• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

VvD : GOAT

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
The debate will rage but for me, he is. Don't forget that one season he was within 6 pts of beating Messi to the Ballon D'or !

This season :
Screenshot-2024-03-03-at-12-37-43.png

A lot of discussion here (Dawson says he's the GOAT and gives the reasons why) :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SRQvUGqRQ

Can’t think of a better defender in the world.

Best player in the world? I’d say he falls short. Mbappe Vini Jr Bellingham Rodri and even Kane take the top 5 for me.

Have to admit that I thought he was on the slide after his serious injury. Still very good but unlikely to be consistently great again.

Very impressed with his hunger and drive to get back to the very top. Truly an all time great.

He needs to keep scoring from corners and free-kicks - that’s the only area of his game where I feel he hasn’t maximized his output. Need more good deliveries; I was surprised Mac Allister wasn’t taking corners in the last game after his pinpoint deliveries in the Cup.

So it's not just me then - Squawka agrees ;)
-----
Virgil van Dijk: the best centre-back in Premier League history?
VVD dropped a masterclass against Man City:
100% aerial duels won
77/79 passes completed
6/7 long passes completed
5/8 duels won
5 x possession won
4 tackles made (joint-most)
4 interceptions made (most)
2 last-man tackles (most)
2 clearances
And he's now won TWENTY-FIVE consecutive aerial duels in the competition.
Finally, here's a reminder of his PL record at Anfield as a Liverpool player:
◎ 94 games
◎ 77 wins
◎ 16 draws
◉ 1 defeat

He's the foundation of what has made us an elite team more than any other player.

He's certainly a major element of it. Could one argue that Alisson belongs in that category too?

Loved the way Virgil put that flat track bully Haaland back in his box last weekend.

He's certainly a major element of it. Could one argue that Alisson belongs in that category too?
He comes in that category JJ, but that's why I said 'more than' any other player. Alisson and Salah have also been huge (and of course others who played a big part in our success like Bobby, Mane, Robbo, Trent to name a few). But I think Virge is the one who is just that bit more important than anyone else.

Hyypia remains my favourite, but VVD is comfortably the bst CB I've seen play for us. I'm not sure how Hansern compares, but it's hard to picture any CB being more complete. It takes something special to be a superstar footballer when playing CB, but that's what Virgil is. The general concensus was that the injury had took him from a elite CB to a very good one. His performances this year have proven that to be bollocks.

What I had in mind was (arguably) a category of Virgil and Alisson only, as the two foundational players without whom we couldn't have come this far. On balance, though, I think I agree that the skipper just about heads the list.

After the discussions we all had during the barren years, I'm revelling in the fact that this is what we've moved on to now.

It was Ancelotti's time in charge that gave Calvert-Lewin the one and only decent spell of his career. Neither player nor club will get that lucky again any time soon.

It was Ancelotti's time in charge that gave Calvert-Lewin the one and only decent spell of his career. Neither player nor club will get that lucky again any time soon.
Thought he was very decent, but I think all of his injuries have basically destroyed his career from both physical and mental perspective.

It's one thing being the best defender in the world, it's another being the best defender in the world, getting a horrific injury, and then somehow eclipsing the levels you had before

It's insane. he's gone beyond any and all expectations anyone could have had for him

It's one thing being the best defender in the world, it's another being the best defender in the world, getting a horrific injury, and then somehow eclipsing the levels you had before

It's insane. he's gone beyond any and all expectations anyone could have had for him

He's been absolutely brilliant this season. Did not see this coming. He was still good last season but a step off and I expected a slow but inevitable decline.

I don't think he's ever looked better.

Liverpool hero Dirk Kuyt says the club captaincy has taken Virgil van Dijk's game to a new level.

Van Dijk will also captain Holland at the Euros this summer.

Kuyt told the Liverpool Echo: "Well first of all, I think it was a very big step for Virgil to take the armband. I think it was a huge honour for him but the way he took it and the way he is doing right now is really excellent.

"He is doing really well, really leading the team but also I think his performances have been spot on. It is true that there were some critics in Holland but nowadays every person in the world, if he is saying something about a certain player - especially a Liverpool player - then you can read it everywhere in the world. So sometimes I think the people who criticise him, I think, especially the fans and Virgil van Dijk, are not taking it too seriously.

"But there was also some criticism from Marco van Basten and some other former players, but you know, I watch Liverpool every game and I have seen Virgil playing every game with the way he came back from a very tough injury, it was good but it is not always easy to back after such an injury and be, in my opinion, the best defender in the world.

"You are getting judged really hard every time and people will judge him, so every little mistake he made, he found himself getting a lot of criticism from a lot of people. But in my opinion he didn't do bad, especially after the bad injury but this season, for the first moment, he has been spot on and he is playing an amazing season I think.

"He is leading this team, wearing the armband but also having very good individual performances as well. You know Liverpool is still on top of the league, challenging for a lot of trophies and doing really well. I think a lot of that is down to him. The team is doing really well, pushing really hard and even seeing the circumstances of finding a lot of injuries they are still pushing and never giving up."

Back
Top Bottom