• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Time for Trent to get into Midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if it was a change of system to something like 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. And giving him a David Beckham type role - i.e. not a proper winger but more of a creative wide man. This would mean Salah goes to central striker with Firmino or Mane behind him.

I agree that the right and left midfielder in our 4-3-3 are more defensive/positional roles than anything. But wide in a 4-2-3-1 is a much more attacking role.

4-2-3-1 would probably also suit Thiago more, and probably mean we wouldnt need to buy a Wijnaldum replacement.

I think not enough people are willing to admit that Phillips being a bit slow on the cover is a factor in some of the defensive problems we have down the right side.

That's true, but Trent also looked lax and like he had an error in him when Gomez was there, and Gomez was quick to cover for him.

I don't think it's as simple as people questioning "the best right back in the league". I mean, he's a great player, but he's a great right back because of his attacking quality, he's not a great right back because of his defensive quality and anyone saying he is, is clearly having a laugh.

I think there's plenty of food for thought about him eventually taking over the inside-right midfield berth from Henderson and us buying a better defender at right back. Or having a better defensive option at right back, horses for courses.

I've asked this question a million times. If the reason he gets caught is because of his tactical advanced positioning, why do we never see the same issue on the left? Robbo is equally an advanced, attacking fullback. You're not telling me that we rarely get done on that side "just" because of the extra protection from Mane. We don't get done there because a) Mane does track back whereas Salah offers less defensive protection and b) Robbo is a better defender.

I'm loathed to agree with any of the idiots in the press, Gary Neville, or Gareth Southgate, but the concerns are not without foundation. Southgate should find a better way to use him, because he's made it obvious that he is prepared to sacrifice Trent's overall quality, for a compromise on a less gifted but more defensively sound player. Klopp doesn't have to do that, he has to look at it and maybe think about bringing in a more rounded right back, while utilising the outstanding ability of Trent to it's full capacity. As opposed to a role that is becoming increasingly scrutinised with every performance.

Like I've said a few times, Rashford did him a few seasons ago and the game this season basically was just a rehash of the same performance. Put him up against anyone quick and with genuine quality and he's all over the place. People will repeatedly point to his performances again Sane, but for every one of those performances, there are tonnes where he hasn't done himself justice and a few years of this uncertainty says to me that he's not a good enough defender and he hasn't made the required defensive progress, for all of his other obvious qualities.

Last edited:
I think not enough people are willing to admit that Phillips being a bit slow on the cover is a factor in some of the defensive problems we have down the right side.
And a lack of cover from midfield. Henderson used to shut down the supply lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom