1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Stealing the English

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Mors, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

I know it seems to be Utd's new policy, but should we be looking at trying to poach any of the English players in the summer window? Could we afford them and would they come here? I think our style of football, chance of winning major honours, and Klopp would have a big pull, but it might be offset vs bench time. We're a far more attractive option than Utd as we're not a 100 years away from winning anything major again unlike them, although they can offer stupid wages.

A few options:

Kane - I know Levy would want silly money, but come the end of this season when they've won fuck all as usual, a load of their players leave, there's no top 4 maybe, and poch has had the sack. Might he look at it and think 'fuck spending my best years here and winning nothing'. He'd be perfect as a Bobby replacement, but it really would have to be a replacement, he wouldn't go on the bench for that money.

Sancho - Probably the best bet. He'd be expensive, but could slot into Mane/Salah's role easy and is a fantastic player. Presume again, we'd have to sell Mane of Salah first.

Maddison - I think he's a cracking player. Not sure how much they'd want for him but presume it'd be considerable if he would leave. Would add that extra creativity our midfield needs and is already familiar with playing in a similar style. Would accept bench time I think.

Grealish - Now I think he's a cunt, but to give him his dues, he's been very good for the Villa for a few years now, and he's been very good this season. Can do a bit of everything too. Not sure how he'd fit into a high intensity pressing game as I've seen him be a lazy fucker a few times, but I guess from a fitness point of view he can do it. Would accept bench time.

Odoi - Same as Kane, would they even sell to us? Much like Sancho, great player and would fit easily into the Mane/Salah spots, but doubt he'd come take any bench time.

2. manwithnoname

manwithnoname Bravo old man. Bravo. Member

Odoi has literally just signed a 5 year contract, there's precisely fuck all chance. And Kane? Levy would ask for £200m or something absurd, even before we get to the likelihood of him wanting to leave Spurs for us.

There's some merit in discussing Sancho, as he is unlikely to want to spend his career in Germany, so it's possible his next move would be to make a return to the Premier League, but again, would we be able to afford his likely fee? It would seem to be only likely if we fund any such move by selling Mane or Salah beforehand.

3. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

We already got Elliott and Brewster ;)

bluebell, SummerOnions and Woland like this.
  4. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

Maddison is quality, but he is a Manc right, so unlikely he would be hugely interested in coming to us?

5. Peatcheo

Peatcheo Well-Known Member

As a long term plan for replacing our front 3 we should absolutely be looking at Jadon Sancho.

Salah and Mane are both 28 and Sancho is a perfect fit to their style of play.

Firmino is easily the hardest of the three to replace, who is like him in modern football?

6. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

Son is the closest I see to Firmino, but with more emphasis on raw pace at times and less on close control & skill. Would love to know what Jurgs and his team have up their sleeve replacement wise.

Agree on Sancho - that would be an incredible marquee signing.

7. manwithnoname

Firmino is still only 28, and he's hardly got much pace to lose, so I don't see any need to worry about replacing him just yet.

But when we do, are you suggesting that there isn't any other player on Earth like him? And in the unlikely event that is the case, why do we need a "like for like" anyway?
    He's inarguably important to how we play now, but it's not like Liverpool, or Klopp or any other team haven't won trophies without a Firmino in the side.

8. juniormember

juniormember Well-Known Member

I love Firmino but I think he’s a bit of a Suarez-lite.
    Suarez had the skills, stamina, work rate of Firmino plus more strength and that killer ability in front of goal. As valuable as Firmino is to our team right now, surely we can find a player in his mould at some point. But I’d prefer for us to look even harder for the next Suarez. Now THAT is going to be tough.

9. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Very Active Member

Firmino and Suarez are players with swag and we don't got too many of them.

If we replace Firm one day, he's got to have swag.

10. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

Well we did manage to unearth Ricky Lambert when Suarez left so I'm not worried in the slightest.

11. manwithnoname

It's a shame we didn't give the post-Suarez Lambert-Borini-Balotelli attacking axis more of a chance, really.

darkstarexodus likes this.
  12. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

Anyways I reckon we could sign this kid Danny Ings. He's got 4 in 9 this season at our feeder club Southampton. Imagine what he could do with better service.

darkstarexodus likes this.
  13. manwithnoname

That lad at Stoke look a baller. Joe Allen. I think we could get him.

14. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

QPR's Eberechi Eze seems to be earning rave reviews

15. manwithnoname

Eze good! Eze good!
    He's Eberechi Eze good!

tomasjj, Dirty Sanchez, SaRed and 6 others like this.
  16. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Very Active Member

Jay Jay Okocha ?

17. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

Salzburg’s Minamino. Tadic. Possibly Van de Beek or Havertz with some positional adjustment. There are a couple more I probably forgot. A hard-working playmaker-striker is not the most common type, but they do exist.

I think the consistent productivity, speed and work-rate of Salah and Mane will be damn hard to replace, especially if we have to replace both. Just imagine the drop-off if we had, say, Sancho and Ziyech instead of Mo and Sadio in every game.  I don’t think we would be anywhere close to challenging for the title.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  18. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Didi says we are looking at / after Sancho. Didn't Dortmund already turn down £100m ?

19. manwithnoname

As if Didi Hamann knows anything about what Liverpool are doing.

But in any case, what club AREN"T looking at Sancho?

20. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Well he's likely to be somewhat in the know what's going on in GERMANY to a degree isn't he.