• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top o’ the League (for a few days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good point, actually. It doesn't feel like we're "suffering" from injuries, but in fact we're missing half of the first team.

First team is a stretch. Squad yes.
Only Robbo, Matip (maybe) and 1 of Thiago or Mac would be in for sure.

Unreal to even be in the discussion in fairness.

Nobody expected us to be in the hunt this season so even if it all goes to shit which is more than likely will, this season is a huge step forward to hopefully win the league next season.
At this stage talk of next season should have gone out of the window. It's all about this season.
We've played most of the top teams away from home already and this team should improve as the season progresses.

From where we are we must be well in the mix come the end of the season. Especially with a faltering City (this is not the City of the last 5 years) and an Arsenal that is also not the finished article. I'd like Villa to win it if we can't but they are still in Europe, and I fear for their depth over the long run.

Last edited:
At this stage talk of next season should have gone out of the window. It's all about this season.
We've played most of the top teams away from home already and this team should improve as the season progresses.

From where we are we must be well in the mix come the end of the season. Especially with a faltering City (this is not the City of the party 5 years) and an Arsenal that is also not the finished article. I'd like Villa to win it if we can't but they are still in Europe, and I fear for their depth over the long run.
City are still the bench mark and when KDB returns are capable of rattling off 15 mins in a row.

This is a genuinely strange season. Our new midfield has shown that it really was the previous midfield that was holding us back. We don't look very settled yet, and we've definitely got issues that need to be addressed but we keep finding ways to get a result. That's a very positive sign about where this team is mentally as well as physically. These guys are running on empty and yet in 3 games back to back against Fulham, Sheffield and Palace it was us that had the hunger win in at the death.

I don't know what our best midfield is, I don't know what our best attack is. I'm not even sure what our formation is anymore. Despite being top I'm not sure we can win it. But I'd rather be where we are than any other team in the league because we are first and still have several more gears to go. If the midfield gels, we get 10-12 games out of Thiago or one of Nunez/Gakpo hits a purple patch for 3 months we could well be looking at a title winning side.

City are still the bench mark and when KDB returns are capable of rattling off 15 mins in a row.

Yes that's true, City are the benchmark in world football over the last 3 years and we can't look beyond them. They may well be good enough to win it without DeBruyne and to be honest it's probably going to be another 2 months before he comes back, at 32 that injury will take alot out of him. If they are pinning their hopes on him coming back to full strength to get them over the line they are going to be in for a surprise as I doubt he gets close to 15 league games this season let alone 15 in a row.

Yes, they remain the benchmark given their recent track record, but if you think KDB is going to hit the ground running after so long out, I think you’re mistaken.

His season won’t start properly until March and by then I hope they’ll have too much to do.

This is a genuinely strange season. Our new midfield has shown that it really was the previous midfield that was holding us back. We don't look very settled yet, and we've definitely got issues that need to be addressed but we keep finding ways to get a result. That's a very positive sign about where this team is mentally as well as physically. These guys are running on empty and yet in 3 games back to back against Fulham, Sheffield and Palace it was us that had the hunger win in at the death.

I don't know what our best midfield is, I don't know what our best attack is. I'm not even sure what our formation is anymore. Despite being top I'm not sure we can win it. But I'd rather be where we are than any other team in the league because we are first and still have several more gears to go. If the midfield gels, we get 10-12 games out of Thiago or one of Nunez/Gakpo hits a purple patch for 3 months we could well be looking at a title winning side.
Ironically Xmas is the one period we have a small advantage over most teams as they have less depth and are not used to playing multiple games with short turn arounds so every teams levels drop off. It’s worse we are playing Sun, Thursday, Sunday and our opponents are often in 7/8 days rest.

First team is a stretch. Squad yes.
Only Robbo, Matip (maybe) and 1 of Thiago or Mac would be in for sure.
Actually I think he's right - Klopp's starters for a big match would indeed include at least 4 if not 5 of those (Thiago, Mac, Szobo midfield and Jota preferred to Diaz on the left).

I doubt we'll ever see that midfield though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom