• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Lions

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=32866.msg891964#msg891964 date=1245505832]
For someone who knows nothing about the dark arts of the scrum, is Vickery doing anything cynical here?

[/quote]

Not really, every tighthead looks to drive inwards on the hooker even though they're supposed to stay straight. The problem is the Boks loosehead is an absolute powerhouse and he's pushing straight onto Vickery and twisting him. Meaning Vickery is getting no pressure on the hooker and his body is in a position which makes it impossible for him to lock out and defend against the Boks power.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=32866.msg891967#msg891967 date=1245506191]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg891965#msg891965 date=1245506047]
The only positive is that as bad as we've been we're only 8 points down.

[/quote]

12 points?
[/quote]

Forgive me. I'm a bit tired and emotional today.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg891971#msg891971 date=1245506312]
For someone who knows nothing about the dark arts of the scrum, is Vickery doing anything cynical here?

[/quote]

Not really, every tighthead looks to drive inwards on the hooker even though they're supposed to stay straight. The problem is the Boks loosehead is an absolute powerhouse and he's pushing straight onto Vickery and twisting him. Meaning Vickery is getting no pressure on the hooker and his body is in a position which makes it impossible for him to lock out and defend against the Boks power.
[/quote]

how do you stop that?

[quote author=red_maradona link=topic=32866.msg891975#msg891975 date=1245506440]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg891971#msg891971 date=1245506312]

[/quote]

[/quote]

how do you stop that?
[/quote]

Vickery just needs to meet him straight on and forget about attacking the hooker. He'll still struggle because the Boks loosehead seems to have a serious power advantage , but if Vickery concentrates on absorbing the hit keeping his hips low and back straight he can just be a conduit for the power behind him and a bit of a shick absorber for the power in front of him.

Here comes Jones on for him now, lets see how he gets on

I hope Phillips got that down.

Nice play from us there, but the ref is letting them away with a lot of interference at the breakdown, we really need to bring back proper old fashioned rucking

No try for Phillips.

Rees on for Mears.

Jones makes a big impression in his first scrum, he drove back the loosehead.

Stephen Jones does a ROG when Spies runs at him

The Boks are starting to get really niggly, O'Connell needs to knock one of them out.

Fucking hell. Bad time to give away a penalty there. Rees for punching their hooker after we'd been given a penalty in front of their posts in the 22.

The one positive is I'm not sold on the Springboks defence, especially around the fringes but also in open-play when we manage to keep possession long enough.

As of now though, the Lions have an awful amount of work to do, otherwise a whitewash beckons.

Croft again. He's been quick to learn that flankers do very well by running off BOD's shoulder.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=32866.msg892010#msg892010 date=1245508231]
The one positive is I'm not sold on the Springboks defence, especially around the fringes but also in open-play when we manage to keep possession long enough.

As of now though, the Lions have an awful amount of work to do, otherwise a whitewash beckons.
[/quote]

It's not over yet and we've been better in the second half. There's no way Vickery will start next time around, Mears may well get dropped too since Rees has been pretty good since he came on. O'Driscoll has put in a few decent kicks which has forced mistakes from the Springboks , if we have an outhalf that could do that we'd be fine.

Monye fucks up in a great one on one situation. We could have been right back in the game.

Drop Monye too and bring Luke Fitzgerald next time.

I'm starting to think that Guardian article I posted ages ago was actually quite astute rather than a piss take. Ireland would be better off were we not forced to play players from Wales and England.

If Monye had scored a few minutes ago we'd be ahead now.

Nice little break by Phillips catches the Springbok defence asleep.

True, that probably was over-dramatic.

If we took our chances we could've been right in this.

Again the fringes of SA at the breakdown get exploited. Come on...

Back
Top Bottom