• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top 10 worst transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Cole was a horrible buy, and the only reason we bought him was because he wasn't a buy at all, and because people might be tricked to think it had some ambition behind it. What a horrible time that was.

Agree with this. He was a vastly overrated player with very little end product. If he was good Chelsea would have kept him on.

And compare this whole world of shit bad decision backed up by bad decision to what we've got now...

Gives you a warm feeling inside and a little smile ☺

Last edited:
Most of those transfer were in the last 10 years. We have come a long way. With transfer committee in place, we won’t be signing a Carroll / downing again for silly money again

We signed Carrol and downing when £55 million was a lot of money. That’s like spending £120 million in today’s money. Such a waste

Now we get vvd and Allison

I’m tempted to say Karius is the worst. A lot of the other rubbish was pretty much consistent with what was already in the squad and didn’t really change it too much one way or the other.

Karius in the other hand prevented a great team from possibly winning a champions league. More than anyone else he lowered the level of what was possible for those around him.

Worst recent transfer XI?

Karius
Josemi Coates Wilson Konchesky
Markovic Aquilani Poulsen Nunez
Carroll Balotelli

Edit - I'd swap mark Gonzalez for Nunez

Gabriel Paletta
Emiliano Insúa
Oussama Assaidi
Nabil el Zhar

As do a few of his signings: Borini, Benteke, Aspas, Allen, Markovic, Sakho, Toure, Mignolet, bogdan, Alberto....

Mind you, all managers have their disastrous transfers, Rodgers just had a few too many.
Was it Rogers though? I seem to remember we had the ill-fated Transfer Committee which made transfer decisions against Rogers advice. Klopp came in and said I have the final say, fuck whatever went before him

Was it Rogers though? I seem to remember we had the ill-fated Transfer Committee which made transfer decisions against Rogers advice. Klopp came in and said I have the final say, fuck whatever went before him

Yeah, we've been through all this.

But it is FACT that players such as Joe Allen, Borini, and Benteke were Rodgers' choices, even if it seems obvious that Balotelli was anywhere near his first choice.

Did we really pay £42m for Benteke? We sold him for £28m with a net loss of £14m. That's the same as Carroll and Downing.
Aquilani was the worst as he was shit scared to play in the Prem League

These lists, and discussions about former players, managers, owners etc, reinforces what a very, very good team and squad we have now under Klopp.

After the dismal Hodgson era and false dawn under Kenny, where we had the horrific Carroll, Konchesky, Cole, Adam, Poulsen, Downing et al stinking out Anfield, the subsequent improvement under Rodgers (at first), still meant we had thousands of posts and hundreds of threads arguing and moaning about the likes of Joe Allen, Lucas, Sakho, Mignolet, Borini, Toure and Balotelli et al.

Now? The odd moan about Lallana - who never plays anymore anyway - and an ongoing, but hardly vicious, debate about Henderson and the creativity of the midfield three, and lack of cover for the front three.

There's nobody else left to despair over. It's a very good team right now. Can't recall the last time everything seemed so rosy, even the Glory Years of Rafa and Rodgers (well, he had one almost glory year) was still full of complaints about certain aspects of the team (attack for Benitez, defence for Rodgers).

Long may it last!

(It won't)

I'm a lot more optimistic that it will last. Klopp knew when he arrived that he had to change not only the team but the club's whole mindset, hence his comment about "turning doubters into believers", and IMO he's well on the way to doing it. After Istanbul we p!$$ed a terrific opportunity up the wall. That's not going to happen under these owners and this manager. Goodness only knows how you're going to react to this, but I'll say it anyway:

Keep the faith.

I'm a lot more optimistic that it will last. Klopp knew when he arrived that he had to change not only the team but the club's whole mindset, hence his comment about "turning doubters into believers", and IMO he's well on the way to doing it. After Istanbul we p!$$ed a terrific opportunity up the wall. That's not going to happen under these owners and this manager. Goodness only knows how you're going to react to this, but I'll say it anyway:

Keep the faith.

We didn't spend a penny this summer. That's a concern.

But anyway! THIS IS POSITIVE TIME

I haven't read external article, but how do you calculate the extent of how bad a transfer is? Price? Lack of talent? Detrimental impact? A combination of all of the above?

Players like Konchesky and Poulsen were fucking horrendous, but they only monged about on the pitch for a few months. People like Moreno, while obviously more talented, was costing us games for years.

My list would look something like...

Markovic
Moreno
Balotelli
Borini
Aquilani
Karius
Aspas
Downing
Carroll
Adam

All of those players came with high expectations, most had hefty transfer fees which, in a lot of cases, we recouped nothing from, and were utterly abysmal on the pitch - often actively detrimental. And some of them were here for fucking years, too.

Markovic YES
Moreno NO
Balotelli YES
Borini MEH
Aquilani YES
Karius YES
Aspas YES
Downing - he did get one goal...
Carroll YES
Adam - Those corners...

Moreno cost us the Europa League final, not to mention countless other goals and games, putting in maybe a handful of good performances in 5 years. He was a complete and utter braindead liability who was here for the entirety of his contract and cost a decent wedge. Dreadful transfer.

If you think Borini was only "MEH" you need to go back and watch him. I'm not sure he's even a footballer. It's testament to his serious lack of ability that he was moved from striker to right back after he eventually left here. And he cost a fair bit, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom