• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top 4 Rivals : Transfers and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think Cancelo was 28, thought he was only like 25 so it would be crazy to spend that much on someone who will be 29 come end of the season.

He's a great player capable of playing on either side, other than KDB thought he was 1 of City's best players last season.

Cancelo’s an absolute baller but things have soured too quickly to not give some concern.

Still, given his all round ability he’d improve most top sides as a full back and even as a midfield option.

The way that City have dealt with Cancelo, Sterling and (to a lesser extent) Zinchenko and Jesus sums up the difference between Klopp and Guardiola. If Cancelo played for us, he'd be here until 35 with talk of a lifelong contract.

Shared this previously (money talks of course, but I'm looking at the squad building/planning point of view)

Last edited:
The way that City have dealt with Cancelo, Sterling and (to a lesser extent) Zinchenko and Jesus sums up the difference between Klopp and Guardiola. If Cancelo played for us, he'd be here until 35 with talk of a lifelong contract.

Yeah, that loyalty is the reason people love Klopp.

It is a weakness though and I'm unsure if I want Klopp to be as ruthless. I do like it when a great player retires with us.

No issue with a player retiring with us, so long as their role in the team is transitioned and managed properly in accordance with what they have left in the tank.

It is a weakness though and I'm unsure if I want Klopp to be as ruthless. I do like it when a great player retires with us.
Loyalty is a two way thing. He will back you as long as you can back him.

Don't recall (many/most) journalists highlighting this "problem" when things were going well. If I remember correctly, most were painting a rosy picture and highlighting how difficult it will be for new signings to break into the XI + not willing to sit on the bench etc.

I have no problem with Klopp being loyal. It is a big part of who he is, his ethos. We need a ruthless DOF supporting him. Edwards, Ward should have put the foot down in terms of handing long term contracts to Henderson, Salah. etc.

I have no problem with Klopp being loyal. It is a big part of who he is, his ethos. We need a ruthless DOF supporting him. Edwards, Ward should have put the foot down in terms of handing long term contracts to Henderson, Salah. etc.

Absolutely. I suspect Klopp got upset when Edwards (rightly) refused to extend Gini, and felt bad that he couldn't stop it, and it all kicked off from there.

Absolutely. I suspect Klopp got upset when Edwards (rightly) refused to extend Gini, and felt bad that he couldn't stop it, and it all kicked off from there.

Maybe rightly in terms of long-term squad building (if those funds were used for younger midfield talents, which they were not), but had Gini been resigned, we would have likely had another major trophy or two in the cabinet. If Klopp wanted to fight for the last hurrah for his old guard, maybe he was right to do so.

Now we got the worst of both worlds - stuck between trusting the old guard and a full-scale rebuild, both strategies not executed with conviction and thus botched.

Maybe rightly in terms of long-term squad building (if those funds were used for younger midfield talents, which they were not), but had Gini been resigned, we would have likely had another major trophy or two in the cabinet. If Klopp wanted to fight for the last hurrah for his old guard, maybe he was right to do so.

Now we got the worst of both worlds - stuck between trusting the old guard and a full-scale rebuild, both strategies not executed with conviction and thus botched.

We could have arrived at a compromise if Billy Hogan or someone had intervened. Extend Hendo's contract but was it necessary to extend it till 2025? If he does not retire from England and Hendo's physical decline continues, it is going to get ugly. Fabinho till 2026 is another issue but I have sympathy for that. When Fabinho signed the new contract he was world class and I don't think anyone saw this level of decline coming.

We have Elliott till 2026 and Curtis Jones till 2027. Not quite sure why we signed them, particularly Jones to such long contracts. Yes, there is the amortization value but it is not like we are going to spend money and be in danger of failing FFP.

We could have arrived at a compromise if Billy Hogan or someone had intervened. Extend Hendo's contract but was it necessary to extend it till 2025? If he does not retire from England and Hendo's physical decline continues, it is going to get ugly. Fabinho till 2026 is another issue but I have sympathy for that. When Fabinho signed the new contract he was world class and I don't think anyone saw this level of decline coming.

We have Elliott till 2026 and Curtis Jones till 2027. Not quite sure why we signed them, particularly Jones to such long contracts. Yes, there is the amortization value but it is not like we are going to spend money and be in danger of failing FFP.

Elliott and Jones can't be on particularly high salaries though

Elliott and Jones can't be on particularly high salaries though

Elliott looks like he will live up to the contract. With Jones, though I like him a lot, I feel that he maybe one who hangs around the fringes of the squad without contributing. It might end up being a situation where we wont sell because other clubs wont meet our valuation, at the same time because of the long contract, we don't buy anyone also.

chavs finally signing some good player if they get enzo
him and mudryk too
and that young chumbawumba lad looks a talent

the rest is not too scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom