• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suarez SIGNED. Welcome to Liverpool Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article in the Guardian. The part on his gf/wife (?) previously failing to settle in Amsterdam might be a bit of bother in due course. Hopefully not.

----

link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/05/luis-suarez-liverpool

Luis Suárez, the romantic hothead who fought his way to Liverpool

The love of a woman brought the controversial Uruguayan to Europe but the striker has more to offer than passion

* Louise Taylor
* guardian.co.uk, Saturday 5 February 2011 22.00 GMT

Luis Suárez is famous for many things but to employees of Beter Horen, a Dutch hearing aid company, he will always be remembered as the face of a television advertisement promoting its discreet earpieces.

That oft-repeated commercial offered some instructive insights into the character of Liverpool's new £22.8m attacking acquisition from Ajax. While primarily demonstrating Suárez's capacity to laugh at himself – his hallmark pointy ears are a big reason why he was hired for the job – it also highlighted the striker's often vexed relationship with authority.

The Uruguayan was filmed wandering into an Amsterdam branch of Beter Horen and seeking advice about purchasing an "anti-whistle arranger". Suárez then articulated the hope that a product designed to eliminate irritating background aural interference would block out the "very annoying" sounds of referees' whistles ringing in his ears.

Motioned to the side of the store and asked to "sit on the bench" while an alternative prescription for earplugs was dispatched, he reacted in mock horror, stating: "Suárez is never a substitute."

As both a great goalscorer and a scorer of great goals he is, indeed, rarely benched but some well-documented differences with match officials do tend, periodically, to sideline him from the action.

At the time Beter Horen made that advert he was well known as an exponent of dodgy penalty-area dives. Last summer Suárez embellished his crime sheet with the most outrageous handball seen at a World Cup since Diego Maradona's Hand of God intervention against Bobby Robson's England. It denied Ghana a place in the semi-finals, when the penalty awarded as a result was not converted.

In November his hitherto glorious Ajax career ground to an ignominious halt thanks to a seven-game suspension imposed for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal on the shoulder. The incident, in stoppage time at the end of a league game, was retaliation for Bakkal standing on his foot. Apparently mortified, the culprit filmed a seemingly heartfelt if arguably over-acted apology and, confirming he was very much a man of his time, uploaded it to his Facebook page. "Normally I'm calm," Suárez said. "But I was a little tired, I'd done a lot of travelling."

By last Wednesday night social networking outlets from Merseyside to Montevideo were buzzing with the news that, despite lacking time to train with his new Liverpool team-mates, El Pistolero had scored a debut goal 10 minutes after being introduced as a substitute against Stoke City.

Today Suárez is likely to start at Stamford Bridge where he will be closely compared with the man he was initially supposed to partner rather than replace in Kenny Dalglish's side. With Fernando Torres expected to make his Chelsea bow, the afternoon promises to be painted as a shoot-out between El Niño and El Pistolero.

A creator as much as a scorer, Suárez is, in reality, a very different player from Torres. Dalglish has surely bought him not to lead Liverpool's attacking line but either to play off his fellow newcomer, the currently injured £35m Andy Carroll, as an often deep-lying secondary striker or to serve as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 formation.

When, in 1999, a deceptively angelic-looking Carroll began starring for Low Fell Under-11s in Gateshead, Suárez – two years the English boy's senior – had already left home for Montevideo and a place in the "nursery" of the leading club Nacional.

Born in Salto, a city close to the border with Argentina and famed for its thermal baths, Suárez is the fourth of seven sons – (his elder brother Paulo is also a professional footballer, playing in El Salvador) – brought up by a single mother. When he was four, people started noticing that he ran fastest with a ball at his feet. By 11 Nacional's scouts had arranged for him to be transferred to the care of Montevideo?based grandparents while joining their junior academy.

If his talent always seemed likely to transport him one day to Europe, love accelerated the process. As a young teenager in Uruguay's capital Suárez had fallen for a girl called Sofia. Their romance was destined to feature a wedding which dominated the glossy front page of Caras – (South America's answer to Hello!) – but temporarily seemed doomed when her family relocated to Barcelona. Desperate not to lose Sofia, the by now 19-year-old striker engineered himself an €800,000 move to Groningen. While Dutch football's purist soul undeniably appealed, the Netherlands' situation, a short-haul hop from Spain, was even more attractive.

"I had the girl of my dreams back," says the 24-year-old. "But in career terms I always had it clear in my mind that this was the big chance of my life. At the beginning it was not easy, I could not speak Dutch or English and communication was incredibly hard but I knew I could not give up."

Ten goals in 29 appearances for Groningen were sufficient to prompt a €7.5m switch to Ajax, where he began a metamorphosis from capriciously gifted hothead to Dutch football's 2010 player of the year. Along the way he joined Johan Cruyff, Marco van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp in scoring more than 100 times for Ajax in all competitions.

Although slightly stronger on his right side, Suárez is essentially two?footed. Allied to both an adhesive first touch and a vision and awareness that makes it hard to credit he is not wearing wing mirrors, such dexterity makes life immensely tough for defenders.

Throw in superb mobility, rapid change of pace and Carlos Tevez-esque determination and it is easy to appreciate how Suárez registered 35 goals in 33 Eredivisie appearances last season.

"Luis is going to bring Liverpool alive because he is a street fighter," says Rik van den Boog, Ajax's managing director, who was not surprised by Martin Jol's decision to make the Uruguayan captain. "Luis was not a big player when he arrived here but he soon stood up in the dressing room and became a leader."

Sometimes controversial, his captaincy style combined admirable personal discipline – Suárez unfailingly returned to training the day after flying back from international duties performed half a world away – with a heart-on-the-sleeve passion sometimes unpalatable to referees and managers.

Back in the days when Suárez routinely attracted blizzards of yellow cards, Van Basten managed Ajax. Their relationship, often emotionally charged, frequently proved tense but the former Holland striker still cannot hide his admiration. "Luis is unpredictable, he's hard to influence but that makes him special," Van Basten says.

Happily the chemistry with the now similarly departed Jol was considerably healthier. "Martin made me a better player," Suárez says. "He made me feel important." Aware that his star striker's still beloved Sofia struggled to settle in Amsterdam and returned to live in Barcelona before giving birth to a baby daughter, Delfina, last August, Jol was, importantly, always available to place a reassuring arm round his shoulder.

Dalglish, realising that behind the swashbuckling facade the Uruguayan needs to be needed and nurtured, made sure his first words to Suárez were "Hola ... Bienvenido" (hello and welcome). "Those basics impressed me," he says. "Now I do not want to disappoint Kenny Dalglish in any way."

The eyes of a betrayed African nation bore into him in South Africa last summer. Who can forget his handling of Dominic Adiyiah's goalbound header in the Ghana v Uruguay World Cup quarter-final and subsequently defiant celebration as Asamoah Gyan missed the ensuing penalty? (Dalglish may prefer to see it as a decent save reflecting Suárez's penchant for pulling on a pair of gloves and livening up Ajax training sessions by showing off some surprising skills between the posts.)

He remains happiest tormenting goalkeepers but, while Liverpool fans are already convinced his transition from Dutch to English football will prove as seamless as Ruud van Nistelrooy's, the unhappy experiences of other Eredivisie exports including Mateja Kezman, Afonso Alves and Jon Dahl Tomasson – brought, incidentally, to Newcastle by Dalglish – suggest judgment should be reserved.

"There will be pressure on me to succeed every time I step on the pitch," Suárez acknowledges. "But I want to enjoy the experience. There is no point me being here if I don't have fun."

[size=11pt]Suarez keen to keep on scoring[/size]

Luis Suarez today revealed the weight which has been lifted off his shoulders after scoring on his Liverpool debut - and insisted the Reds can still set their sights high this season.

copy_(2)_of_108478097ap013_luis_suarez_.jpg

The Uruguayan international celebrated his first goal for his new club against Stoke in midweek, and will be looking to add to his tally when Kenny Dalglish's men take on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge later today.

Suarez admits to already have a goal under his belt has eased the pressure on him - but now he's determined to fire more goals to aid Liverpool's quest to enjoy a successful final few months of the campaign.

"It went through my mind after the game against Stoke that now I have scored my first goal the pressure has eased a little," he said.

"As a striker, you do think about scoring goals but that is not going to worry me now.

"I hope that I can settle in here very quickly both on and off the pitch.

"But I have never been the type of person to let pressures off the field affect my game. As soon as I step out on the park the only thing I concentrate on is the next 90 minutes. It has always been like that for me from an early age.

"It didn't matter whether I was playing for a junior team at ­Nacional in Uruguay or for the national team or Ajax."

He added: "The reason I chose Liverpool was because this has ­always been a club I have equated with the Champions League.

"I am not suggesting we are ­definitely going to qualify this year, but the expectation is there.

"You can never say what will ­happen in ­football. We know we are a few points behind

"Chelsea are in fourth place, but our hopes and expectations are that we will be fighting to get a place in the top four.

"All kinds of results can happen in English football, so it gives us hope that it could happen."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/suarez-keen-to-keep-on-scoring

Lost in translation? Bizarre fee sounds rather 'bizarre'

Ajax chief Rik van den Boog has revealed how they played hardball with Liverpool over the sale of Luis Suarez.

Though they received a "bizarre" price for Suarez, Van den Boog still has mixed feelings over the striker's sale.

"Liverpool came in first with twelve million euros because there were people in the Netherlands that had established Luis could leave for fifteen million euros," he told NUSport.

"We said, 'Ha, if that is what you're offering, fine, he will stay with us'.

"'Come on,' they said, 'no one is going to offer 15 million euros for a player from The Netherlands. Cut the c*** and sell him to us.'

"We continued to stand firm. They could not believe it. Eventually they tempted us with that bizarre amount."

Ajax sold Suarez to Liverpool for €26.5 million.

They probably would have if we'd negotiated harder; but it was always going to be difficult in a transfer window.

Particularly if the Torres rumblings had been going on before the transfer request.

Liverpool not on list of Suarez suitors

Liverpool signing Luis Suarez didn't always have his heart set on a move to Anfield, judging by comments he made to FourFourTwo before last year's World Cup.

The 24-year-old Uruguayan international scored an incredible 81 goals in 110 league outings prior to joining Kenny Dalglish's rejuvenated Reds for £22.8 million.

He had long been linked with a string of Premier League suitors, with Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea all reportedly keen to add the lethal front-man to their ranks.

Suarez's chances of being bid for by Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Carlo Ancelotti during the close-season were enhanced following his performances at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, with his three goals helping Uruguay reach the semi-finals, where they were eliminated by the Netherlands.

However, the summer transfer window came and went with Suarez eventually staying put at the Amsterdam Arena, rather than moving on to either Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium or Stamford Bridge.

And, come January, it was the Reds who were to swoop for his services, with Suarez joining £35 million arrival Andy Carroll at Anfield to try and revive Liverpool's fortunes following a sustained period of strife under, first, Rafael Benitez and Roy Hodgson, culminating in the departure of star striker Fernando Torres to Chelsea.

But prior to the World Cup, while listing the clubs he would be keen to join, Suarez failed to give his eventual new employers a mention, instead revealing his desire to join rivals Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea, as well as Barcelona.

"The Premier League is a great competition," he told FourFourTwo.

"If teams like Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal come to talk, we'll talk. It would be good to be a very attack-minded club, which suits my game. But, to be honest, my lifelong dream is to play for Barcelona."

Suarez is, as he requested, in an offensively-minded team alongside Carroll, Steven Gerrard, Raul Meireles, Joe Cole, Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez and Glen Johnson.

The striker scored his first goal for Liverpool on his debut against Stoke earlier this month.

Looks like in 2 years or so he will fuck us off and go to barca then

From Suarez's tweet & FB update:
A new match this afternoon. Looking forward to playing at Anfield again. I really hope to win and get 3 points! That's for you Bruno!

Esta tarde partido, con muchas ganas de saltar de nuevo a Anfield. Espero que nos podamos llevar los 3 puntos. Va por ti Bruno!

only saw the MOTD highlights just now, but wow, looks like he could be a bargain even at this stage. such a joyful player to watch, the kind we've been relatively starved of while i've been a fan - i'd say only fowler and torres in his first season, and maybe mcmanaman and the kewell of 03/04 come into that category.

really exciting.

[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=43645.msg1284813#msg1284813 date=1297552311]
I think we Suarez have his version of a bad game today.
[/quote]

and if this is his version of a bad game, I am very happy with it. He was just a bit unlucky not to have 2+ goals today. A couple inches here or there and we're laughing our way to 3-1

I'm pleased he can create changes for himself.

He's going to need to when Kuyt, Lucas and Maxi are your creative talent.

Forty years ago we signed Keegan and put him in the no.7 shirt. It was a time of transition for us then too, but (as Shanks said in his book) Keegan energised the whole team. Two seasons later we were champions again and the main bit of our glory days had begun.

Here's hoping.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43645.msg1284825#msg1284825 date=1297566235]

[/quote]

You really don't like Kuyt do you Squiggs? You've mentioned a couple of hundred times now ;)

[quote author=cobrastatus link=topic=43645.msg1284824#msg1284824 date=1297560133]
[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=43645.msg1284813#msg1284813 date=1297552311]
I think we Suarez have his version of a bad game today.
[/quote]

and if this is his version of a bad game, I am very happy with it. He was just a bit unlucky not to have 2+ goals today. A couple inches here or there and we're laughing our way to 3-1
[/quote]

Quite. Hit the post and the bar. That's shit that is.

[/quote]

yeah, good point. except gerrard, meireles, johnson and kelly are the creative members of our team.

so....maybe not such a clever point after all then. big surprise.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=43645.msg1284900#msg1284900 date=1297599698]

[/quote]

yeah, good point. except gerrard, meireles, johnson and kelly are the creative members of our team.

[/quote]

Heh.. It's still not exactly coming from the key areas. We are creating chances though, but imagine what we'd do with quality outwide? We've lacked that bit of spontaneity over the last few years, probably since Garcia, now we've got Raul and Suarez who look like they can occasionally come up the goods when we're lacking inspiration.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43645.msg1284912#msg1284912 date=1297602110]
I miss garcia

[/quote]

i don't, not really. what i'd really miss is a really consistent, pacy, technically gifted wide player, but unfortunately it's been so long i've got used to the deprivation.

i'm certain we'll sign someone like that in the summer, though.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=43645.msg1284900#msg1284900 date=1297599698]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yet what you miss is a technically gifted wide player? Wasn't that more or less his point, given he picked out two of our wide players in Maxi and Kuyt?

You're all over the fucking place.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=43645.msg1285013#msg1285013 date=1297623412]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yet what you miss is a technically gifted wide player? Wasn't that more or less his point, given he picked out two of our wide players in Maxi and Kuyt?

You're all over the fucking place.
[/quote]

er no for crying out loud. he pinpointed our creative players as the problem, see 'creative talent'. he then gave examples of 2 players who play in *some* of the traditional creative positions in the sport of football, while apparently neglecting to consider the players who play in the *other* creative roles. comprende?

good try, though, Lenny.

I selected the players who were on the pitch when we were looking for a winner against Wigan, which was pretty obvious really.

You could have just said Johnson and Kelly were also responsible, but chose instead to you make yourself appear a weird, obsessive bore.

It's been 2 games and he's been fantastic so far.

There's no argument that we need more quality though; if we don't he's definitely off in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom