• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who takes the penalties now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, i'd like to see Dom taking them. But I wouldn't be surprised if Darwin is given them to help his confidence (which obviously could tank if he misses)

Yep, i'd like to see Dom taking them. But I wouldn't be surprised if Darwin is given them to help his confidence (which obviously could tank if he misses)

Nunez did take one earlier in the season, didn't he?

I don't think Szoboszlai or Trent were on the pitch, but still.

Dom, but he's probably out for four weeks with his hamstring.

VVD takes a good penalty, Trent will want them, too.

If Dom has a hamstring issue he likely misses most of the same games as Salah. So we can probably rule him out. Feel like Trents ego will make him demand it.

Hal-mode: No one as we wont get another penalty all season

HappyClappy-mode: which is fine as we will win all matches 4-0 anyway

Oddly enough, I think I read somewhere that Darwin has a great record. Lots of options in the team though, hard to go wrong with anyone from Dom, Macca, Trent, Gakpo and Jota

We have plenty of penalty takers however Salah must have it written into his contract that he takes them.

Darwin took one against LASK but neither Slobbers, Mac, Mo, Gakpo, Jota or Trent were on the pitch at the time, but Virgil was.

Virgil (1 penalty & scored) & Gakpo (taken 5 missed 1) have taken penalties, with Virgil the new No 1 for Holland.

Jota has only ever taken 1 penalty (for Wolves in the Championship - he scored).

To be fair to Darwin, he’s taken 12 penalties in his career and scored them all.

Slobbers has taken 17 and missed 1.

Mac A has taken 11 and missed 1.

Any of Darwin, Slobbers or Mac A would do.

Darwin has a perfect record (so far) Dom is pretty close - but every single spot kick is identical!

I think Macca’s technique is the best - he is striking it hard into corners like Gerrard and Milner did. Nunez is a type who watches the GK and passes into opposite corner like Messi used to do - ultimately this strategy has its limits. Szobo is striking it with a lot of power, but it’s a bit weird he doesn’t vary the corners; eventually it’s going to backfire.

Darwin has a perfect record (so far) Dom is pretty close - but every single spot kick is identical!

I like Mac's - many of them are high to the cornewrs giving the keeper no chance even if he guesses right.
I like Darwin's - virtually every one right in the corner, both right and left.
Szobo's I don't like - every single one is identical and to the keeper's right. Every keeper in the PL would know this and with most being right-handed it is playing to their strengths (diving to their right).

Last edited:
I think Macca’s technique is the best - he is striking it hard into corners like Gerrard and Milner did. Nunez is a type who watches the GK and passes into opposite corner like Messi used to do - ultimately this strategy has its limits. Szobo is striking it with a lot of power, but it’s a bit weird he doesn’t vary the corners; eventually it’s going to backfire.

When I was a kid we had a coach at one stage who advocated doing exactly that. His reasoning was that if you get it right the keeper won't be able to save it anyway, plus you reduce your margin of error by not trying to mix it up - including putting it in the top corner, which he absolutely ruled out because he said you'll naturally lift the ball when you strike it anyway, so doing that increases an already existing risk. He accepted that now and again a keeper will be good enough to take advantage, but in his view playing the percentages meant this was the way to go. Maybe Lobanovskiy might have agreed? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom