• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who needs the ESL? PL Gravy Train aint stopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwake

Well-Known
https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc...gues-rights-but-it-couldnt-afford-not-to.html

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-fsg-money-payout-benefit-22221086

PL sealed a massive 2.7B dal with NBC. So more money for the PL teams, with La Liga in the mud at the moment there doesn't seem any competition for the PL with regard to rival competions. Maybe next year when Mbappe and Haaland go to Spain L Liga will be more interesting again but for the moment PL is where it's at.

Last edited:
https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc...gues-rights-but-it-couldnt-afford-not-to.html

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-fsg-money-payout-benefit-22221086

PL sealed a massive 2.7B dal with NBC. So more money for the PL teams, with La Liga in the mud at the moment there doesn't seem any competition for the PL with regard to rival competions. Maybe next year when Mbappe and Haaland go to Spain L Liga will be more interesting again but for the moment PL is where it's at.
Gross thats £17.5m per club per season.
I wouldn't rule out both Mbappe and Haaland coming to the prem. City could afford to give Mbappe £40m per year and a signing on fee of £40m, and I know Roman wants Haaland.

In America yearly, the Premier League earns more TV money than La Liga, Italian league, Bundesliga and CL put together. Absolutely crazy...and I'm sure that's probably reflected in other countries as well.

I don't like the idea of a Euto Super League whereby teams leave their domestic leagues but I can understand why.

I was reading the Reddit comments about this yesterday, it’s pretty gross how it always evolves to the fans being milked to the point of exhaustion.

Maybe some of the US based posters can correct any of this but it seems that premier league football has gone from a cheap 1 package get everything deal to something being split across multiple packages: NBC, NBC gold and peacock, costing the fans far more in the process and that’s not including CL or cups which will be on other platforms.

It’s all so very familiar to anyone in the UK and going in the opposite direction to what any fan actually wants. Maybe the lizard way of each club selling its own rights would actually be better for the average fan, at least initially.

I was reading the Reddit comments about this yesterday, it’s pretty gross how it always evolves to the fans being milked to the point of exhaustion.

Maybe some of the US based posters can correct any of this but it seems that premier league football has gone from a cheap 1 package get everything deal to something being split across multiple packages: NBC, NBC gold and peacock, costing the fans far more in the process and that’s not including CL or cups which will be on other platforms.

It’s all so very familiar to anyone in the UK and going in the opposite direction to what any fan actually wants. Maybe the lizard way of each club selling its own rights would actually be better for the average fan, at least initially.

Given the opportunity they would be charging PPV prices per game, with maybe a 10% discount for a season deal. As shit as it is now, it's far better than trusting the lizards for a good deal

Given the opportunity they would be charging PPV prices per game, with maybe a 10% discount for a season deal. As shit as it is now, it's far better than trusting the lizards for a good deal
I think they know that if they get too greedy people will find alternative ways of watching games and ultimately their revenue will decrease.
So they will continue to thread this fine line of squeezing the maximum they can from the fans.
This will probably involve new ways of getting extra revenue from their "products"

PL coverage in the US was not that great before NBC Sports took over. It was primarily on Fox Soccer Channel and it was ok, not great but passable. When NBC Sports took over, the first two years were amazing. You had live games which you could watch on TV and all other games you could access on the website or using an app. It was perfect. This lasted two years. Then they shifted to NBC gold where some games were available on TV but for the rest, you needed to pay to watch on NBC gold. I think the NBC Gold app has now become Peacock.

I watched most games when everything was on NBC sports. Once the NBC Gold App came about, I started watching less and less. There were other reasons. But just the added hurdle of purchasing another package was enough for me to drop my interest due to other things happening in my life.

On a related note, I thought the new streaming-based TV was supposed to make access to entertainment easier and cheaper compared to cable. Here in the US, I have found that it has made it more complicated and costlier. I cut the cord last winter and after that explored a lot of streaming packages and found it costlier to have everything I wanted - basic TV plus live sports. Ended up not purchasing anything other than Netflix and Amazon Prime.

PL will always remain the number one show in town compared to other football leagues in USA and countries like India, Singapore, etc. PL was able to ward off the La Liga when Real had their Galacticos and Messi and Ronaldo and company were fighting it over for the title and winning the CL.

Mbappe and Haaland are not going to help La Liga topple the PL in these markets. They might help decrease the gap a little bit. But zero chance of them accomplishing what Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Raul, Messi, Ronaldo couldn't.

Even if La Liga becomes stronger I feel that the gap between PL and other leagues is only going to grow in these markets. PL got in early and captured the football fanbase (people like me for example). There is also the cultural familiarity aspect - English, more entertaining games due to the type of football being played, etc.

PL coverage in the US was not that great before NBC Sports took over. It was primarily on Fox Soccer Channel and it was ok, not great but passable. When NBC Sports took over, the first two years were amazing. You had live games which you could watch on TV and all other games you could access on the website or using an app. It was perfect. This lasted two years. Then they shifted to NBC gold where some games were available on TV but for the rest, you needed to pay to watch on NBC gold. I think the NBC Gold app has now become Peacock.

I watched most games when everything was on NBC sports. Once the NBC Gold App came about, I started watching less and less. There were other reasons. But just the added hurdle of purchasing another package was enough for me to drop my interest due to other things happening in my life.

On a related note, I thought the new streaming-based TV was supposed to make access to entertainment easier and cheaper compared to cable. Here in the US, I have found that it has made it more complicated and costlier. I cut the cord last winter and after that explored a lot of streaming packages and found it costlier to have everything I wanted - basic TV plus live sports. Ended up not purchasing anything other than Netflix and Amazon Prime.

It’s almost the heroin dealer business model. Hey USA did you like the cheap and easy premier league football we showed you for two years? Great now you’re hooked we want you to pay 4x more and jump through some hoops. Seems like DAZN is the thing to have atm for PL football providing you can get yourself the necessary Canadian requirements.

At this point streaming is obviously cable mk2 every major content provider has a service, we just need a ‘package’ provider to group these services and the reincarnation is complete.

Meanwhile Optus Sport secure the rights for 6 more years and I get every game and good coverage for $100 :D

That’s great news.

I get Optus Sport free with my $25 a month mobile phone connection.
I must check I used to get it free with my home broadband. It’s superb coverage. Press conferences, mini highlights, mini matches for the big 6, all goals. Really quality production

Is that 100 per year. It is cheaper in the US. You can see the entire season, all games, for like 40-50 US $.
That’s if you aren’t with Optus. It’s free I believe if you have a plan. I have broadband at home with them so don’t pay.

I must check I used to get it free with my home broadband. It’s superb coverage. Press conferences, mini highlights, mini matches for the big 6, all goals. Really quality production

I’d imagine you get it free - I don’t use Optus for internet - actually think we have two free logins because the missus has one with her Optus mobile account too.

Considering how Covid has decimated the market for most of the mainland euro teams this double your money deal the premier league have struck with NBC means that even the mid table Prem teams have even more buying power than some of the top teams in other leagues.

Expect to hear more foreign players quoting "I've always dreamed of playing for - Insert mid table Prem team name here - ever since I was a kid"

Look at the money Everton have spent in recent years but they are still distinctly a mid table team.

The PL biggest advantage over other league is the language which meant it was easier for foreign nations to digest. The influx of American owners probably helped too as they would have pushed broadcasting companies to show more PL football. The most watched club game in world football is not the Champions League Final but Liverpool vs Man Utd, with upto twice as many people tuning in.
The concern would be the popularity of football on the continent, Italian teams get barely half the stadiums filled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom