• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arbeloa "keen to move on"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fair to say we could definitely do with another defender, I'm not convinced by any of the reserve lads.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34431.msg897002#msg897002 date=1246260217]
I think it's fair to say we could definitely do with another defender, I'm not convinced by any of the reserve lads.
[/quote]

Or even better, let's keep the better part of what we already have. Defenses more than any other part of the team need stability and continuity, you will destroy everything if you make too many changes at once. With Johnson coming in and Insua possibly playing a more important role in the team from now on, we already risking doing just that. We cannot rely on Aurelio being fit. We need at least one fullback who was in the team before this season. And it better be Arbeloa than Dossena or Degen.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34431.msg896999#msg896999 date=1246259820]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=34431.msg896996#msg896996 date=1246259175]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34431.msg896992#msg896992 date=1246258725]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=34431.msg896990#msg896990 date=1246258521]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34431.msg896987#msg896987 date=1246258460]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg896981#msg896981 date=1246257668]
We might just rely on Degen as backup.
[/quote]

Johnson - 1st choice
Carra - 2nd choice
Degen/Darby/Whomfuckingever - Can fight it out for 3rd choice.

It's not really that big an issue. If we can get 8M for a right-back we don't *really* need, then take it.
[/quote]
Though I tend to agree mate Carra will NOT be happy with that list.
[/quote]

Carra will only play right-back if Johnson's injured, which is fine. The rest of the time he'll be first choice centre-back.
[/quote]
My point beeing, if Johnson get's injured for a longer period of time Carra will not be happy to deputise outthere at all. Maybe for one or two games he'll be alright but reading from his comments last Season about not wanting to play as a FB we could end up having to use Darby more than we would've liked.

Or even Injured-guy.
[/quote]

Do you think Carra picks the team?

As the years progress by, Carra will be happy to play anywhere.
[/quote]

Carra's reluctance to play RB is nothing to do with him being primadonna-ish, as you seem to be implying; he's just worried that he doesn't have the pace to do the position justice anymore.

As I've said before, I'd quite like to see Jay Spearing given a chance at RB at some point - preferably in preseason and reserve games first, of course, but he has most of the qualities needed to be a good full-back, even if he's never actually played there.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34431.msg896987#msg896987 date=1246258460]
Johnson - 1st choice
Carra - 2nd choice
Degen/Darby/Whomfuckingever - Can fight it out for 3rd choice.
[/quote]

I don't think that works to be honest because it more or less assumes that Johnson will play every single game he's fit for, much as Arbeloa did last season. Rafa only really uses Carra at RB when he has to, so we'll never feel as though we can rest Johnson, particularly if we want to preserve the attacking capability from the fullback.

I'm not saying we should go out and sign someone if Arbeloa is sold, but I don't see Carra as the default 2nd choice - only in big games.

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34431.msg897000#msg897000 date=1246260061]
Carra, Aurelio and, to an extent, Arbeloa are the only experienced defenders we have in the team.
[/quote]

How can Arbeloa be considered more senior / experienced than Agger? Just because he's older?

They both have roughly the same senior appearances and Agger has featured far more at international level.

I'll be sad to see bob go but if he wants to move on then let's get as much as we can for him.

so a separate note I find it so funny when players talk about 'team sprit' blah blah blah but as soon as its obvious they are not going to be first choice anymore they fuck off. look at heskey for instance.
I'm disappointed bob isn't going to attempt to fight for his place, with the sheet of glass that is aurelio arbleoa would have got loads of games at left back if nowhere else.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897016#msg897016 date=1246261931]
[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34431.msg897000#msg897000 date=1246260061]
Carra, Aurelio and, to an extent, Arbeloa are the only experienced defenders we have in the team.
[/quote]

How can Arbeloa be considered more senior / experienced than Agger? Just because he's older?

They both have roughly the same senior appearances and Agger has featured far more at international level.
[/quote]

Because Arbeloa is 2 years older and he played 25 more games in a Liverpool shirt than Agger. In the last 2 seasons Agger played in 24 games for us. Arbeloa played in 84. Pretty big difference, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Agger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Álvaro_Arbeloa

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34431.msg897027#msg897027 date=1246262685]
I'll be sad to see bob go but if he wants to move on then let's get as much as we can for him.

so a separate note I find it so funny when players talk about 'team sprit' blah blah blah but as soon as its obvious they are not going to be first choice anymore they fuck off. look at heskey for instance.
I'm disappointed bob isn't going to attempt to fight for his place, with the sheet of glass that is aurelio arbleoa would have got loads of games at left back if nowhere else.
[/quote]

I don't think Arbeloa expects to be an automatic 1-st choice at Madrid either. I think it's less about the competition and more about wanting to play in his home country and the club where he grew up but never had a chance to play for. If they say they want him back now, it's quite understandable why he wants to go.

But if I were Rafa, I would try to convince him to stay for one more season at any cost. That extra bit of stability and continuity at the back could well be the difference between us winning the title next season - or not.

According to your Wiki links, Agger has 53 appearances for us, whilst Arbeloa has 66. I don't think that's a big difference and when you factor in international experience, then it looks pretty even.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897033#msg897033 date=1246263217]
According to your Wiki links, Agger has 53 appearances for us, whilst Arbeloa has 66. I don't think that's a big difference and when you factor in international experience, then it looks pretty even.
[/quote]

Look at overall games column, not just Premiership. It makes much more sense to factor in Champions League games, rather than games for their country's national teams. International experience is completely irrelevant, we are talking about his seniority and continuity in THIS team, not Danish team or any other.

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34431.msg897034#msg897034 date=1246263415]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897033#msg897033 date=1246263217]
[/quote]

Look at overall games column, not just Premiership. It makes much more sense to factor in Champions League games, rather than games for their country's national teams. International experience is completely irrelevant, we are talking about his seniority and continuity in THIS team, not Danish team or any other.
[/quote]

Okay, so it's 70 something versus 90 something?

It's a petty point to argue, but I don't see much in it to be honest. Agger has proven that the has the mentality to play at the highest level (underlined by the way he bounced back against Chelsea in the CL semi-finals). And Skrtel, whilst relatively inexperienced in Europe, has a lot of first team appearances behind him too. They're unproven as a partnership for sure, but it's not quite the same as Arsenal playing guys like Gibbs and Denilson for me.

In an ideal world, we'd have another Sami in the defensive ranks who could deputise in Carra's absence, yeah I agree, but I don't see it as a priority.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34431.msg896975#msg896975 date=1246255292]
[quote author=eecheerow link=topic=34431.msg896963#msg896963 date=1246241101]
[quote author=Modokay link=topic=34431.msg896893#msg896893 date=1246223723]
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Don't leave Alvaro!!!
[/quote]

Seconded.

I would rather have him leave on a free next season than be left short at the back this season.
[/quote]

And in the meantime, we come up 8M short this summer, and instead of getting Silva/Tevez and any other first choice target we end up with Bellamy and Pennant Mk II.
[/quote]

If he won't sign the contract extension, he goes now.

Aside from the details, I do think rurik has a point when he talks about our defence next season being potentially a bit thin and inexperienced. We don't want to up our attacking prowess only to get undone by becoming more vulnerable at the back.

We lost five points last season purely because of full-backs having nightmares - Dossena v Hull and Skrtel v Middlesbrough. It's essential we have the necessary back-up for all positions. Either we make Arbeloa stay another season or we sign someone to replace him - preferably someone versatile who can also cover CB.

He wouldn't be my choice, but I have a feeling we may end up signing Heinze.

I don't know. We've heard many complaints over the years about how Rafa pads out the squad with expensive dross and fails to give youth a spot when it opens up. Here we're advocating continuing this policy.

Look at Utd's defence last year: Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Neville, O'Shea, Rafael.

After Vidic, you're looking at a mixture of lesser quality and experience. Would we have been happy with that?

What if Ferdinand gets injured? Evans isn't experienced enough! O'Shea is rubbish! Neville is finished!

They had a few periods where injuries gave them a scare, but the team had enough experience and quality to pull through.

I would prefer that Arbeloa to stay, he's solid at the left or right but it looks like he's going so we need to move on.

Carra at right back isn't an option for more than a streak of two or three games, he looks shattered most of the time playing at centre back, he just couldn't keep it going for an extend period. I'd be happy to let Darby have a few games to see if he cuts it. Also, if Degen can get fit and play a few matches me *might* surprise us.

Finally, if we do end up with injuries to Johnson/Degen/Darby and a back line of JC, DA, MS & whatever left back the problem will be cover for the centre backs. If Distan is an option for £2-3 million I'd get him in as I really wouldn't like to look down to the bench to see Rafa telling Pellegrino to get his shorts on.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897057#msg897057 date=1246265668]
I don't know. We've heard many complaints over the years about how Rafa pads out the squad with expensive dross and fails to give youth a spot when it opens up. Here we're advocating continuing this policy.

Look at Utd's defence last year: Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Neville, O'Shea, Rafael.

After Vidic, you're looking at a mixture of lesser quality and experience. Would we have been happy with that?

What if Ferdinand gets injured? Evans isn't experienced enough! O'Shea is rubbish! Neville is finished!

They had a few periods where injuries gave them a scare, but the team had enough experience and quality to pull through.
[/quote]

None of those players were as disastrous at full-back as Dossena, Degen or Skrtel.

I don't think Fergie would ever opt to play Vidic at RB, Degen was injured all season and they don't have an equivalent of Dossena.

I'm not trying to say there are no worries whatsoever in defence, but I'm not in favour of having 10 defenders on the books trying to cater to every possible scenario that might arise either.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897071#msg897071 date=1246267277]
I don't think Fergie would ever opt to play Vidic at RB, Degen was injured all season and they don't have an equivalent of Dossena.

I'm not trying to say there are no worries whatsoever in defence, but I'm not in favour of having 10 defenders on the books trying to cater to every possible scenario that might arise either.
[/quote]

Agree completely about squad size. I would sell (if humanly possible) both Degen and Dossena because I think they're liabilities, and get one player in who's not a liability and can cover different positions.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=34431.msg897076#msg897076 date=1246267458]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897071#msg897071 date=1246267277]

[/quote]

Agree completely about squad size. I would sell (if humanly possible) both Degen and Dossena because I think they're liabilities, and get one player in who's not a liability and can cover different positions.

[/quote]

Someone like Arby.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34431.msg897057#msg897057 date=1246265668]

[/quote]

Utd's defense has 3 world-class players. When either Rio or Vidic got injured, the other one could be relied upon to become a leader and defensive rock. We have Agger and Skrtel who are talented, but each of them needs a partner like Carra or Sami to tell them what to do. United can weather a spell without one of their star CBs much easier than we could cope without without Jamie.

We need an experienced defender, but I surely hope it's not Heinze. Maybe Mellberg will be available, now that Juve got Cannavaro. He can play RB too.

if bob wants to return home then that's fair enough but if he is leaving because he is concerned about first team oppertunities then his is doing himself a disservice. he's get LOADS of games.

right back
johnson - can play ever game
darby - untested at the top level
degen - sick note

left back
insua - can't play every game
aurelio - sick note

center back
carra
agger
skrtel
sami - has left

in the league alone there are 38 games.

Oh fuck, he's already signed for Olympiakos for 2.5 million euro.

We should sign Maldini. I'm sure he still has a few years left in him. J

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34431.msg897082#msg897082 date=1246268223]
Oh fuck, he's already signed for Olympiakos for 2.5 million euro.
[/quote]

source?

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34431.msg897079#msg897079 date=1246267931]
Utd's defense has 3 world-class players. When either Rio or Vidic got injured, the other one could be relied upon to become a leader and defensive rock. We have Agger and Skrtel who are talented, but each of them needs a partner like Carra or Sami to tell them what to do. United can weather a spell without one of their star CBs much easier than we could cope without without Jamie.

We need an experienced defender, but I surely hope it's not Heinze. Maybe Mellberg will be available, now that Juve got Cannavaro. He can play RB too.
[/quote]

[There isn't too much disagreement here, but I'm responding mainly because I'm bored at work.]

Who is the other world class player defender at Utd? Evra? He's not going to become a leader and organize the defence.

Agger and Skrtel still have a ways to go when it comes to leadership (Skrtel in particular), agreed, but they can hold their own for the most part. Also, they have the benefit of a rock solid defensive midfield partnership in front of them (assuming it's still around next season) to help them - Utd's defence is expected to stand on it's own a bit more.

If we can rid ourselves of Dossena and Degen, then yeah, we can bring someone in, but as I said to Bunnyman, I'd like to see at least one spot left vacant for a youngster to come in... if not this season, then the next.

if its true that madrid are offering 2 million euros the lad can see out his contract and leave for free after we've won the title next season. madrid fuck us over all the time and i'd rather pass on the 2 million and have strength in depth on the right.

Agreed.

He's also excellent cover for LB should the shit hit the fan.

£2M just isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom