• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anfield Road to take capacity to 60k+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Now I know there was a lot of talk about the Anfield Road end expansion in the Main Stand thread, but in the true spirit of Rosco, I thought it best to start a new thread as I just noticed this line in a Paul Joyce article.

"FSG benefited from a change of attitude at the council, but have duly delivered on their promise to revamp Anfield and outline planning permission for phase two, a redevelopment of the Anfield Road End which would see the capacity exceed 60,000, is already agreed."

Now, my understanding was that the Anfield Road end would take us up to 58k, and that going over 60k required the reopening of a train line. Has anything changed, does Paul Joyce have this wrong? What have you locals heard?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...cester-City-Jurgen-Klopp-John-W-Henry-Ranieri

It was always said that 60k was the number that would mean new transport links would be needed.

The sceptic in me (that's most of me then) thinks that the massive reduction in government money means the council would bow be more flexible with that mandate provided their were big enough incentives, & let's face it, the financial boost to the city on matchdays is a pretty big incentive, even disregarding any less official incentives that may result, like certain companies that always seem to get the contracts for infrastructure & the like who may or may not be indirectly linked to prominent members of the council.

Reactions: HC
The OCD part of me was most upset that the new capacity of Anfield was 54,047 or whatever.

Seriously? You couldn't have squeezed 54 more seats in there to take it over 55,000? fucking hell.

Reactions: mom
Onto the point of Transport Links:

For the past 25 years (as long as I can remember going the game) we have always left my house around 2pm (6 miles from Anfield), drove to Priory road area, got a parking spec and was in the ground for 2.50pm. So leaving my house one hour before kick off and we would be in no probs.

We left ours early on Saturday, around 3.30pm (giving 2 hours to get there and inside) and the roads were absolute carnage. Queens drive was chocca from the Rocket all the way down to Anfield. It took us about an hour to get down and parked up. And that's with leaving an hour earlier than we have done for years and years.

Quite a few came into the ground late on Saturday, the guy in front arrived 15 mins into the match and was moaning about traffic.

If we are adding even more seats in the near future then they will have to look at doing something. Either adding extra lanes to Queens drive, or improving public transport in and around Anfield.

The OCD part of you isn't very good at maths.

OCD must be like how Gerrard felt in his final days. Having the compulsion to do what he knows must be done, but lacking any ability to get it done. Poor the Brendan.

Aspergers is more like Gerrard in Istanbul.

Onto the point of Transport Links:

For the past 25 years (as long as I can remember going the game) we have always left my house around 2pm (6 miles from Anfield), drove to Priory road area, got a parking spec and was in the ground for 2.50pm. So leaving my house one hour before kick off and we would be in no probs.

We left ours early on Saturday, around 3.30pm (giving 2 hours to get there and inside) and the roads were absolute carnage. Queens drive was chocca from the Rocket all the way down to Anfield. It took us about an hour to get down and parked up. And that's with leaving an hour earlier than we have done for years and years.

Quite a few came into the ground late on Saturday, the guy in front arrived 15 mins into the match and was moaning about traffic.

If we are adding even more seats in the near future then they will have to look at doing something. Either adding extra lanes to Queens drive, or improving public transport in and around Anfield.
They need to put a residents only private vehicle zone a couple of miles all around the ground, with large official park & ride car parks at a reasonable price with regular shuttle buses.

It would be far cheaper & more effective than anything else short of reopening that train line (which is incredibly expensive) I can think of, & there's a few open spaces in cheap land purchase areas a couple of miles away in every direction. I can think of at least four just off the top of my head.

On top of that it'd improve things for local residents, & make walking to & from the ground safer & easier for fans.

The project dude was saying they can have up to 60,999 and after that they need to build hotels, but that they were looking at potentially bigger than that so have started talking to hotel chains about joint ventures etc

Also, you could walk that in an hour & twenty minutes Pete. Fucking mad that.

Me & the lads used to walk the match, leaving at 10 & fucking about on the way to start queuing before 12 & miss the queue at the chippy opposite which would be stupidly long at 1pm.

The project dude was saying they can have up to 60,999 and after that they need to build hotels, but that they were looking at potentially bigger than that so have started talking to hotel chains about joint ventures etc
Did he say anything about the train issue? I can't see that being budged on, I'm not a regular by any means, but it's clear the roads in and out of Liverpool couldn't cope with another 5-10 thousands cars coming in and out.

No. It was Friday night in the pub, I was more interested in the stories of forty painters balancing on ladders up the stair well till four in the morning to paint some previously forgotten about hundred and fifty foot fire escape on Thursday

And also, getting above 61k would require at least an extra 7 thousand seats at the Anfield Road end, taking it's capacity up to 16 thousand, higher than the Centenary, can you fit that many seats in at the short end? That would be massive.

Yeh, it was 4,800, maybe the planning permission had a provision allowing for 6k. Fuck knows where the seats will go if Wolands mate is right about us pushing past 61k. Exciting times.

Yeh, it was 4,800, maybe the planning permission had a provision allowing for 6k. Fuck knows where the seats will go if Wolands mate is right about us pushing past 61k. Exciting times.

Have they done any images of what this phase 2 might look like?

I can only imagine 2 ways of getting in extra seats:
  1. Building upwards i.e. third tier
  2. Filling in the corner area more (this might need a third tier to match with new main stand?)

Have they done any images of what this phase 2 might look like?

I can only imagine 2 ways of getting in extra seats:
  1. Building upwards i.e. third tier
  2. Filling in the corner area more (this might need a third tier to match with new main stand?)

The plans I saw basically will make the Anny road end look bigger than the Kop.

Good old Hansen! Lets bring it in here.

CrNimYwWEAAa6u9.jpg:large

From RAWK, who actually have a decent thread about this:

Dave Phillip's (@lovefutebol)

Note: the expiration date of the outline planning permission for the Anfield Road ends redevelopment is 26 September 2017. #lfc

#lfc has a little over a year to submit a further app for the "reserved matters" (design, appearance, etc), or the outline approval ends.

#lfc then has to commence building within 2 years of approval of the "last reserved matter". Phase 1 app to approval was Jun-Sep 2014.

So assuming an application was submitted in September 2017, #lfc would (all things being well) likely have approval in December 2017.

That in turn means redevelopment of the Anfield Road end would be required to commence no later than December 2019. #lfc

This means an expanded Anfield Rd stand, if it proceeds along Main Stand timescales, would be ready for #lfc fans for the 2021-22 season.

So, based on the current planning app, if #lfc applies to expand the Anfield Road end, the very latest it could open is 5 years from now.

That would be a total timeframe from the initial application in June 2014 of over 7 years to add approx 13,500-14k seats to Anfield. #lfc

Regarding Paul Joyce's article from yesterday: phase 2 expansion (the Anfield Road end) would not take Anfield's capacity above 60k. #lfc

The planning application was for an additional c8,300 seats in the Main Stand, and an additional c4,800 seats in the Anfield Road end. #lfc

Based on today's official confirmed capacity of 54,074, the additional 4,800 Anfield Road seats would leave a total capacity of 58,874. #lfc

& to reiterate, outline agreement isn't an "agreement to construct". #lfc can't expand Anfield Rd without approval of another planning app.

Whether #lfc has any intention to submit that "reserved matters" planning application before the expiry date hasn't been publicly confirmed.

Only thing that's guaranteed is #lfc fans will know by roughly this time next year if that app to expand Anfield Rd has been made or not.

So, if we go for the 4,800 seats that will make 13,874 capacity in the Anfield road. The Kop is 12,409.

x% would always house away fans though - and The Kop is still one huge single tier.

Now that we are getting more capacity to play with, I think we'll see more traction in plans with supporters groups to get more areas of The Kop targetted for 'atmosphere zones' or whatever they will be referred to as

x% would always house away fans though - and The Kop is still one huge single tier.

Now that we are getting more capacity to play with, I think we'll see more traction in plans with supporters groups to get more areas of The Kop targetted for 'atmosphere zones' or whatever they will be referred to as

I wonder would away fans be housed in the lower tier, giving the Liverpool fans the upper?

I reckon we'd find a way of joining the new upper tiers in the corner and house them up there and away.. but would be interesting to see how that plays into plans.

I wonder would away fans be housed in the lower tier, giving the Liverpool fans the upper?
It's rare (though not unheard of) that any club put away fans in the upper tiers, when they get angry the home fans heads underneath take the brunt of their ire, usually in the form of piss drenching them & other items being thrown at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom