• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What do or did your parents do?

Isn't it interesting that about half of us hinted to the fact that one way or another we have a poor, strained or completely non-existent relationship with our fathers.

To quote Fight Club (just for you Brendan!)....

'We're a generation of men brought up by women'.

Are we the first generation of men that have completely lost our way ?

With the emergence of 'feminism' and all this "women and men are equal" bollocks, maybe men dont feel like men anymore ? We've got no real defined status or role and somewhere down the line we've become less....well, less important.

Personally, I think we should go back to the days where men lit fires and smoked cigars and the women stayed at home to look after the kids and bake cakes.

I had a fantastic relationship with my Dad. He was a brilliant old boy and a massive Reds fan. I loved him dearly and I miss him every day. I remember visiting him in hospital the day after the Olympiacos game on the way to winning Number 5. I told him about Gerrard's goal and he was so pleased. He didn't get to see Istanbul, but he'd have loved it. Walk on Dad.

My Dad is a head teacher in a school in Wallasey and my Mum is South Liverpool's Neighbourhood Manager.

leftpeg said:
I had a fantastic relationship with my Dad. He was a brilliant old boy and a massive Reds fan. I loved him dearly and I miss him every day. I remember visiting him in hospital the day after the Olympiacos game on the way to winning Number 5. I told him about Gerrard's goal and he was so pleased. He didn't get to see Istanbul, but he'd have loved it. Walk on Dad.

Good stuff mate, I envy you.

I could be wrong, but I dont reckon too many young men these days have a 'fantastic relationship' with their Dad. I reckon a lot of my generation are growing up without a dominant male role model in their lives.

Spot on Jamo.

This is possibly the reason men are not a lot more feminine than in years gone by.

This is a separate thread altogether though!

anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I could be wrong, but I dont reckon too many young men these days have a 'fantastic relationship' with their Dad.

In my experience, I think you're right Dave.

Your previous point about woman staying at home to bake cakes and look after the children was utter bollocks though.

Every woman I know is at the very least my equal.

I'm hoping you were just joking.

Dont really get on with my Dad that much, he is a bit of a wanker, but he can be sound. There is often a fine balance between the two, im sure i play my part but we dont really do much together i.e bond etc. Last time me and him did something together was go to see Kill Bill Vol.1.

I have a pretty good relationship with my dad. We have pretty much opposite interests most of the time, but we get on well and I know there isn't anyone out there who cares for me more than he does. I give him too much stick sometimes but that's the nature of our relationship.

anfieldanfield said:
I could be wrong, but I dont reckon too many young men these days have a 'fantastic relationship' with their Dad. I reckon a lot of my generation are growing up without a dominant male role model in their lives.

I think you're probably right mate. There are a number of contributing factors which combine to make this a complicated issue. While this kind of goes against the grain for me politically, I do think the demise of marriage has a lot to do with it.

livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I could be wrong, but I dont reckon too many young men these days have a 'fantastic relationship' with their Dad.

Your previous point about woman staying at home to bake cakes and look after the children was utter bollocks though.

I was of course joking.

It just seems to me women can do pretty much everything men used to pride themselves on. They can fight in the front line, they can go go to the football on a Saturday afternoon, they can govern a country etc etc

You can see why 'men' dont feel like 'men' as much these days....

Everyone's got at least one mate who carries some completely bizarre views and the other week I was chatting to mine. His basic theory was that the more influence, power and equality women have gained since the launch of 'feminism', the more disatisfied, lost and frustrated an entire generation of young men have become.

anfieldanfield said:
FoxForceFive said:
Spot on Jamo.

This is possibly the reason men are not a lot more feminine than in years gone by.

This is a separate thread altogether though!

Elaborate mate....

I avvent got time now duckie

*Flounces off*

livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I really hope you dont mean that! Or your self esteem is even lower than i at first thought.

anfieldanfield said:
livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I was of course joking.

It just seems to me women can do pretty much everything men used to pride themselves on. They can fight in the front line, they can go go to the football on a Saturday afternoon, they can govern a country etc etc

You can see why 'men' dont feel like 'men' as much these days....

Everyone's got at least one mate who carries some completely bizarre views and the other week I was chatting to mine. His basic theory was that the more influence, power and equality women have gained since the launch of 'feminism', the more disatisfied, lost and frustrated an entire generation of young men have become.

WHAT THE FUCK!! is everyone on about on here? You fuckin wooly student types may only know how to hold the doors open and cry at movies, but some MEN appreciate that some WOMEN still love to have their hair pulled back once in a while.

Christ almighty whats happened to manliness.

leftpeg said:
anfieldanfield said:

I think you're probably right mate. There are a number of contributing factors which combine to make this a complicated issue. While this kind of goes against the grain for me politically, I do think the demise of marriage has a lot to do with it.

My ma was married three times and all three of my 'dads' were cockends. Its not a marraige thing, its a decent father thing.

To quote the great bastion of parenthood that is Furious Styles
'Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but it takes a real man to raise his children'

Herr Onceared said:
livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I really hope you dont mean that! Or your self esteem is even lower than i at first thought.

I worded it wrongly.

So, you think I have low self esteem?

livvy145 said:
Herr Onceared said:
livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I worded it wrongly.

Yes. I think you are a far better person than you give yourself credit for.

Herr Onceared said:
leftpeg said:
anfieldanfield said:

My ma was married three times and all three of my 'dads' were cockends. Its not a marraige thing, its a decent father thing.

To quote the great bastion of parenthood that is Furious Styles
'Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but it takes a real man to raise his children'

It's a broad and sweeping claim that I make mate that's for sure. I'm not being critical of single parents or couples who have families and live together without marrying and nor am I suggesting all married dads are automatically good fathers because they wear a wedding ring. I'm just saying that (very) generally speaking, marriage remains the family backdrop that is most likely to result in a stable upbringing.

Herr Onceared said:
livvy145 said:
Herr Onceared said:
livvy145 said:
anfieldanfield said:
leftpeg said:

I worded it wrongly.

Yes. I think you are a far better person than you give yourself credit for.

Funny enough, that's what my mistress says. :wink:

How strange.

I've an amazing relationship with my Dad, he's one of my best mates.

I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

Ryan said:
How strange.

Same here. My dad is my best pal.

Yes, he does my head in when he tells me I shouldn't buy that car because the tyres will cost me a fortune, as will the servicing, tax and fuel. Shut up dad, you don't know what you're on about. I buy the car and the tyres, servicing, tax and fuel are like a second mortgage.

Yes, he embarrasses me when I take him the match and he comes out with his Alf Garnett remarks and I have to tell him that he can't call a player a lazy, useless, black b*****d.

Yes, he infuriates me when he gets everyone's name wrong:
"The Cisco Kid" - Sissoko
"Kuyyf" - Kuyt
"Caliziagy" - Joe Calzaghe

Yes, he makes me cringe when his 'Victor Meldrew' moaning letters such as why isn't Liverpool on the BBC's National weather map but Manchester is are read out on Radio Merseyside by good old Roger Phillips.

Yes, I argue with him 'til I'm blue in the face as to the virtues of a certain player when he is adamant that they are a bag of shite when I really agree with him and I am only arguing for arguing sake.

Yes, I love him. He's my dad. And without him, I'd never get any DIY jobs done in my house.

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Ryan said:
How strange.

Same here. My dad is my best pal.

Yes, he does my head in when he tells me I shouldn't buy that car because the tyres will cost me a fortune, as will the servicing, tax and fuel. Shut up dad, you don't know what you're on about. I buy the car and the tyres, servicing, tax and fuel are like a second mortgage.

Yes, he embarrasses me when I take him the match and he comes out with his Alf Garnett remarks and I have to tell him that he can't call a player a lazy, useless, black b*****d.

Yes, he infuriates me when he gets everyone's name wrong:
"The Cisco Kid" - Sissoko
"Kuyyf" - Kuyt
"Caliziagy" - Joe Calzaghe

Yes, he makes me cringe when his 'Victor Meldrew' moaning letters such as why isn't Liverpool on the BBC's National weather map but Manchester is are read out on Radio Merseyside by good old Roger Phillips.

Yes, I argue with him 'til I'm blue in the face as to the virtues of a certain player when he is adamant that they are a bag of shite when I really agree with him and I am only arguing for arguing sake.

Yes, I love him. He's my dad. And without him, I'd never get any DIY jobs done in my house.

SO TRUE!

I just checked back through my inbox, and there's a message there for my Dad claiming "Rise scored", and another with "Kite with the 2nd".

Brilliant.

Oh, and the obscene chants at the game is a good one. I remember us nearly being evicted from the Centenary Stand one day after him hurling abuse at Neil Ruddock for half the game. "Fuck Ruddock, you are AWFUL!" being a favoured one.

Ryan said:
SO TRUE!

I just checked back through my inbox, and there's a message there for my Dad claiming "Rise scored", and another with "Kite with the 2nd".

Brilliant.

Last week I had the pleasure of entertaining mine and the wife's parents for the evening. I kid you not, my dad and father-in-law must have pronounced at least 10 people's name wrong.

The already mentioned Kuyt, Sissoko and Calzaghe. Add to that:

"Vordonin" - Voronin
"Arbola" - Arbeola
"Alaves" - Alves
"Prince Nasir" - Prince Naseem

The list went.

I fucked off to bed.

I wish I could say the same as Ryan and Sheik in that my dad is one my best friends but it simply wouldn't be true.

I tolerate him and that's about it.

My father is a professor of Law at Uclan and author - He has his own family, so i rarely see him now.

My mum used to be a Health Visitor and now does something to do with child protection.

My dad's always been a womanising, overly charming drunken fool, now he's just a lonely drunken old twat.

I dont particularly care in all honesty, he's never earned any respect from me.

Rosco said:
I wish I could say the same as Ryan and Sheik in that my dad is one my best friends but it simply wouldn't be true.

Yeah, that just about sums it up for me too...

I cant even begin to think what it would be like to genuinely consider my Dad as "one of my best mates". Weird.

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Ryan said:
SO TRUE!

Brilliant.

Last week I had the pleasure of entertaining mine and the wife's parents for the evening. I kid you not, my dad and father-in-law must have pronounced at least 10 people's name wrong.

The already mentioned Kuyt, Sissoko and Calzaghe. Add to that:

"Vordonin" - Voronin
"Arbola" - Arbeola
"Alaves" - Alves
"Prince Nasir" - Prince Naseem

The list went.

I fucked off to bed.

Damn, i was expecting Voldemort, for Voronin.

Someone, someday...

anfieldanfield said:
Rosco said:

Yeah, that just about sums it up for me too...

I cant even begin to think what it would be like to genuinely consider my Dad as "one of my best mates". Weird.

I do try.

But every time I do, it just makes me miss my grandfather more. He was genuinely one of my best mates.

And what kills me is that I've never once visited his grave since the funeral.

Back
Top Bottom