• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So, Luis to Barca.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
As mentioned in the bite thread a number of papers are reporting that Ayre is to meet in London with Barca reps to discuss the deal.

Is there a scenario where we come out significantly better because of this deal or is it a loss no matter what?

It'll be a loss no matter what -- you just can't replace someone like Suarez easily. It's about mitigating the loss and the best mitigation is Sanchez + £50-60 million because we're assured of a class player.

I honestly couldnt give a fuck.

1.Club
2.Fans
3.Mr Rodgers
4.Players who would run through walls for the club
5.The rest.

you can never replace one of the best players in the world - and even if we use the money to the max and bring in quality players, it will be hard to bring what Suarez bought to the squad - his desire to win was something that the whole club fed off of (no pun intended)

Is there a scenario where we come out significantly better because of this deal or is it a loss no matter what?

It depends on what the criteria is, to be honest. In purely footballing terms (if we sign Sanchez) we'll be replacing one of the best players in the world with a player not as good, so we'll be losing out. But from my point of view we'll be losing a player I don't want associated with Liverpool and getting in one that I would be happy to be associated with our club, so that's a win.

Re-posted from the locked thread.

There are so many positives for Luis to move to Barcelona that I really can't blame him at all. He gave us 3 great seasons and a fantastic 2013/14 - such a pity we couldn't get across the line.

Sanchez is a favourite of mine. I really think he's a chance of improving again for a fluid central spot (that Luis had alongside Sturridge).

He's got something of Suarez's gnarly desire to win and is lightning fast (quicker than Suarez). He's also a fairly accomplished finisher (though not in Luis' league - yet).

Yes, we'd be losing a top-3-in-world striker. But I think Sanchez, at just turned 25, has the potential to improve and do a Suarez over the next 3 years, whilst combining 110% effort without the annoying bollocks.

So - 40m + Sanchez and I'm happy. Hell, I'd take 35m+

As mentioned in the bite thread a number of papers are reporting that Ayre is to meet in London with Barca reps to discuss the deal.

Is this a report or speculation?

Why meet in London, neutral ground?

Will Ban Ki Moon be in attendance?

Is John Lennon airport closed?

There's still the (increasingly small if reports are to be believed) chance Henry will tell Barca to take off with their offer and opt to keep Suarez.

There's still the (increasingly small if reports are to be believed) chance Henry will tell Barca to take off with their offer and opt to keep Suarez.

I don't think Henry is any respecter of european footballing dynasties and will look to fulfill his own interests.

He's gone for a quarter of the season, and it will be more like a third of it before his fitness comes back. This season is already ruined for him, and any sort of replacement will be a win for us in the immediate future. The season after he'll be getting fairly old for a striker who runs non-stop. If you weigh up having the 28yr old Suarez or having his 22yr old replacement who's already got a season under his belt by then, I'd opt for the latter every time.

So we should replace him now, with James ideally, I'd go so far as to pay £100m for that player as long as it gets done.

Which footballing dynasty do you mean, jexy? JH's interests and ours coincide as long as he owns the club.

On the overall question: while we won't be able to replace Suarez with equal quality, there *is* IMHO a chance that we'll improve overall. It'll depend on us doing a top-notch deal with Barca, getting the right players in (whether in part-ex, i.e.Sanchez, or otherwise) and integrating them quickly, but we've done it before. Losing Rushie in the 80s was a major blow, but replacing him with Aldo, Digger and Beardsley definitely improved the team.

Losing a match winner like suarez is a massive blow regardless of who we bring in. Sanchez is a good player but not suarez level. We would need to buy 2 'clutch' players (hey everyone else is bringing americanism into the the threads) to help minimise the damage.

Is this a report or speculation?

Why meet in London, neutral ground?

Will Ban Ki Moon be in attendance?

Is John Lennon airport closed?

It would be great if Ayre met them just to say 'No. Bye'. Those bastards need to be treated with the same lack of respect they treat every other club.

By 'clutch' do you mean someone that scores against the big teams, in pressure moments, when your team really needs it at the end of the season etc?

It'll be a loss no matter what -- you just can't replace someone like Suarez easily. It's about mitigating the loss and the best mitigation is Sanchez + £50-60 million because we're assured of a class player.

60m + Sanchez is nearly 100m can't see him going for anything like that amount

Which footballing dynasty do you mean, jexy? JH's interests and ours coincide as long as he owns the club.

On the overall question: while we won't be able to replace Suarez with equal quality, there *is* IMHO a chance that we'll improve overall. It'll depend on us doing a top-notch deal with Barca, getting the right players in (whether in part-ex, i.e.Sanchez, or otherwise) and integrating them quickly, but we've done it before. Losing Rushie in the 80s was a major blow, but replacing him with Aldo, Digger and Beardsley definitely improved the team.

I think the Aldo comparison (or Dalglish for Keegan) comparison is the key one. Like for like, or at least striker for striker. If Suarez goes we just have to get a genuinely top class goalscorer. Get others by all means, but if we're going for the title we just cannot afford to be weakened in that area.

As mentioned before 40-50 mill + Sanchez is a done deal for me.
Barca value Sanchez at 30 mill £, which after his WC performance and season for Barca is fair.

As Buddha says if Sanchez is up for the transfer I'd probably accept 35 mill aswell. It all depends on what the clause is, reported to be 70-80 mill and what we value Sanchez at. He's a 30 mill £ player in todays market though, easily.

I think it's eminently doable, getting 50-60 + Sanchez. Henry needs to parlay the fact that Barca are historically shit at part exchanges.

I think a deal for Sanchez plus something like £40m can be a tremendous boost to the club for the next 5-10 years, so long as we spend that money pretty well. We'd have enough to pretty much correct every problem in the squad: LB, CB, RB, GK, depth in attack.

Whether we will or not is a different story, but I'm excited at the possibilities.

I think the Aldo comparison (or Dalglish for Keegan) comparison is the key one. Like for like, or at least striker for striker. If Suarez goes we just have to get a genuinely top class goalscorer. Get others by all means, but if we're going for the title we just cannot afford to be weakened in that area.

Indeed, but the Rushie/Aldo comparison is an interesting one. Rushie in his prime was clearly the better player IMHO (though he wasn't any more by the time he came back) and I didn't feel Aldo would have got all those goals had it not been for Digger and Beardo running riot around him. However, that's one reason why I'm quietly optimistic this change can work IF we make the right choices (plural) post-Suarez.

Getting Sanchez involved in any deal with Barca is crucial I feel. One, we can get a proven worldie in return and don't have to hunt for one. Two, we prevent Arsenal or Man U from getting their hands on him.

The only positive that could come out of it is that we're losing one of the best players in the world, and hopefully, replacing him with quality squad depth, which we need.
We can't replace his quality as there's only a couple of other players in the world with it.

Oh, and if that guttersnipe Suarez has the gall to ask the club to issue one of those 'I love you all' farewell letters to fans, I hope they tell him where to stick it!

Mirror reporting that we're 20 mill apart in valuation. 80 and 60 mill.
Also that Sanchez is not keen on a move to us.

It is the Mirror though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom