• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Xabi won’t find it much fun when Bayern buy a couple or more of their best players in the Summer

Have to admit that I'm disappointed as I thought he'd do well with us but respect the decision to stay at Leverkusen.

Also, not going to feel too bad now when we fuck them up in the Europa League.

Kind of glad tbh. Never felt quite right to me. Hopefully whoever we do get will be at least as good anyway.

I was always going to be very surprised if he came here. Been saying that since day one.
Couldn’t give a fuck about told you so’s.
i-informed-you-thusly-sheldon.gif

Xabi being a knob shocker. How many legends game has he played for us? He ain’t no Torres.

I can hold my hands up and admit that I got it wrong. He obviously doesn't love LFC as much as I thought he did, but I'm not vilifying him for it.
Who am I kidding, I hope Leverkusen crash and burn and he gets found out and sacked next season and we can breathe a sigh of relief over the one hit wonder that was Xabi Alonso

Following Klopp would be idiotic.

Strange decision to stay though. They can only go backwards surely.

A few months ago when Alonso’s name first came up as a potential LFC manager, I jokingly said that he will probably go and coach Real Madrid as a stepping stone to the LFC job :). It was in jest, but at that time I did have a hunch that Alonso the manager will move from Madrid to LFC, not the other way around.

I think it’s a sensible decision and takes some balls to turn down both Bayern and Liverpool’s offers - but he’s really too early in his managerial career to jump at the first big opportunity. It will be interesting how his tactics fare in the Champions League and whether he can match Klopp by winning 2 Bundesliga titles in a row. It was not the right moment for him, but I still like Xabi and he might still well end up coaching Liverpool.

A few months ago when Alonso’s name first came up as a potential LFC manager, I jokingly said that he will probably go and coach Real Madrid as a stepping stone to the LFC job :). It was in jest, but at that time I did have a hunch that Alonso the manager will move from Madrid to LFC, not the other way around.

I think it’s a sensible decision and takes some balls to turn down both Bayern and Liverpool’s offers - but he’s really too early in his managerial career to jump at the first big opportunity. It will be interesting how his tactics fare in the Champions League and whether he can match Klopp by winning 2 Bundesliga titles in a row. It was not the right moment for him, but I still like Xabi and he might still well end up coaching Liverpool.

I'm with you on this.

Pros and cons to making the leap and the same with staying. But he clearly doesn't want to be the next Villas Boas or Potter. He can reap the adulation in Leverkusen and, although he'll likely not have lightning strike twice next season, still be available for a top job in summer 2025 when Real will probably come calling.

I can’t see him ever coaching us.

I can’t see him ever coaching us.
Yep... I think the so called "emotional link" to Liverpool the club and the city is just PR. The right thing to say in a interview that was LFC biased.
He is going Madrid after next season... It's the dream club again.... It again is the richest club in world with the financial muscle to match the oil rich clubs

I think we're all missing the bigger picture here. Xabi is staying to make sure Harry Kane never wins a league title, even in the league where his team is guaranteed to win, and where he can score 100 goals a season or whatever. As soon as Kane retires, with no league titles to look back on, Xabi will become Liverpool manager. What a guy!

I’m surprised at the level of bitterness.

It sucks for us but from a career perspective it’s absolutely the right decision… and you could argue that he’s showing loyalty to the folks that gave him his big break.
100%, it was laughable so many ‘sensible’ posters thought he would choose us. Of course he could have, however it was always a long shot, high risk for him and there was so many safer options for his career.
Zero justification for bitterness.

100%, it was laughable so many ‘sensible’ posters thought he would choose us. Of course he could have, however it was always a long shot, high risk for him and there was so many safer options for his career.
Zero justification for bitterness.

My bitterness is mainly tongue in cheek.

However, don't get all holier than thou Dreamifraud.

You were preaching he would choose Bayern over us. Not that he'd stay at Leverkusen over both of us.

I’m not bothered about Xabi, it’s more weird the notion somehow Xabi has some special undying love for us when he will likely pick about 2-3 other clubs above us. Some of the Xabi (similar to Suarez) love now is a bit too much and rather undeserving.

Back
Top Bottom