• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Magical World of Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieM

SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek
Honorary Member
From the Guardian :-

Roy Hodgson vows to buy quality not quantity for Liverpool in January

• Manager keen to avoid past mistakes in transfer window
• This will be first test of new owner's spending powers

Roy Hodgson says he will put Liverpool's long-term health before his need for immediate results in next month's transfer window as he admitted the club must learn from their wasteful strategy of recent years.

Next month will provide the first test of New England Sports Ventures' largesse in the transfer market since buying Liverpool for £300m in October. The manager is adamant that top-class additions are needed for the club to regain a place in the Champions League and is under pressure to prove to NESV that he can deliver a top-four finish.

Hodgson, however, believes Liverpool's predicament owes much to a short-term, expensive transfer strategy that existed before his arrival and is anxious to avoid repeating those mistakes, even if a lack of spending invites further criticism of his tenure. "When you get a job like this, should you be working for the long-term good of Liverpool or trying to get an extra result or two for Roy Hodgson?" he asked. "I'd like to think I am big enough and confident enough to take the long-term view, even though it might work against me.

"I might even prefer that in some ways because I would be very disappointed if I went out in January and spent a lot of money on the wrong players and then, come the summer, we are no better off. All we would be doing is adding a few more players who we don't think are good enough to the roster. I would be disappointed if I did that. I can't guarantee it won't happen but it is not my intention."

Hodgson admits NESV has not provided unlimited resources for next month and that he and Damien Comolli, the club's director of football strategy, must convince John W Henry and Tom Werner, Liverpool's owner and chairman respectively, that their targets are sound investments. But he says the calibre of player Liverpool need – such as Aston Villa's Ashley Young – may not be available and he will not flood the squad with average talents. That was a criticism often levelled at Hodgson's predecessor, Rafael Benítez, whom NESV has no intention of inviting back to Anfield should a managerial vacancy arise.

"There's no doubt that I and Damien are pushing the owners to back us if we come up with the right people," Hodgson said. "I think they probably will. The big question is will those players become available? Quite frankly we are targeting players that other clubs don't want to lose. We are not targeting players who are on the market and everyone is trying to find a club for.

"I think our supporters need to understand that and they will understand that. I think they've seen enough players brought into this club over the last couple of years. Around 20 have left since I've been here and haven't been replaced. We've gone down the route of 40, 50 professionals before, of saying: 'This one will do it or, if not, this one will do.' It's very important we don't do that again and just bring in the players we really need."

Despite the admission that new faces are required to obtain regular Champions League football, Hodgson believes Liverpool can deliver a stronger second half to the season even if he is ultimately frustrated in next month's transfer window. "We need to show a bit of faith in the players who are here," he said. "I'll give you two examples: Lucas Leiva and even Martin Skrtel. When I came to the club they were not players everyone was saying will win things for you and are top-class players. Many were saying Liverpool needed better than that. But by working with them and getting behind them and showing you believe in them, they become the players you want them to be.

"It is that delicate balance between having the courage to put your arm around someone and believing in them, and rejecting them and saying 'next please'. At the moment I am enjoying trying to get performances out of them. I realise we need better players to become a top-four team again and to become a constant top four team again, but those players are not easy to find and it would be a mistake to buy just because we have had a bad start to this season."

....At least he's enjoying himself..... unlike the rest of us.

Firs time in a few weeks that I've read a woy article and he's not come acroos as a total tool

It would be different if he hadnt bought shit players as well.

It's one thing to inherit crap players, but quite another to buy more crap as well.

Even Rafa had a few excellent transfer windows.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=43281.msg1237420#msg1237420 date=1293177630]
Firs time in a few weeks that I've read a Roy article and he's not come acroos as a total tool
[/quote]

Must be scripted.

Haha.

To be fair mark, given the circumstances he's adopted an awfully aggressive/defensive stance on EVERYTHING.

If I were in his position I'd keep everyone sweet when the goings tough.

“When you get a job like this at Liverpool, should you be working for the long-term good of Liverpool or trying to get an extra result or two for Roy Hodgson?â€

For this, I'll rest my case for a day. :p

I cant believe the bit 'I'll try to sign good players but im not promising they wont be shit'

I loathe having him as our manager.

I will concede that Lucas has played better under Roy, but his growth rate is still quite consistent with the growth rate he showed when he was under Rafa.

But Skrtel definitely looked twice the player under. Because there aren't many manager who can get a team working defensively as well as Rafa can. Skrtel had many flaws in his game, but under Rafa they were never exposed as much as it has been over the last 3 months.

Roy Hodgson taking credit for the improvement shown by those two players is embarrassing to say the least.

a. they are still not great players and you don't want to be using them as examples
b. they haven't exactly been doing that well under him...

This turning on Skrtel after one shit game is a bit much.

Most of the time he just looks worse than he is. The opposite of Agger really.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43281.msg1237506#msg1237506 date=1293191444]

[/quote]

I'm not turning on him mate. Far from it.

