• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tin Foil Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Is Ferguson deliberating protecting managers who clearly aren’t good enough to grow his own legacy?

Getting Moyes in. Getting Ole in and keeping there now, showing up defending him?

Reminds of a manager I once had who wanted the club to fail once he left. Was more about him than the club.

Maybe. But also he probably remembers he was fortunate himself not to be sacked until he won an FA Cup in 1990.

It took a few years.

I think it's the other way around, he wants Ole to stay because he's the meekest most defferential manager he could possibly have there.

Conte or whoever else would tell him to fuck off if he turned up at training for a chat about his glory years

Every year Utd goes without competing for the big prizes, magnifies his achievements as a manager. His stock is even higher now among Utd fans than the day he left. If they win the big prizes under Ole then that again serves to inflate his legacy as Ole was from his school.

Nah, that's a bit much. Moyes was his pick and Ole is his player. Makes sense for him to back them.
It makes zero sense if he wants to see them win major trophies again and he’s just too smart for that.

Every year Utd goes without competing for the big prizes, magnifies his achievements as a manager. His stock is even higher now among Utd fans than the day he left. If they win the big prizes under Ole then that again serves to inflate his legacy as Ole was from his school.
Exactly my thinking.

I think it's the other way around, he wants Ole to stay because he's the meekest most defferential manager he could possibly have there.

Conte or whoever else would tell him to fuck off if he turned up at training for a chat about his glory years
Even to the detriment of winning trophies?
3 years and counting for any trophy.
12 years for the CL.
Almost 10 for the league.
Ferguson never went more than two without winning the league once he got his first.
It just doesn’t add up.

Maybe. But also he probably remembers he was fortunate himself not to be sacked until he won an FA Cup in 1990.

It took a few years.
The game has changed dramatically though. 3 years at one of the biggest clubs in the world with no trophies and more important not looking even remotely close to winning the big two is akin to 6 years 30 years ago.

Even to the detriment of winning trophies?
3 years and counting for any trophy.
12 years for the CL.
Almost 10 for the league.
Ferguson never went more than two without winning the league once he got his first.
It just doesn’t add up.

Ferguson got into management in the 80s, the idea of a manager going 3 years without a trophy and not getting the chop isn't some weird alien concept to him. He did it himself, so did Klopp

Ferguson got into management in the 80s, the idea of a manager going 3 years without a trophy and not getting the chop isn't some weird alien concept to him. He did it himself, so did Klopp

Can't compare Ferguson's and Klopp's trophyless seasons with Ole without looking at the context. If Ole had managed Aberdeen to win the league against a strong Celtic/Rangers or had a Dortmund on his CV, he would be getting a bit more leeway. Also current day United is very different from the United in the 80s.
Absolutely mental decision to appoint Moyes and Ole. There isn't a single top 8 club in the top 5 leagues in Europe who would want Ole as their manager. Long may it continue.

Would Klopp or Guardiola really get this bunch of United players challenging for the title?

They have amazing attacking options, a good goalie but the rest are just really average. Of course they would be better coached and organised under a good manager but I don't see them as title contenders. They got good results when the fans weren't allowed in and matches were training sessions (more or less), but they're reverting to type now that they are and more pressure is on.

Would Klopp or Guardiola really get this bunch of United players challenging for the title?

They have amazing attacking options, a good goalie but the rest are just really average. Of course they would be better coached and organised under a good manager but I don't see them as title contenders. They got good results when the fans weren't allowed in and matches were training sessions (more or less), but they're reverting to type now that they are and more pressure is on.

Problem is, they're arguably only a couple of players away from being there or thereabouts. As you say, their attack is amazing, but they have the balance all wrong clearly, and Ronaldo at this stage and in a league that is dominated by heavy pressing teams, he should just be an option for certain games and off the bench, as they did with Cavani. The defense is garbage though.

The thing is, you can generally tell when a team/club are in the right direction under a manager, even if the trophies arent there.

We never questioned Klopp because it was clear he was slowly making us better. Much like Houllier got time because it was clear he was slowly steering us in the right direction.

But Solskjaer just seems clueless to all. The team and tactics are regressing. Other than those few weeks as caretaker, he's done nothing to prove he's the right long term solution. Ferguson HAS to be recognising this.

Problem is, they're arguably only a couple of players away from being there or thereabouts. As you say, their attack is amazing, but they have the balance all wrong clearly, and Ronaldo at this stage and in a league that is dominated by heavy pressing teams, he should just be an option for certain games and off the bench, as they did with Cavani. The defense is garbage though.

They're a bit like us under Roy Evans, always seemingly missing the final piece of the puzzle.

Have to say I was worried about Ronaldo improving their mentality but should have known he wouldn't be a team player.

Depends, on how you deal with the lazy fuckers in that team.

I cannot stand Pogba, really dont even rate him as a player, he lives of moments in games where he may do one good pass or scores a cracker every 10 games. Say what you want about Souness or Keane when they have a go at him, but those two know a lazy fucker, and so did Jose. Pogba is just hype he aint even a footballer in my mind , utter fucking garbage. Dont bother giving it the France bollox.

As for the rest of them, I think they need guidance, but getting Ronaldo was ultimately a bad move. I think Sancho looks fucking clueless, is he a hyped up version of Ibe ? Can never trust that German league. Fred is proper shit, but I think Shaw, Rashford, Green, and McStottish guy, along with the defenders could benefit from Klopp and Pep.

They're a bit like us under Roy Evans, always seemingly missing the final piece of the puzzle.

Have to say I was worried about Ronaldo improving their mentality but should have known he wouldn't be a team player.
At least Evans teams had a firm identity. Utd don’t. They’ve seemingly abandoned the counter attacking style that worked for Ole in the big games in his first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom