• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer 2014

Dude take off the players who have gone elsewhere.

Dude take off the players who have gone elsewhere.

Why? There might be some value in looking at our former targets, even if we didn't get them. I just put them in a different color for now, later will lump them all to a different category.

OK, I decided that it's time. "Pie-in-the-sky" category is eliminated, because now with the Suarez money and the need to replace him with a top-notch attacker, previously unattainable targets such as Reus or Isco, might be not out of realm of possibility. I created a new category instead called "Suarez replacements".

Players such as Vidal or Pogba, despite playing in a completely different position to Suarez, also belong in that category. When you're in the hunting for players at the very top of the food chain – the real or budding superstars – price and position stop mattering. The only thing that counts is their availability and competition from other clubs. I don't think we will sign more than one from that list. But we might sign one. Gaitan is not as much a household name as some of the others, but he is a super talent and won't be cheap. If none from our top targets in this category are attainable, I believe we'll move for him.

After Lovren capture, we are finally in the "red" with our spending, including Suarez money. For now, only £1M spent, but that's going to increase very soon.

Missing some updates
- Karl Darlow moved from Forest to Newcastle;
- Rodrigo Moreno is on loan from Benfica to Valencia;
- Andre Gomes moved form Benfica to Valencia

Also, the section on players who could return from loan doesn't seem relevant anymore since they all have. ;)

Missing some updates
- Karl Darlow moved from Forest to Newcastle;
- Rodrigo Moreno is on loan from Benfica to Valencia;
- Andre Gomes moved form Benfica to Valencia

Also, the section on players who could return from loan doesn't seem relevant anymore since they all have. ;)

Thanks!

By "could return from loan" I meant that we are not sure any of these players will still be with the team at the end of the transfer window. Even Ibe could theoretically be sent back on loan, whereas the likes of Borini is unlikely to play for us next season. Those this category is for "potential" additions to the squad by way of players returning from loans, but we won't know for sure until end of the window.

I think your sums are off for purchases mate.

Regardless we have only spent about 23 or 24 net

You say 99m but it looks like it adds up to more than that to me.

You say 99m but it looks like it adds up to more than that to me.

Markovic 20 + Lovren 20 + Can 10 + Lallana 23 + Origi 10 + Moreno 12 + Lambert 4 = 99.

Of course there are will be add-ons, but I don't count those (besides we also receive add-ons on players we sell, so I assume it kind of evens out).

Perhaps confusion could stem from the £5m allowed for the Manquillo loan(signings segment) not being included in the Transfer Spending figure. Players sold seems to add to only £79m(without add-ons) and is separate from any money made from loans out, I may be completely wrong. Anyway great thread, keep up the good work. Whereas others say "I don't care how much we spend on transfers, it's not my money", it's actually hugely important to the survival of the club, that we almost lost just few years ago.

It is a good thread and the most insightful comment was the first reply, though it took that suggestion becoming reality before it was reflected in the title post :)

Perhaps confusion could stem from the £5m allowed for the Manquillo loan(signings segment) not being included in the Transfer Spending figure. Players sold seems to add to only £79m(without add-ons) and is separate from any money made from loans out, I may be completely wrong. Anyway great thread, keep up the good work. Whereas others say "I don't care how much we spend on transfers, it's not my money", it's actually hugely important to the survival of the club, that we almost lost just few years ago.

I definitely can't count Manquillo money now; we DIDN'T buy him yet! We didn't even decide to buy him and I still don't understand if Atletico have a right to recall him next year or not. Anyway, for sure I can count the loan fee (for now it's undisclosed, I think), but not the potential buy-out fee of 2 years later. That's going to be counted in the summer we actually buy him, if we decide to do so.

It's like counting Cissokho's "potential" 4M fee that never materialized – that would make no sense. Or count Reina's buy-out clause at Napoli as income. Anyway, you get the point.

Last year's thread also calculated the impact the ins and outs had on wages. Any idea / estimates for this year?

If the Balotelli signing is really only 16M or so, then our net spend will only be 35M.

Plus all the talks about Assaidi(7M), Borini(12M), Agger(8M?), Lucas(Loan or 8M?), Johnson(0M).

We might be able to make one more real quality signing if we can ship out some of the deadwood.

Updated for the last time. Our total spending on transfer fees this summer has been around £30M.

I have been wondering what affect our transfer business would have on the wage bill. To the best of my knowledge, we have let go of players who were earning approximately 490k/week which comes close to 25.5 Million per year.
Suarez 200k,
Reina 100k,
Agger 120k,
Coady 5k,
Kelly 45k,
Robinson 20k

We have also loaned out a number of players whose wages would be paid by the clubs we have loaned them out to. Additional wage savings from Mosses and Cissokho going back to their parent clubs, however they would have been offset by players like Borini & Suso returning from loans.

No idea how much we are paying in wages for the players who we have bought in this window.

Back
Top Bottom