But i know he looked and played like a better defender under Rafa.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=43281.msg1237513#msg1237513 date=1293193371]
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43281.msg1237506#msg1237506 date=1293191444]

[/quote]

I'm not turning on him mate. Far from it.

But i know he looked and played like a better defender under Rafa.
[/quote]

I think the biggest variable with regards to Skrtels performance is the absence of Jamie Carragher.

"I won't put my future before Liverpool FC" - Roy Hodgson.

Fucking retire then!

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43281.msg1237559#msg1237559 date=1293206662]
I think the biggest variable with regards to Skrtels performance is the absence of Jamie Carragher.
[/quote]

I know this is a very crude way to put, but how do you explain this anyway?

1. Skrtel and Carra have been the center-back pairing for majority of last and this season
2. Last season we conceded 35 goals in all games. Which was not good by any means. But, this season we have conceded 22 goals from 17 games in the league, which is beyond the pale.

Something doesn't add up.

Masher was a big loss, but we got Konchesky who is supposedly defensively better than Insua. We also have Meireles and an improved Lucas compared to last season. So i'm not going to accept that Masher is the only difference.

So either you concede that Roy is not using the defenders properly, or you concede that Skrtel or Carra have become shit recently....which is it? I'm thinking Roy has something to do with this.

Sub plot - we tend to concede less goals when Agger plays instead of Skrtel. There is no relevant data for this this season though.

Liverpool's defence needs Carragher. It's been obvious to anyone with a brain since he got his leg broken at Blackburn years ago.

That was the moment most dullards finally realised that Jamie Carragher isn't just a defender; in many ways he *is* the defence

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=43281.msg1237591#msg1237591 date=1293216126]
Liverpool's defence needs Carragher. It's been obvious to anyone with a brain since he got his leg broken at Blackburn years ago.

That was the moment most dullards finally realised that Jamie Carragher isn't just a defender; in many ways he *is* the defence
[/quote]

if one of the defenders is the perma crock agger and the other is the positionally hapless skrtel, then yes, carra is going to missed but the truth is carra 'is' in decline and we as a club need to be looking for his long term replacement. let's be honest though, his long term replacement isn't at the club.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43281.msg1237599#msg1237599 date=1293219516]

[/quote]

if one of the defenders is the perma crock agger and the other is the positionally hapless skrtel, then yes, carra is going to missed but the truth is carra 'is' in decline and we as a club need to be looking for his long term replacement.
[/quote]

People said this for years about Hyypia, you don't realise what you've lost until it's gone. If truth be told, none of the others for one reason or another are upto the task, and it just gets magnified when Carra isn't there. We need to invest in quality and they need to partner Carra (for now at least), because money can't buy his never say die spirit nor his ability to drag us out the doldrums when our backs are against the wall.

It's only getting magnified even moreso because of Hodgon's inability to maintain the solidity we once had, and when you have two positionally hapless cunts like Johnson and Konchesky either side of the defence, it would spell disaster for anyone. We need to get back to having a defence that defends well as a unit, there are six other players on the pitch who can concentrate on attack.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=43281.msg1237603#msg1237603 date=1293219884]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43281.msg1237599#msg1237599 date=1293219516]

[/quote]

if one of the defenders is the perma crock agger and the other is the positionally hapless skrtel, then yes, carra is going to missed but the truth is carra 'is' in decline and we as a club need to be looking for his long term replacement.
[/quote]

People said this for years about Hyypia, [/quote]

not me. he is argubly the best header of the ball we've ever had, one of the best readers of the game I've ever seen and he had no pace to lose.
for the record I'm not saying carra should be moved on I'm saying we should be looking to get carra's long term replacement and slowly phasing carra out, that can't happen when carra is clearly the best defender at the club (but in decline).

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43281.msg1237607#msg1237607 date=1293220207]

[/quote]

[/quote]

not me. he is argubly the best header of the ball we've ever had, one of the best readers of the game I've ever seen and he had no pace to lose.
for the record I'm not saying carra should be moved on I'm saying we should be looking to get carra's long term replacement and slowly phasing carra out, that can't happen when carra is clearly the best defender at the club (but in decline).
[/quote]

Of course it's something we need to look at. But look at it this way. He's still our best centre back, so our priority isn't finding a replacement, it's finding someone better than the other three.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=43281.msg1237608#msg1237608 date=1293220295]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43281.msg1237607#msg1237607 date=1293220207]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course it's something we need to look at. But look at it this way. He's still our best centre back, so our priority isn't finding a replacement, it's finding someone better than the other three.
[/quote]

oh, we DEFINATELY need another center back.
agger is always (ALWAYS!) injuried
skrtel has no positional sense whatsoever
the greek in dominate in the air but is he good at attacks on the ground? he seems to get caught out pretty often.

We have Wilson, Kelly, & Ayala who are all probably capable of making it at the top level.

The problem. As has been mentioned is not the future players nor the current ones, but the current old duffer of a manager.

I wonder why we've heard so little from the pundits about how it's great we got rid of that useless zonal marking system. Oh wait, that's right, we're conceding more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom