• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Napoli Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avmenon

Well-Known
There's probably a thread for this but I havent been able to get online for 3 nights so I'm not going to fucking look for it..

Firstly I'd a slight bone to pick with the missus; she told me that her friend that was coming with us 'liked' Liverpool but that he wasn't really into football.

I took it onto myself to of course try to turn him into a Red.

When I meet him on the Thursday morning shortly before we left Norwich, I decided to give him a Liverpool T-shirt in case he didnt have one.

Yes, it's very OOT but fuck it..it's such a thrill to wear a Liverpool footie shirt when you know you're going to travel to see a match later that night.

Besides, one legend on here who'd himself given me some shirts and stuff had told me that he'd been glad to give them to another Red who'd appreciate it..so I thought I'd do the same.

After I'd given him the shirt, he's very happy of course..but then confessed that whilst he 'liked' Liverpool; he was more of a fan of AC.MILAN.

I was not amused although I'd laughed it off at the time..(I'm still toying with ideas of how to get the shirt back)...

He's a nice guy and all...but rossoneri?..fuck that.

Least he wasnt a Manc.

Anyway, we make our way to Liverpool that morning and finally reach at about 1.30pm where I'd been supposed to meet Sunny's missus for the tickets..gutted that I couldnt meet the big man again though :(

(Suuny, please apologise to your missus..we were a bit late cos of traffic)

And thanks again,Sunny...sorry to bother her on lunch break..

So we get the tickets and check in...the missus' friend wants to see Liverpool since it as his first time..so we walk around and I try to dutifully talk to him about the club and our histoy as best I can..I'm not sure if the fucking Forza Milan guy isx actually interested but he seems too polite to say anything..though I do catch the missus giving me a few looks to say 'enough'.

But fuck it, I havent been home for a while and I was glad to be back.

So we walk around and show him a few sights,but eventually make our way to Anfield by car..we'd decided that it might be a bit tricky to get a bus or a cab after the game...so we drove in and managed to find a car-park..

I'db been a bit insistent that we leave early in case we got stuck in traffic, but in the end reached pretty early..

So we indulge in some chips and gravy ouside Anfield with my scarf wrapped around my neck, and I feel like I've belonged here all my life.

Then we spend a little time in the store where the missus buys a packet of mints because she likes the tin.

Eventually after milling around, we finally see people being let in and we make ourway to our seats.

It's pretty early by this time, about 7.30 or so but I was shocked to see the Annie Road already full of the away fans..

The Kop was reasonably full, but the Main Stand and Centenary wasnt, and I was sick with the thought that we were going to get outsung by the Napoli fans at Anfield.

I'd hoped that it'd be a good European night, especially since I was (still) trying to make a new Red...

But it's still prettyearly and theres a few songs going, which I happily explain to the misss and her friend.

It's eventually pretty full, and the Napoli fans are pretty loud in their support.

I get a feeling that the Kop end in particular doesnt like that, not one bit.

I was a bit concerned with the strength of the squad named, right so as it turned out.

Well, I'm sure that lots of posts have been made about the actual game itseldf by peple far more able than me, so I wont go into detail.

It's funny though that almost excatly when the whilstle went off I heard a very loud and distinct voice scream 'DONT GIVE IT TO POULSEN HE'S SHIT' from a few rows behind me.

And indeed he was, I think only Glen Johnson came close to surpassing his shiteness.

We never really got going and the eventual goal came, I think it was Poulsen's error, but it was a bit difficult to see.

That of course got the Napoli fans going; but the Kop response was fantastic.

There was genuine feeling and anger at the fact that they dares try to outdo us on our own patch.

We were louder, and a lot angrier.

(still rubbih on the pitch mind)...

I was really upset at the thought of watching us lose again tamely like with Blackpool (God, that was such a shit game).

Anyway, we see the subs warming up, and it was the sight of Gerrard warming up that really got the crowd moving.

The first half ended up pretty tamely,though I think both the missus and the friend were having a great time...they loved seeing the flags and the banners and my wife kept jumping up and down to try to touch the huge flag that was coming over the Kop..I'd told her how famous the flags were and she loved touching a bit history.

But in truth, I think they were both awestruck at the power of the Kop.

It certainly wasnt a patch on some more faous nights, of course.

But fuck me, the fans were certainly up for it that night.

As was Steven Gerrard.

HIs inclusion changed everything, as everyone knows..but the strength the crowd drew from his efforts on the pitch was unbelievable.

The songs were louder, the cheers were louder..and even the friend was shocked by he level of support from Anfield.

There was a comment in the earlier thread about how HOdgson needed to rest players for the Chelsea game because the Europa or Zooropa or whatever ahtung baby Leaguethey called itthese days was a shit meaningless trohy which noone cared for.

On that night, with the fans roaring and the lights blazing, it certainly didnt feel like it.

I can't help but feel that it's exactly that kind of attitud which has helped turn us from a mighty colossus to often also-rans.

I don't know.

Anyway, we were far better in the second half, especially with telling contributions from a few players.
The Napoli fans were giving us their own back, but every volley was returned far more forcefully.

We were magnificent; and I use the term 'we' with a huge sense of pride.

At first, I felt like I didnt want to sing the songs directly hitting Napoli.

The Hicks and Gillette song now being used for 'Napoli' and 'Fuck off to Italy'

Then they really took the piss with their banners, most of which I can't remember but one was 'Anfield Road? niente male' which I know couldnt have been nice..that was it...I think that really got the crowd going..

I've only been here a few times, and it feels like home everytime.

Sometimes home can feel a bit shit, but sometimes it can just feel so right.

It was right on Thursday..and it was loud..coming back from a goal down to eventually win in style with a Gerrard hattrick..

Well, no one could ask for more.

I was very worried at the end of the game though, I thought that Gerrad aside we'd been very poor..

A Scouse mother-daughter pair behind me echoed my thoughts and were glumly worried that we were going to get humped on Sunday...but that was momentarily put aside by singing 'YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE' to the Napoli fans...take your 'niente male' and shove it up you arse.

(still havent figured out what it means)

The game ends and I can see that both the missus and her friend have had a reat time; the missus apparently was delighted since it had been her first 'real' game...her first was Carra's testimonial..

The match ends and we slowly make our way outof Anfield to our car..there's a huge crowd of course but I cannot tell you how nice it feels to be part of the river.

(I had actually worn a Liverpool shirt but under my sweater; my wife suggested I wear my sweater as as undershirt and wear a Liverpool shirt on top;I of course scoff at the idea thinking that no one would do sucha thing...)

Yeah, no one.

Except for about 100 oded people at Anfield.

But I had something better.

The scarf; and I let my wife wave it around whilst singing YNWA.

She initially just went along with my crazed obsession of Liverpool, but now I think she's a fan in her own right.

I mean, who wouldnt have fallen in love with what we witnessed on Thursday?

As for her friend, well...I'm getting there.

Now I need to figure out how to get my shirt back.

Wish I'd been able to see the Chelsea game as well though.

One bad point about me wanting to go to a Liverpol game is that the missus always wants to tag along because we get to do some travelling...and around the time of the Chelsea match we were somewhere on the bloody M4.

Still, I can't complain too much.

Onwards and upwards.

With a bit better management, some money, and a top manager, we can get somewhere.

sounds like a top day..

i could only hear the Napoli fans during the initial parts of the game. I was wondering if SBS(tv station) were adjusting the volume to make the away fans sound louder but accidentely drowned out the Liverpool fans. You could certainly hear them in the second half though!

Fair play to you av, you're taking every chance to go to the matches whilst your over.

From norwich too,kudos.

If the Hicks and Gillett song's the one I think it is, it was used to have a pop at Italians long before those two slid into view. We sang it at Anfield (except it was "Go back" rather than "F'ck off" in those days) in the 1960s the night we beat Inter 3-1, before they and the referee cheated us out of our first European Cup in that infamous game over there.

Great read, Avvy, but when you post at that length can I recommend the use of conventional paragraphs. ;D

Soz,Jules 8)

HC : it's a bit hard to go as much as I'd like..but I'll try to go as often as I can..before I know it I'll not have the chance anymore..

ha good one Avvy, wait until you get a real European night someday.

It is 10 times louder than it was on Thursday ;)

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom