• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alberto Aquilani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=35593.msg936804#msg936804 date=1251830321]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936790#msg936790 date=1251829834]
In fact we have 2 of the top 4 signings this summer.
Aquilani
Zhirkov
Johnson
Valencia.
Fucking how good is that!
[/quote]

Apart from Tevez (25.5 mil), Lescott (£24 mil), Adebayor (£25 mil), and the real Madrid spree. 😉
[/quote]

those were already in England. Aquilani is the most expensive to come from a foreign league

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936806#msg936806 date=1251830444]
The press in this country have tricked you into believing the sky is falling. Theyve doom mongered so much that the fans believe we havnt bought anyone or strengthened in anyway. We did some business as quick as (Johnson) and got a top class player in, then when a top class player decided to leave we immediately got in a top class replacement.
Since that day the press have done their best to forget that and make us believe weve signed no one and lost the best player in the world.
We're short up front but we only play 1 so with Torres and Kuyt we have the same options as say Chelsea who play 2 up front. But not a mention of that, its all 'Liverpool have no options'.
United have sold their best player and bought fuck all. Arsenal have sold their top scorer of the last 3 years. But no real mention.
Dont let em fool you. Weve signed 2 fine players to add to torres, gerrard, reina, mascherano, kuyt, agger etc.
Its going to be great. Fuck the press. Were in cracking shape.
[/quote]

It's not just the press' fault though, they feed off the comments of the managers / club officials. Look at the difference between our comments and United's comments this summer.

Everyone thinks United didn't buy Ribery / Villa et al because they were 26 or over.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35593.msg936810#msg936810 date=1251830697]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936806#msg936806 date=1251830444]
The press in this country have tricked you into believing the sky is falling. Theyve doom mongered so much that the fans believe we havnt bought anyone or strengthened in anyway. We did some business as quick as (Johnson) and got a top class player in, then when a top class player decided to leave we immediately got in a top class replacement.
Since that day the press have done their best to forget that and make us believe weve signed no one and lost the best player in the world.
We're short up front but we only play 1 so with Torres and Kuyt we have the same options as say Chelsea who play 2 up front. But not a mention of that, its all 'Liverpool have no options'.
United have sold their best player and bought fuck all. Arsenal have sold their top scorer of the last 3 years. But no real mention.
Dont let em fool you. Weve signed 2 fine players to add to torres, gerrard, reina, mascherano, kuyt, agger etc.
[/quote]

It's not just the press' fault though, they feed off the comments of the managers / club officials. Look at the difference between our comments and United's comments this summer.

Everyone thinks United didn't buy Ribery / Villa et al because they were 26 or over.

[/quote]

Yep. Even before that cunt Adrian Durham was saying 'Fergie's got 80m burning a hole in his pocket, I cant believe he didnt buy anyone.' Two breaths later, & it was 'Liverpool are that in much debt they couldnt buy anyone so that's gonna cost them, that torres to Utd rumour could well come true in January'. Fucking idiot.

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=35593.msg936809#msg936809 date=1251830648]
[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=35593.msg936804#msg936804 date=1251830321]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936790#msg936790 date=1251829834]
Aquilani
Zhirkov
Johnson
Valencia.
[/quote]

Apart from Tevez (25.5 mil), Lescott (£24 mil), Adebayor (£25 mil), and the real Madrid spree. 😉
[/quote]

those were already in England. Aquilani is the most expensive to come from a foreign league

[/quote]

As was Johnson and Valencia. If we are talking foreign transfers, then does Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Alonso count too?
Or is the criteria that the signing MUST come from abroad, INTO the Premier League? Because, correct me if I am wrong, I missed it when Oncy wrote that. Thanks for your help though Rebel. 🙂

Aquilani
Zhirkov
Johnson
Valencia.
[/quote]

[/quote]Soz, i meant out the big 4.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936784#msg936784 date=1251829622]
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=35593.msg936774#msg936774 date=1251829337]
Great post

Some of the doom mongering going on in the transfer thread is insane. Boohoohoo, so fucking what? We didn't get a shite freebee clogging up the wage bill for another 5 years. The less Degen's and Voronin's the better, IMO.

I've seen him on 10ish occasions 'cos I used to sometime stream Roma games ever since Riise went, and IMO Aquilani has the potential to more directly effective than Xabi ever did in terms of goals and assists. And when you've got a CM partner as defensive as Mascherano, it's arguable that you can't have many players who don't directly contribute. I know it sounds like I'm underselling Xabi, I'm not; he's an amazing player but I think the point I'm making is fair.

I also think we've paid a good fee for him too, especially in the market we were operating in.

When fit he's a £25M-30M+ player. We should be excited.

[/quote]If we'd got him and Johnson today the forum would be doing cartwheels. We've signed 2 x 20m(ish) players. We really should be excited.
I am in fact.
[/quote]

I'm not disappointed by the players we've signed, just a little disillusioned by the players we haven't sold.

[/quote]

Fine post Oncy.

*applauds*

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936815#msg936815 date=1251830920]
Aquilani
Zhirkov
Johnson
Valencia.
[/quote]

[/quote]Soz, i meant out the big 4.
[/quote]

Nay bother dude. Rebel thought it was an English thing or sumfink.
But it was a frivolous summer.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35593.msg936810#msg936810 date=1251830697]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What have we said Ross? The new CEO has played down any issue over money and how much we've spent, while Rafa has said next to nothing regarding how much money he has or doesn't have to spend.

I think we've been pretty dignified about everything this Summer, all things considered and we haven't given the press anything to feed off, that's probably the reason why we see so much hysterical bullshit. The press will make it up whether we comment or not.

[/quote]

We've one decent striker to cover about 60games.
Chelski have 2, scum have 3, Arse have about 400.
That's not cracking shape.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=35593.msg936822#msg936822 date=1251831454]
[/quote]

[/quote]Kuyt is better than Owen, Vela, Bendtner, Eduardo etc so dont talk shite.

"I don't know too many managers happy with the money that they have to spend. There are two or three clubs around the world that have big, big money, but the rest of the managers I am sure will ask for more money.

"The lack of funds is not impacting on my commitment. Always when you have some difficulties, you have to work harder, and I am committed to that.

"Something has changed in football in the last year as there are other clubs spending big money. It's difficult for us to control from our point of view, we have to work with our players and with the budget we had, and that is what we will do."

“It is something I will have to talk to the club about,†he said. “We have some ideas and we have to discuss these ideas. We try to be ready just in case we can sign someone, but it depends on the prices.

“We are working hard with the players and money we have. It is always difficult to compete in the Premier League with clubs who have more money.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not but we managed without Torres for large chunks of last season. It's not like we don't have players, we just don't have the luxury of a high priced like for like replacement for Torres, but to suggest we have nothing is well wide of the mark, however maligned the likes of Voronin and Babel are, we still have if the worst comes to the worst - Voronin, Babel, Kuyt and N'Gog. While Yossi is more than adequate cover for Gerrard, and from what Rafa's said, Aquilani can cover that role too.

As said, the sky isn't falling in. It could be better, but I remember looking at the bench against Stoke last season and thinking we were short, a month or so later and we were in fine form with players coming on and contributing well, even the lesser lads like El Zhar and N'Gog.

Yeah it'd be great to have some real quality replacement for Torres, but a side that can boast such talents as Gerrard, Torres, Riera, Kuyt, Aquilani, Mascherano, Agger, Johnson and Aurelio is far from a bad side, especially when you consider we've only just missed out on the title a few months previous.

If there's been one thing positive to come of our relatively thin but talented squad it's that it's become more cohesive aswell, I don't hear complaints about rotation anymore and it shows on the pitch.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35593.msg936829#msg936829 date=1251831821]
"I don't know too many managers happy with the money that they have to spend. There are two or three clubs around the world that have big, big money, but the rest of the managers I am sure will ask for more money.

"The lack of funds is not impacting on my commitment. Always when you have some difficulties, you have to work harder, and I am committed to that.

"Something has changed in football in the last year as there are other clubs spending big money. It's difficult for us to control from our point of view, we have to work with our players and with the budget we had, and that is what we will do."

“It is something I will have to talk to the club about,†he said. “We have some ideas and we have to discuss these ideas. We try to be ready just in case we can sign someone, but it depends on the prices.

“We are working hard with the players and money we have. It is always difficult to compete in the Premier League with clubs who have more money.

[/quote]

I don't get the point Ross. I didn't even know about this interview, while I knew about the United one. All it is is an honest acknowledgement of the general climate in football at the moment, no bitching, no ambiguity.

I've heard almost as much speculation over United's lack of funds as I have about ours, it's common knowledge we've both had debts to pay.

To be fair, Rafa has chirped on at various times about having less money than others, but he has had ENOUGH money to improve on last season. Of course more would have been nice, but the foundations are there. Hopefully he will just concentrate on managing and coaching his players.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35593.msg936839#msg936839 date=1251832603]
At any point have you Fergie mention "lack of funds" ?
[/quote]

No, but how much of a lack of funds is there? He admitted to being in for Benzema but not wanting to pay more than £35m, so they could have spent more money.

Granted they haven't had the whole of the Ronaldo budget to spend, but they have had money they just haven't spent for the sake of it.

You're making it sound like the above articles have been drawn out in the press to our detriment, they haven't.

I know we've had issues over Benitez' moaning to the press before, but this isn't really the case here, it's like you're trying to make it fit somekind of agenda.

Is Fergies' £35 million for Benzema similar to Moyes and his £15 mil for Shearer, £15 mil for Owen, and £5 mil for Alan Smith? It is easy to say you were in for a player but only after he has signed for another team. I think Fergie has had limited funds, but we have heard nothing of that from their shitty club or the press.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936824#msg936824 date=1251831563]
[/quote]

[/quote]Kuyt is better than Owen, Vela, Bendtner, Eduardo etc so dont talk shite.
[/quote]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, ok theeeeeeeeeen.

/Fucking nutter

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=35593.msg936842#msg936842 date=1251832893]
To be fair, Rafa has chirped on at various times about having less money than others, but he has had ENOUGH money to improve on last season. Of course more would have been nice, but the foundations are there. Hopefully he will just concentrate on managing and coaching his players.
[/quote]

When it flashed up on Sly Sports earlier, Rafa had spent the 2nd most amoutn of money to Citeh this summer. i don't know whether this is still the case. He's been backed again, regardless of sales.
Nothing forced him to spend 20mill on an Italian sicknote, or 15mill on the England RB, but he went for quality not quantity. I just Hope we don't live to regret him not bothering with the forward line this summer.

I'd have whored out Dross and Babel to fund a forward.

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=35593.msg936845#msg936845 date=1251833097]
Is Fergies' £35 million for Benzema similar to Moyes and his £15 mil for Shearer, £15 mil for Owen, and £5 mil for Alan Smith? It is easy to say you were in for a player but only after he has signed for another team. I think Fergie has had limited funds, but we have heard nothing of that from their shitty club or the press.
[/quote]

When have United needed to do that? It's high profile so it would be easy for the other club (or the player) to come out and claim otherwise, it'd suit Madrid down to the ground to play United off as second rate, especially after the Ronaldo coup aswell.

They said they'd spoke to his club but weren't prepared to go over £35m and Fergie said once Madrid offered their price it was a no go.

I know Rafa has used to the press to his own end before to divert criticism, but I don't see alot wrong here, the fans aren't stupid and the press aren't stupid, it's fairly obvious we've had our hands tied because if the money was there, we know from past experience that Rafa would have spent every penny of it.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=35593.msg936846#msg936846 date=1251833103]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35593.msg936824#msg936824 date=1251831563]
[/quote]

[/quote]

/Fucking nutter
[/quote]

Which of those player is Kuyt currently not better than?

[quote author=ILD link=topic=35593.msg936854#msg936854 date=1251833411]
[quote author=Mors link=topic=35593.msg936846#msg936846 date=1251833103]
[/quote]

[/quote]

/Fucking nutter
[/quote]

Which of those player is Kuyt currently not better than?
[/quote]

I think they're all better finishers than Kuyt - he's a better winger than any of them though.

In order (and NOT on potential, where Vela would be 1st):

Eduardo
Kuyt
Bendtner
Owen
Vela (still very inconsistent but he'll probably be the best out of the lot in 2 years)

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35593.msg936843#msg936843 date=1251832918]
[/quote]

No, but how much of a lack of funds is there? He admitted to being in for Benzema but not wanting to pay more than £35m, so they could have spent more money.

Granted they haven't had the whole of the Ronaldo budget to spend, but they have had money they just haven't spent for the sake of it.

You're making it sound like the above articles have been drawn out in the press to our detriment, they haven't.

I know we've had issues over Benitez' moaning to the press before, but this isn't really the case here, it's like you're trying to make it fit somekind of agenda.
[/quote]

I think you're falling for that hook line & sinker mate. If Fergie had serious cash to spend this summer he'd have spent it, simple as.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=35593.msg936857#msg936857 date=1251833745]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35593.msg936843#msg936843 date=1251832918]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you're falling for that hook line & sinker mate. If Fergie had serious cash to spend this summer he'd have spent it, simple as.
[/quote]

I don't know Jon, it's not like Fergie has been shy to voice his views in the past is it?

If there was an issue he was concerned about I'm sure he'd make it known, if his hands were tied I'm sure he'd make it known, it doesn't make sense other than from a commercial perspective for him to make out they've had money when they haven't.

This whole thing seems a rather fruitless argument anyway. When Rafa has moaned before it's been milked to fuck by the press and then they've pressed for more of the same in subsequent interviews. It's not like I don't follow our press and this is the first I've heard of anything like this all Summer, even Purslow was quick to play down money issues last week.

I can't recall him ever making any comments about the Glazers, ever. Genuinely.

I really don't think Fergie would open his mouth and complain about his backing (he knows better). It's never been his style. Even when he missed out on Ronaldinho and Robben there wasn't a single complaint about how things had been done.

[/quote]

[/quote]

i'll file that with the alonso just passes the ball comment to look back on and smile

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35593.msg936867#msg936867 date=1251835183]
I can't recall him ever making any comments about the Glazers, ever. Genuinely.

I really don't think Fergie would open his mouth and complain about his backing (he knows better). It's never been his style. Even when he missed out on Ronaldinho and Robben there wasn't a single complaint about how things had been done.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate, I just think there's little to take issue with here, it's not like Rafa's bleated on all Summer about it, this is the first I've heard, which makes a rather welcome change.

He's done it enough in the past and it's fucked both of us off, we've discussed it loads of times, I just don't really see it in this instance :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom