here as potential target and we we're linked in the press.

Rafa tried to snag David Villa when he was still at Zaragosa. Villa politely turned us down joking "I don't like the weather or The Beatles'. Fernando Torres Llorente is a beast of a striker however. Labeling him the Spanish Andy Carroll is lazy due to his height and frame yet perhaps apt. Llorente has tremendous running power and ability with the ball at his feet so is different to Carroll in ways. Was rumoured to be off to Madrid all summer but a move didn't materialise.

So there you have it.

Back on topic, I can't see that squad being emulated. It's just plain silly good.

I dunno Dave, all I was looking for was an opportunity to call Downing an overpriced cunt again. I didn't think you were gonna go to all that fucking bother.

I'm worn out after it too.

I knew you we're being facetious but once I started I wanted to finish. I have enjoyed la liga over the years.

It is brilliant.

Their one problem is central defence. If Puyol or Pique is out, who steps in?

Albiol? Meh. Has struggled at Real.

And after that?

I think you'd struggle to pick an XI out of the rest of the world that you'd pick ahead of that spanish team

We've had some class over the past few years but unfortunately not all at once

You put torres,mascherano and alonso into our current squad and I'm confident our fortunes would change

From a technical standpoint I'd be happy if we signed ANYONE from the spain squad in the next two windows; they'd improve our squad regardless of their position.

English football has changed drastically in the past 10 years ( for the better on the field, technically anyway) we may be playing a massive game of catchup but I think we'll see a few superstars cropping up in the next few years and hopefully with this burton based football 'university' the regularity of these gifted players will increase..

[quote author=keniget link=topic=47462.msg1423770#msg1423770 date=1320830108]
It is brilliant.

Their one problem is central defence. If Puyol or Pique is out, who steps in?

Albiol? Meh. Has struggled at Real.

And after that?
[/quote]

You'd think they would pick a few other defenders for the squad and drop one if their bazilion midfielders.

Perhaps they view Busquets as an emergency CB for them.

I suppose Ramos can play CB and Busquets has filled in for Barca in the past as you say, but who is good enough to get picked that isn't?

I think Ramos has improved a lot as a centreback this season. He's been playing at that position for Real the past few matches with Arbeloa on the right.

Alba is the one keeping Enrique out of the Spanish side, Monreal is supposed to be good too (I think Rafa wanted him here).

They have some good young players too. Munian, Canales, Fontas, Bojan, Jeffren.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1423748#msg1423748 date=1320817890]
Back on topic, I can't see that squad being emulated. It's just plain silly good.
[/quote]

Not to disagree with you intentionally mate but, again, I think people are perhaps overstating it. Let's be honest, prior to the last World Cup people were looking at the front 6 for Argentina and wondering if any team in world football would have a hope of living with it.

I'm not saying they're not a sensational looking team but I'd have even money on Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo etc holding their own. I think it can be easy to get caught up in the hyperbole; the combination of a CL winning team in Barca and a successful Spanish side has just got everyone, IMO, waxing lyrical till the momentum has built a life all of its own.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47462.msg1423771#msg1423771 date=1320830624]
I think you'd struggle to pick an XI out of the rest of the world that you'd pick ahead of that spanish team

[/quote]

------------------------Neuer----------------------------

Alves--------Vidic-----------Lucio----------Lahm

---------------------Mascher------------------------
-------------Muller-----------Modric-----------------

-------Messi------Ronaldo------Giggs-------------

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=47462.msg1423893#msg1423893 date=1320849219]
[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47462.msg1423771#msg1423771 date=1320830624]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Drop ronaldo and put in balotelli and i might agree

and dzeko...throw him in there somewhere

[/quote]

[/quote]

My only question would be Giggs at this stage of his career. You could put Riberry in there instead or move Muller forward where he plays for Bayern and even put Gerrard in the centre mid spot.

Either way that team would take on anyone.

Lol@ Giggs.

If you're going to be all "KHL" about it, you should have put Bale in there.

*wonders where Suarez is*

Apart from, "being fitted for a white pointy hat" ?

The Brazil squad from 2002 was fucking ridiculous.
Cafu
Lucio
Marcos
Roque Junior
Roberto Carlos
Edmilson
Dida
Belletti
Kleberson
Anderson Polga
Gilberto silva
Edison
Junior
Vampeta
Juninho Paulista
Kaka
Rivaldo
Ceni
Luizao
Ronaldinho
Ricardinho
Adriano
Im pretty sure you could make two out of that to compete. Squad wise the Spain team is probably stronger but the Brazil first team would be a match for them imho.
Marcos
Cafu
Lucio
Junior
Roberto Carlos
Gilberto Silva
Juninho Paulista
Kaka
Rivaldo
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho

The '82 Noron Iron world cup team would batter Spain.... again!

That Brazil team in 2002 was excellent Oncy and the squad is impressive but I still think Spain's squad as a whole is better.

It's a ridiculous set of players, the midfield options are just insane.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47462.msg1423885#msg1423885 date=1320847826]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1423748#msg1423748 date=1320817890]
[/quote]

Not to disagree with you intentionally mate but, again, I think people are perhaps overstating it. Let's be honest, prior to the last World Cup people were looking at the front 6 for Argentina and wondering if any team in world football would have a hope of living with it.

I'm not saying they're not a sensational looking team but I'd have even money on Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo etc holding their own. I think it can be easy to get caught up in the hyperbole; the combination of a CL winning team in Barca and a successful Spanish side has just got everyone, IMO, waxing lyrical till the momentum has built a life all of its own.
[/quote]

Overstating it? Look at the entire squad Wiz! Not the first 11 or the attacking 6, the whole squad. Perhaps Spain winning the last World Cup and European championship has made me a little biased but I can't stop drooling over that squad. It deserves all the superlatives you can throw at it as I doubt we'll see a squad packed with as much talent for quite some time. Don't get wrong there has been starting xi's that would rival Spain's of course but they could put out two teams that would realistically contest for international honours and that really shows how impressive the squad is at the moment.

Just going back to your post, Yeah I agree that front six the Argies had was excellent. They have an impressive squad too in fact and have had throughout the years. Likewise Brazil (2002), as both you and Oncy mentioned. I especially like the Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho package. Insane.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah good team and of course it would challenge/beat the Spanish side but you had the rest of the world to choose from. The only drawback with that team is that, it's you know, hypothetical. 😉 So it is unfair to amalgamate a fictitious squad to rival it.

The Spanish squad is real yo!

1 GK Bernard Lama
2 DF Vincent Candela
3 DF Bixente Lizarazu
4 MF Patrick Vieira
5 DF Laurent Blanc
6 MF Youri Djorkaeff
7 MF Didier Deschamps (c)
8 DF Marcel Desailly
9 FW Nicolas Anelka
10 MF Zinedine Zidane
11 MF Robert Pirès
12 FW Thierry Henry
13 FW Sylvain Wiltord
14 MF Johan Micoud
15 DF Lilian Thuram
16 GK Fabien Barthez
17 MF Emmanuel Petit
18 DF Frank Lebœuf
19 MF Christian Karembeu
20 FW David Trezeguet
21 FW Christophe Dugarry
22 GK Ulrich Ramé

The France Euro 2000 squad wasn't bad , first 11 I reckon would give spain a good game

Great shout Zeppelin and they also won back to back international tournament with that crop of players.

I couldn't pick the '98 WC team as one name on the list irritates me ..............
Wait for it .....
BANG!!!
13 MF Bernard Diomède

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom