• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Week's Everton Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloggypop

Part of the Furniture
Everton poised for takeover by former Arsenal shareholder Farhad Moshiri

[http://i]

Farhad Moshiri is in pole position to buy Everton

By Matt Law
9:03AM GMT 27 Feb 2016

Exclusive: British-Iranian businessman has sold his stake to Red and White holdings in bid to out-manoeuvre American consortium

Former Arsenal shareholder Farhad Moshiri has manoeuvred himself into position to buy Everton from under the noses of the American consortium led by John Jay Moores.

Red and White Holdings on Friday confirmed that Moshiri had sold his stake in the company to Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov in a move that allows him to make a bid for Everton, with an announcement over the ownership of the Goodison Park club expected in the next few days.

Everton had been in talks over a £200million sale with former San Diego Padres owner Moores and fellow entrepreneur Charles Noell, but sources close to the club now believe Moshiri is hopeful of agreeing a deal.

Other than Moores, Everton have held negotiations with a wealthy Jordanian over the ownership of the club while there has also been interest from two China-based groups.

But Moshiri’s apparent willingness to allow Everton’s 70-year-old chairman Bill Kenwright to remain in a position of power at the club, at least in the short term, gives him an advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

[http://i]Everton's current chairman Bill Kenwright

It is unclear whether Moshiri is operating on his own or has formed a group to buy Everton. Forbes estimate that his personal wealth stands at around £1.3billion and that figure will have been swollen by the sale of his Red and White shares to Usmanov.

Usmanov and Moshiri had hoped to buy Arsenal from owner Stan Kroenke, but the American is unwilling to sell and their 30.04 per cent share of the Gunners did not even earn them a place on the club’s board.

According to Arsenal’s official website Red and White’s share in Arsenal had been split equally between Moshiri and Usmanov, meaning the sale of his stake will have been worth almost £200million to Moshiri – roughly the same amount of money it will take to buy Everton.

It is understood Moshiri has now decided to turn his attention to Everton, having finally grown frustrated with a lack of influence for his money at the Emirates.

[http://i]Alisher Usmanov

A statement released by Red and White on Friday read: “Red & White Holdings Limited (“Red & White”) today announces that Mr Alisher Usmanov has purchased Mr Farhad Moshiri’s stake in Red & White and as a result Mr Usmanov now owns 100 per cent of Red & White, which represents 18,695 shares or 30.04% in Arsenal Holdings plc (“Arsenal”).”

In the statement, Usmanov said: “In line with my previously stated objective, I can confirm that I have purchased the whole stake of Farhad Moshiri, thereby increasing my holding in Arsenal to over 30 per cent and securing my position as the second largest shareholder.

“I am committed to Arsenal and I will proudly retain my holding as a long-term investment for myself and my family to enjoy and benefit for generations to come. I want the absolute best for Arsenal and am prepared to do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of the club.”

After meeting Usmanov in the early 90s, Moshiri became the Russian’s partner in several companies, his representative in the UK and head of Gallagher, Usmanov’s British investment company.

In November 2012, the 60-year-old became co-owner of USM Holding together with Usmanov and billionaire Andrei Skoch. He is a chartered certified accountant who worked for Ernst & Young, Pannell Kerr Forster and Deloitte Touche and also holds shares in Russian mining and steel manufacturing giant Metalloninvest and Russian mobile phone operator Megafon.

[http://i]Fans protest at Bill Kenwright's regime

Kenwright has been looking for major investment into Everton for over a decade after buying the club from Peter Johnson for £20m on December 26, 1999.

In November 2007, Kenwright said: “If the right person stands in front of me and wants to take this club forward, then I will sell.”

The fact Moshiri appears to be willing to work with Kenwright will be welcomed by Everton manager Roberto Martinez, who, earlier this month, said: “I’ve always said what the chairman is for Everton and I wouldn’t want Bill Kenwright to lose his association with Everton, ever. I think it would be a loss if we do that. Whatever the investment or whatever the situation is in the future, in 10 or 15 years I would love to see Everton benefit from our chairman for the rest of his life.”

[http://i]Everton are in dire need of new investment

Everton granted Moores and Noell, who had also looked at investing in Swansea City, a period of exclusivity to perform due diligence on the club’s accounts in December but a period of inactivity has allowed other indivduals, including Moshiri, to come forward.

One of Moshiri’s biggest tasks will be to attempt to see off summer bids for star trio John Stones, Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku if he manages to complete his Everton takeover.

Moshiri did not respond by attempts from Telegraph Sport to contact him over his desire to buy Everton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ormer-Arsenal-shareholder-Farhad-Moshiri.html

@pjoyceexpress: Farhad Moshiri set to be confirmed as preferred bidder to buy Everton.

They've needed it for years. They've over performed given the money kenwright has at his disposal. They also need a brand new stadium because Goodison, I although has a decent atmosphere, is a dated shithole which cannot be expanded. I'd for them to fuck off out of Anfield. Its the prettiest area but Goodison is by far the greatest eyesore there is.

200 million is probably quite cheap if you wanted to come in, sell their best players for 100 million and collect the TV money. It's probably quite expensive if you want to come in and build them a new stadium and team.

Yep. I know there's calls for a new stadium but I do question if the demand is there to justify the expenditure. It was only last year they were flogging half priced season tickets on billboards in town.

Looks like it might actually be happening

@Everton: BREAKING: The Club is to have a new major shareholder in Farhad Moshiri who brings the promise of new investment. More to follow. #EFC

@pjoyceexpress: Everton announce Farhad Moshiri as new majority shareholder with 49.9pc. Moshiri promises to bring new investment

ee393031696eee1ec64022f0aa35ee41.jpg

"One of Europe's leading football clubs".. Thats up there with "Barry is one of the best ever English midfielders".....

How exactly has Bill Kenwright taught him what it means to be an Evertonian?

Is there a course you can take? Do you get a certificate in irate, bitter apportioning of blame towards Liverpool FC? A map of Rhyl? Training in the personal management of dashed expectations and atomised dreams?

Whatever. I don't want this promise of investment to materialise to any great degree. Money is all that any club needs to succeed.

How exactly has Bill Kenwright taught him what it means to be an Evertonian?

Is there a course you can take? Do you get a certificate in irate, bitter apportioning of blame towards Liverpool FC? A map of Rhyl? Training in the personal management of dashed expectations and atomised dreams?

Whatever. I don't want this promise of investment to materialise to any great degree. Money is all that any club needs to succeed.
It's on the seasonal DVD.

Maybe less shit. I doubt good, in today's football world it takes a huge amount of cash to be good.

They may be dragged into this century marketing wise, which would help them a great deal in the long term.

They still got Martinez as a manager and who knows what type of investment this fella will provide.
The new tv deal is insane so every club is loaded anyway.

Maybe now they'll keep 2 out of 3 from Stones, Lukaku and Barkely.

There has been something going on now since well before Christmas. I'd messaged Macca about this about a month ago, I had heard through a company we deal with that there was a major story in the pipeline. I know we poke fun at their takeover stuff, but this one has been in the works for a few months now. Something is definitely happening, unfortunately.

Is there any chance the fuckers could turn into the next FFP dodgers like city/chelsea/psg?

I've read differing reports on him from that he's worth a couple of hundred million, to that he's a multi-billionaire.

He's a billionaire. 49.9% stake and has promised to invest heavily in the facilities and squad.

This bloke had a few meetings with Davey Moores about taking over us during the period when Parry was chatting to Bob Kraft. He had much the same tactic then, promising Moores that he could stay on as chairman for a while, but not even Moores - who was always a sucker for such perks - felt the guy could deliver. Kenwright's attitude reminds me of Moores, but even more desperate. Maybe it'll work out for them, but the bluenoses ought to be a bit sceptical at this stage.

He's a billionaire. 49.9% stake and has promised to invest heavily in the facilities and squad.

I think there is a big uncertainty about how much he'll invest.

But the details of the deal struck between the Iranian billionaire and the Merseysiders remain sketchy, with nobody at the club yet prepared to elaborate on the brief statement issued on Saturday.

Why, after all, is it only 49.9 per cent when financial experts would expect a businessman of Moshiri's wealth and experience to demand a controlling 51 per cent in return for such a huge investment?

MORE...
And what - if there is facility for Moshiri to increase his stake - is the formula within the deal that enables a full-scale £200million takeover? Further to that, who of the existing shareholders sold what to the University of London-educated, Monaco-based accountant? On Monday there was a curious degree of secrecy.

Privately, club officials suggest the 49.9 per cent enables chairman Bill Kenwright and director Jon Woods - who between them owned around 46 per cent of the club prior to the Moshiri deal - to retain some control on the board. Kenwright will remain chairman, even if Moshiri's stake gives him the most influential voice in the boardroom.

19BD9C4C000005DC-0-image-m-14_1456773475303.jpg

+8
Bill Kenwright will remain chairman, even if Moshiri’s stake gives him the most influential voice at the club
316B144200000578-0-image-a-18_1456753100217.jpg

+8
Martinez hopes to fulfil his ambition of leading Everton to the Champions League

Progress: 0%
00:00
Play
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time1:15

But it also gives Moshiri a chance to ease himself in before employing a mechanism - Sportsmail understands - to increase his stake to a controlling 75 per cent.

What we don't yet know is just how committed he is to managing the club's debt - most recently estimated to be in excess of £30m - investing in the squad, providing the club with a better chance of keeping their best players from the clutches of richer rivals and injecting some much-needed impetus into those new £300m stadium plans.

'We need to create a football club that the player wants to be part of,' said Martinez when discussing the vibrant young talents of Ross Barkley, John Stones and Romelu Lukaku, all of whom will be targets for top clubs this summer. On Monday night, Bosnian midfielder Muhamed Besic agreed a new deal that will keep the 23-year-old at the club until 2021.

'It is no good us saying, "Yes, we will keep such and such." If they don't want to stay it will be the wrong investment. But if such and such want to stay, can we make them stay? The answer now is yes. It is as simple as that.'

31B6453500000578-3469960-image-a-60_1456782997093.jpg

+8
On Monday night, Muhamed Besic agreed a new deal that will keep the 23-year-old at the club until 2021
Moshiri might have had a major stake in Arsenal but he has no form for any of this, the shares he held with his business partner Alisher Usmanov not enough to secure a place on the board at the Emirates.

It actually makes him something of an enigma. He is said to be an Arsenal supporter. But it has also been reported that he has a passion for Manchester United and once tried to buy Liverpool.

He certainly had a box at Arsenal, acquiring it after joining forces with Usmanov to purchase significant chunks of the north London club through their Red and White Holdings company.

In August 2007, they bought 14.65 per cent from former vice-chairman David Dein. A month later they increased that, in two instalments, to 23 per cent. Five years later, in June 2012, their stake increased again to just shy of 30 per cent. Moshiri sold his half back to Usmanov last week, thus providing him with the cash and the opportunity to complete a deal revealed by Sportsmail on Friday night.

Moshiri was Everton's preferred bidder, even though the Americans John Jay Moores and Charles Noell had a six-week exclusivity period examining the books over Christmas.

But even with an estimated fortune of £1.3billion, Moshiri is nothing like as wealthy as Usmanov - currently Russia's third-richest man - and this is something that also raises eyebrows in the City.

Experts wonder how much of his personal wealth Moshiri is really prepared to gamble on a Premier League football club.

He has clearly worked hard for it, after all, with records showing he has held at least 32 directorships from those early days as a chartered accountant working for firms like Ernst & Young and Deloitte.

3166AA5A00000578-0-Everton_have_had_an_inconsistent_season_but_Martinez_believes_wi-a-15_1456773506476.jpg

+8
Everton have had an inconsistent season but Martinez believes with new investment the club can push on
Martinez did not seem to have any such concerns on Monday, the Spaniard insisting this is a game-changer for the club - exactly the kind of investment they have long been waiting for. Moshiri, he said, 'had fallen in love with Everton' and was relishing the chance to have a proper say in the running of a football club.

'We haven't got to the stage of discussing his exact plans yet, I am sure that conversation will take place,' said Martinez.

'But he's been involved in a football club before and for a long time and he understands there has to be a process.

'I am sure we will get to a point where we set benchmarks but at the moment there is such a positive feel about his influence and the way he has connected with our chairman.'

Perhaps the club - still a private company, remember - will reveal more detail once the deal has been approved by the Premier League. And perhaps then Moshiri will be able to make clear his intentions.

The 60-year-old is certainly no stranger to the media. His wife Nazenin Ansari is an Iranian journalist and is understood to be the managing editor of Kayhan London, a weekly Persian-language newspaper. She is also a former president of the Foreign Press Association who has written for the Guardian.

On Monday one friend told this newspaper she has actually separated from Moshiri.

Together the couple have two grown-up children, one of whom also appears to be moving towards a career in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom