• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Youth and Reserves thread - 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we looked decent?

No, not really. We were pretty average. Credit to the Mancs - they pressed and closed down really quickly in midfield for most of the game and gave us problems establishing any foothold there. Passes went astray, ball control was poor, and we kept playing too many direct balls. Only started to play better in the last 15 to 20 minutes of the game but that was also more due to us playing in a frenzied pace and pumping balls into the box which the Mancs weren't too comfortable with.

I thought Fulton, Jones, Teixeira and Smith were our better players. Lussey and Dunn worked tirelessly, but didn't really get the support or service they needed.

I though we lacked a striker. Also there was barely any support from midfield, we were too stretched.

great to hear. Any idea on how Brum fans have viewed him? fighting a relegation battle can only do him good

Well Paul Robinson basically called him crap.

Robinson said: "The first batch of loan players were different class, buying into the gaffer's ethos and the team and what we expected from each other.
"For me, the second lot [2014 signings] have let us down a little bit."
Blues loan additions in 2014

• Albert Rusnak (Manchester City): Four appearances
  • Emyr Huws (Manchester City): Two goals in 14 appearances
  • Federico Macheda (Manchester United):Nine goals in 15 appearances
  • Jordan Ibe (Liverpool): One goal in nine appearances
  • Tom Thorpe (Manchester United): Five appearances
  • Tyler Blackett (Manchester United): Eight appearances
Defender Robinson added: "You don't want anyone out there now not giving 100%. The players that go out there have got to wear that shirt with pride."

"The big clubs send these players out for a reason and that's to get first-team football," 35-year-old Robinson continued.
"For me, they've let the gaffer down, they've let us players down, some of them, and they'll just go back to their clubs and get on with it.
"That hurts the most because we're football players and we're brought up to love the game. Do these young kids love the game as much? I don't think so."

After that I imagine they love him. (By the way, that BBC league show last night - brilliantly edited stuff. I normally slouch off to bed but they did it so well I stayed rooted to the spot.)

Well Paul Robinson basically called him crap.

Robinson said: "The first batch of loan players were different class, buying into the gaffer's ethos and the team and what we expected from each other.

"For me, the second lot [2014 signings] have let us down a little bit."

Blues loan additions in 2014

• Albert Rusnak (Manchester City): Four appearances
  • Emyr Huws (Manchester City): Two goals in 14 appearances
  • Federico Macheda (Manchester United):Nine goals in 15 appearances
  • Jordan Ibe (Liverpool): One goal in nine appearances
  • Tom Thorpe (Manchester United): Five appearances
  • Tyler Blackett (Manchester United): Eight appearances
Defender Robinson added: "You don't want anyone out there now not giving 100%. The players that go out there have got to wear that shirt with pride."

"The big clubs send these players out for a reason and that's to get first-team football," 35-year-old Robinson continued.

"For me, they've let the gaffer down, they've let us players down, some of them, and they'll just go back to their clubs and get on with it.

"That hurts the most because we're football players and we're brought up to love the game. Do these young kids love the game as much? I don't think so."

Maybe (I don't know for sure) it's partly because the manager is shit. Look up any Birmingham fan forum and you'll get a good feel of how they regard Lee Clark, despite what he thinks about himself.

Of course, it's maybe both. Robinson's sweeping statement doesn't help because we don't really know if he thinks all of them were shit, or specific ones were.

There definitely have been suggestions that he's been lazy or uncommitted, but I take it with a pinch of salt because he's always looked like he's had an excellent attitude with us. It's probably more that tye club's been in turmoil under a weak manager and resentments have been allowed to grow against the loan kids.

Personally I think Ibe is fantastic. Better raw materials than Sterling, he could be developed into a brilliant attacker.

He contributed to the equalizing goal that kept them up. Cant ask for more than that.
Ibe is a very exciting player. A better loan deal next season should be on the cards.

Maybe (I don't know for sure) it's partly because the manager is shit. Look up any Birmingham fan forum and you'll get a good feel of how they regard Lee Clark, despite what he thinks about himself.

Of course, it's maybe both. Robinson's sweeping statement doesn't help because we don't really know if he thinks all of them were shit, or specific ones were.
He is the luckiest manager in football; he was shocking as manager of \Huddersfield and the fans finally got their wish and he was fired. Amazingly he then got a job in the league ABOVE with Birmingham and he's been shocking again and the fans are united in their hatred of him. He has no tactical nouse whatsoever.

The argument that he's working on a shoestring budget doesn't wash either as he spent more money than any other manager whilst he was manager of Huddersfield and failed. Now he has no money but neither do about 60% of the teams in The Championship.......Jordon Ibe will learn nothing at Brum while that idiot is in charge.

What's the best way to develop Ibe now? Loan him out to a side that relies heavily on its wingers, so he gets a proper go?
Or play him in the reserves plus all of the domestic cup games, as well as appearances off the bench?
One thing for certain is that he won't get in the side the way Sterling originally did, as the team is already stronger than it was (his competition was Downing and Cole I think), thanks in no small part to Sterling himself, and the squad will be bigger and stronger come August.

He's such a talent and I really hope he fulfills his promise.

I don't think he's too far away from making an impact, but I agree that he just won't get enough games for us next season in what will surely be a much-improved squad.

We need to try to find him a good loan, ideally at a lower PL club.

One way, I guess, is to look at where he is now in terms of his development and assess if he has areas which still really need improving. If so, perhaps he should be retained and coached in those areas by our staff, and play games for the U-21s until he's deemed ready to move back to the senior team's bench, or to a club for half a season's loan. He's only 19 at the end of the year, so there's plenty of time on his side. Don't have to rush him out on a full season's loan if he doesn't have the fundamentals right yet.

I'd like him to go there either way. Despite McClaren's dismal showing as England manager, he knows what he's about when it comes to coaching.

My impression of Ibe is that he needs to work on his game intelligence, an area where he is way behind Sterling. Having said that, Sterling has improved massively in that respect so it might be best if Ibe stays at Liverpool to see if Rodgers can repeat the trick with him.

My impression of Ibe is that he needs to work on his game intelligence, an area where he is way behind Sterling. Having said that, Sterling has improved massively in that respect so it might be best if Ibe stays at Liverpool to see if Rodgers can repeat the trick with him.

He does, but as an attacker I'd say it's more important to have the raw attributes, and he's got them all.

He's also made huge strides before since he first came, so he's already shown an ability to listen and take advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom