• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Women’s football equal pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
After Australia’s historic deal where the women spilt all money with the men’s team England’s women’s team want the same.

Fair or bonkers?

Personally I think it should be based off supply and demand so equal pay as things stand is crazy.

Last edited:
Bonkers.
Womens football is shit, and it has viewing figures about 0.000001% of the mens game so should be compensated as such.
Next it will be the Zimbawean 3rd division basketball teams wanting NBA money.

Pretty much as you've said, if they can muster up the same numbers of audience as the Men's team do, they why not. (which we can all agree will probably never happen unless it's strip naked football)

Otherwise, nah-ah

I also agree that it’s nuts but the women’s game has been unfairly held back by the FA and probably countless other organisations or governments around the world.

The players themselves probably don’t deserve equal pay at the moment but the female side of the sport is owed a lot of help.

After Australia’s historic deal where the women spilt all money with the men’s team England’s women’s team want the same.

Fair or bonkers?

Personally I think it should be based off supply and demand so equal pay as things stand is crazy.

I think you got it wrong. I don't think they're getting the same amount of money, they're just getting the same percentage of the money generated.
So they will still earn a lot less than the men.

I also totally agree that it’s nuts but the women’s game has been unfairly held back by the FA and probably countless other organisations or governments around the world.

The players themselves probably don’t deserve equal pay at the moment but the female side of the sport is owed a lot of help.
One thing I've learned is that football isn't a human right it's a privilege. So equality of pay doesn't really apply. What I find strange is that women are pushing for equality of outcome, it doesn't work and it just bankrupted the womens hockey league in Canada.

Last edited:
One thing I've learned is that football isn't a human right it's a privilege. So equality of pay doesn't really apply. What I find is that women are pushing for equality of outcome, it doesn't work and it just bankrupted the womens hockey league in Canada.

Yea I don’t think it should be equal but as the FA, a fairly wealthy organisation, effectively banned women’s football for about 50 years its popularity and pay levels aren’t what they should be and i think they have a duty to address that.

I think you got it wrong. I don't think they're getting the same amount of money, they're just getting the same percentage of the money generated.
So they will still earn a lot less than the men.

That’s not the deal in Australia but in fairness the women’s team have been outperforming the men’s for years and arguably have the best women’s player in the world.

That’s not the deal in Australia but in fairness the women’s team have been outperforming the men’s for years and arguably have the best women’s player in the world.
Well that's the argument in Sweden as well. That the women are better. Problem is, despite that they just don't generate enough money to even be close to get the same pay the men are getting. Basically men's football is now paying for women's football.

From the OP, my understanding is that this is just the national team in which case the FA can afford it.

Ok.

We'll the level of football isn't comparable so they'll need to earn it.

Blatter's ideas might be the right ones.

I understand international level - is a good thing to do. Will obviously never happen at club level given there is disparity across all males given players earn what club's think they are worth.

Equal pay for equal work is hardly a radical proposal. If men's salaries weren't so absurdly high then it wouldn't be such an issue. It's a bit late in the day to be cutting men's salaries down to a reasonable level and there clearly isn't enough money in the women's game to offer parity with men, so it seems the only way to offer any level of equality is to make it a unisex sport. That way each player would be rewarded based on the relative value they offer to their team. That's obviously never going to happen, though.

In international teams it is a good idea. Most male players are already millionaires/wealthy anyway. Some women's teams are ridiculously underfunded. The Irish team didn't have enough kit a couple of years ago.

It will never and should never happen with clubs because salaries are revenue based.

One thing I've learned is that football isn't a human right it's a privilege. So equality of pay doesn't really apply. What I find strange is that women are pushing for equality of outcome, it doesn't work and it just bankrupted the womens hockey league in Canada.

That's not exactly what happened with women's hockey in Canada. Players were making less than the equivalent of a minimum wage job. No one was able to play/practice full time without maintaining a real job. The finances were poor, the league admin was shit. No one in female hockey is arguing for equal pay, they're fighting for enough pay to.make it a full time job.

That's not exactly what happened with women's hockey in Canada. Players were making less than the equivalent of a minimum wage job. No one was able to play/practice full time without maintaining a real job. The finances were poor, the league admin was shit. No one in female hockey is arguing for equal pay, they're fighting for enough pay to.make it a full time job.
Yeah, but I guess my point is that you can't force the issue when it's not economically feasible. "Men are getting paid, we want to get paid as well". Didn't it go bankrupt like two years after players started getting paid?

Based on all the logic folks have posted here, I'm guessing you would all support the US Women's team getting paid abut 10x what the means team get?

Equal pay for equal work is hardly a radical proposal. If men's salaries weren't so absurdly high then it wouldn't be such an issue. It's a bit late in the day to be cutting men's salaries down to a reasonable level and there clearly isn't enough money in the women's game to offer parity with men, so it seems the only way to offer any level of equality is to make it a unisex sport. That way each player would be rewarded based on the relative value they offer to their team. That's obviously never going to happen, though.

Women's football is not equal to men's football.
It isn't even remotely close to being equal work.

Based on all the logic folks have posted here, I'm guessing you would all support the US Women's team getting paid abut 10x what the means team get?

That’s fine. Plus there’s a tonne of money in the US women’s team, loads of companies are dying to align themselves with women’s sport like Nike who would pretend to care about anything to make money.

I suppose there could be the argument that they're civil servants, and in line with civil servant pay grades they should be paid as much as the men.

Pity they also play like fucking civil servants.

Yeah, but I guess my point is that you can't force the issue when it's not economically feasible. "Men are getting paid, we want to get paid as well". Didn't it go bankrupt like two years after players started getting paid?

It is economically feasible to pay women hockey players. It wasnt economically feasible in that organization and with those ownership groups.

How do they work out what to pay for an international wage? I'm all for that being equal, or at the very least, the same percentage of what each national team brings in across the genders, relatively speaking, however that would work.

Applying it to club football is ludicrous, though, obviously.

How do they work out what to pay for an international wage? I'm all for that being equal, or at the very least, the same percentage of what the national team brings in, relatively speaking, however that would work.

The female players got 13% of the women's world cup revenue . The male players got 9%. Difference in revenue is 72 million to 4 billion though. There isn't really a way to pay them equally in any context without cross subsidizing or lowering the men's pay.

The female players got 13% of the women's world cup revenue . The male players got 9%. Difference in revenue is 72 million to 4 billion though. There isn't really a way to pay them equally in any context without cross subsidizing or lowering the men's pay.

Well there you go, there's more money in the men's game. Not much you can do about that until more people get interested in the women's game and more money is invested.

Unless the men's teams forego their wages to pay the women...

I know it's not football, but is it still the case in tennis with equal prize money? Yet the men play more sets... therefore meaning they actually get paid less per set than the women...

They've got a cheek these bints.

How do they work out what to pay for an international wage? I'm all for that being equal, or at the very least, the same percentage of what each national team brings in across the genders, relatively speaking, however that would work.

My understanding is that England pays fuck all like 1000 pound for a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom