• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll The worst keeper we've ever had?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Your optioms

• Adrian

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Karius

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • James

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arphexad.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Mignolet

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Kirkland

• carson

• Other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Alisson is the best keeper we've had. However, we've had huge array of bad and ugly keepers.

We've probably had a worse keeper than "you know who", but imo not a worse first choice keeper.

I feel like there should be some sort of disqualifier for anybody that didn't actually play more than 20 games. How many would that remove from the above list

I feel like there should be some sort of disqualifier for anybody that didn't actually play more than 20 games. How many would that remove from the above list
I'm guessing Arphexad and Carson.
Brad Friedel is missing from that list considering that James is there. He wasn't a bad keeper, just wasn't that good for us and is nowhere near our worst keeper.

Arphexad was a good reserve keeper. Did nothing wrong. And won 6 trophies.

Karius once kicked a goal kick out for a corner and was called shit in a friendly by a Tranmere player.

Kirkland was semi permanently injured. He wasn't a terrible keeper, just cursed.

Mignolet was... ok, just lacked the personality. Thought he was mismanaged by Rodgers too.

I honestly do not recall seeing Carson or Pegguy play for us, ever.

Kirkland was semi permanently injured. He wasn't a terrible keeper, just cursed.

Mignolet was... ok, just lacked the personality. Thought he was mismanaged by Rodgers too.

I honestly do not recall seeing Carson or Pegguy play for us, ever.

Not even the Juve game in 2005?

He had a prime?
Brad Jones was actually a lot similar to what Danny Ward was. Capable goalkeepers that made some remarkable saves but ultimately a few errors overshadowed all that and that’s the problem you have being a number 2, you tend to only remember the bad. The same will happen with Kelleher down the line.

Actually remember there being a few calls for Brad to start over Pepe, who at that time was completely finished.

From memory it has to he Doni. I'm surprised he made 4 appearances for us because all I remember is him getting a red card when we were already missing Reina.

I'm going to limit it to keepers who were signed with the idea of them becoming first choice, and therefore go for Karius.

I won't dive into the concussion debate - it's certainly possible, and if that's the case the medical staff should take responsibility, but the fact the glaring errors could have been made with or without the concussion is what makes it a debate to begin with. Some fans have an idea that he was a good keeper before the CL final. He wasn't. He was no better than Mignolet. His clean sheets coincided with VVD's insane impact on our defensive game of which Karius took some plaudits based on stats, but he largely had fuck all to do, and there were still errors and moments that made us wince.

I've also selected Karius because I just have a general feeling he doesn't give a fuck about football, and it's more about the lifestyle than the game. That video he posted after the CL final still angers me. The fact he did nothing after Liverpool. The fact he bulked up bigger than a keeper ever should be. It's all about the Insta, so I just think he's a cunt on top of being a shit goalkeeper.

Although he was dirt cheap, I still maintain he's probably up there with Keita as the worst signing in the Klopp era.

Karius was a completely average keeper, forever marred by the biggest game of his life. A shame, but is what it is.

Tbh, dudek is getting away with it a bit, as more often than not he was completely average. The biggest night of his career absolutely has bigged him up in the memory of others.

There's probably not much in it between all or first choice keepers, Bar Ali and pepe

Kirkland also gets away with it a bit. I know he was pretty much defined by his constant injuries but even when he did play he wasn't that good.

Plus he cost £6 million. Fair bit of money back then, especially for a keeper.

Westerveld was our steady Eddie keeper. Not terrible, not great, just OK.

I made a list and it just couldn't be two options otherwise there would be no debate. So Carson was thrown in there because he is a Manc now, purely out of bitterness. Kirkland was always injured, huge bugbear of mine. Aphrexed, I just remember him being not the best but can't really remember him playing.
karius is the worst, if it wasn't for Prime VVD, we would have been fucked!

Last edited:
Of the first choice keepers it is Mignolet for me. Too many below par back up keepers to list. I think there is a strong case to argue that having good reserve & youth keepers really helps our attack, as they need to score against better keepers in training.

We should give a shout out to Andy Lonergan for being a legend training/ reserve keeper. Probably selected for his willingness to pick the ball out of the net.

I made a list and it just couldn't be two options otherwise there would be no debate. So Carson was thrown in there because he is a Manc now, purely out of bitterness. Kirkland was always injured, huge bugbear of mine. Aphrexed, I just remember him being not the best but can't really remember him playing.
Karius proves it

Weird though how you've included James in that list who was mostly ok given he's one of the youngest keepers we've ever had.

Where is Doni, Jones, Bogdan, Itandje, Cavalieri.

Weird though how you've included James in that list who was mostly ok given he's one of the youngest keepers we've ever had.

Where is Doni, Jones, Bogdan, Itandje, Cavalieri.
James nickname was "Calamity James" that's why he made the list! He made quite a few howlers in his time. Was he the worst, by a long way, no! But as i said I had to throw in names. The names you mentioned I couldn't remember ever playing other than Bogdan, but because he was real proper ginger, I felt sorry for him, and couldn't add him to the list

James nickname was "Calamity James" that's why he made the list! He made quite a few howlers in his time. Was he the worst, by a long way, no! But as i said I had to throw in names. The names you mentioned I couldn't remember ever playing other than Bogdan, but because he was real proper ginger, I felt sorry for him, and couldn't add him to the list
I know what his nickname was lol but we've stopped giving nicknames out and there's been about 6-7 other keepers that came after him who've all been worst.

How do you remember Carson playing but not Jones or Doni :redcard:.

James wasn't terrible, but we had him for too long. It's ridiculous the number of games that he ended up playing for us.

Obviously he was better than all of the long line of crappy back up keepers we had in the following years, and he was better than Karius, Mignolet and Kirkland but he was nowhere near as good as Alisson or Reina and I don't think he was as good as Dudek either. Not much in it between him and Westerveld.

James wasn't terrible, but we had him for too long. It's ridiculous the number of games that he ended up playing for us.

Obviously he was better than all of the long line of crappy back up keepers we had in the following years, and he was better than Karius, Mignolet and Kirkland but he was nowhere near as good as Alisson or Reina and I don't think he was as good as Dudek either. Not much in it between him and Westerveld.

I still think James was one of our most agile keepers. I mean he could make world class saves at times.

I know what his nickname was lol but we've stopped giving nicknames out and there's been about 6-7 other keepers that came after him who've all been worst.

How do you remember Carson playing but not Jones or Doni :redcard:.
I don't remember Carson. What happened was I accidently pressed "Add another option" , and thought Fuck! What do I do now? Couldn't find the delete button, So I remembered Carson is playing for City, that was reason enough!

I remember Carson, but only the Juventus game.

For a while he was considered quite promising. I think he only left because he wanted to, rather than us getting rid.

Obviously he never quite fulfilled that potential though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom