• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So how do you make VAR better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have a rant here only football can fuck something up this much
And to be honest I'm fucking sick of all these secret taking between the refs and lines men/women we should be able to hear everything like in rugby and cricket,

Who the fuck do the refs think they are without the players they don't have a job and that comes from me a man that's been a trained ref for 20 years almost end of rant.

To be honest I'm going to send a massive email to the FA about this but I might as well piss in the wind

In the event that the VAR official could be a crooked vindictive cunt like Coote, there needs to be a minimum of 3 VAR officials.

A Wolves goal chalked off for offside. It’s not even debatable and still takes an age to sort out.

Jimenez kicks out after being fouled. A clear red card in my eyes. Ignored yet again by the incompetent lot in charge of the derby.

I think part of the problem is the way the review process is presented.

In tennis and cricket, the the fans are shown a render of what went on, but you don't have dozens of lines being drawn and redrawn by some nob, like offside decisions. This drawing and redrawing of the lines invites doubt.

If say, we were simply given a single graphic from an aerial perspective, and the lines were immediately visible on an overlay over the players, we'd be more accepting of the decision simply because it sends the message that the decision was surgical and precise.

First you have to break the ego of PGMOL and they should welcome criticism before anything can change.

They should be more transparent in the exchange between match official on the pitch and the var official, and when they make a wrong decision they should defend their decision openly and accept mistakes. The idea that referee's need to be protected has gone too far...and we need to turn around and ask why? Because it is stopping the better use of this technology....we are in a situation worse than without using the technology.

First you have to break the ego of PGMOL and they should welcome criticism before anything can change.

They should be more transparent in the exchange between match official on the pitch and the var official, and when they make a wrong decision they should defend their decision openly and accept mistakes. The idea that referee's need to be protected has gone too far...and we need to turn around and ask why? Because it is stopping the better use of this technology....we are in a situation worse than without using the technology.
Clearly that isn't the case, ridiculous onside/offside decisions, by metres, have gone,as have offsides against the wrong player and a number of other pertinent situations if not totally resolved then at least now rarely mismanaged. However the implementation is beyond absurd and verges on dishonest.

What is frustrating is that the VAR management have had months (Covid closure) to sort this out and implement rules that everyone can understand and accept.

1. Hands & Arms can't be considered offside. This has nothing to do with 'can you score with them' but purely because they are used for balance, that isn't an unfair advantage.
2. The frame rate MUST be considered (and funding given to implement the 240 fps cameras UEFA recommended). Therefore there must be a margin of error (yes it does just move the line but at least fairly) e.g. Mane could be clearly on-side one or two frames earlier.
3. Is the attacking player gaining an unfair advantage? Back to goal isn't an unfair advantage.
4. Where has benefit of the doubt to the attacking team gone? Reinstate it. In a tight decision advantage should be given to the attacking player, as used to be stated in their offside rules (not sure if it's still there, it was a few seasons ago).

Four simple considerations that almost everyone could accept. Yes #3 & #4 are a little subjective but then so are many other decisions in football. As has been said, this adherence to the mm is contrary to the spirit of the game.

Like has been said, the major problem with VAR is the use of lines.

Just let the ref run any footage backwards and forwards at the side of the pitch and make a decision. If there’s a doubt, benefit goes to attacker. Each team gets limited ability to call for review so it’s not done automatically.

All the refs turned to fucking 5-year olds with a new toy, like they forgot they can do their job without it. Just use it for fixing obvious mistakes and change the offside & handball rules so they make some sense. It's weird that players haven't started intentionally aiming for opponents' arms in the box to get pens with the rule as it is now

You'd think the people who decide these things haven't watched a football match in their lives, they're making it look like an old frustrating video game where you do everything right but it still makes you wait for some slow ancient algorithm to randomly decide whether you did ok or not

They should play the conversation between VAR and the referee.

The big issue for me, and I mentioned this last season on twitter is that even with the evidence in front of them, they are still making awful errors. The Dele Ali handball against Everton was one of the worst VAR decisions I have seen, should have been an instant penalty, and they never gave it. What is the point in having the technology if they can't make informed decisions with the evidence in front of them?

The referee has to start using the screen as well.

It's mixing up two sets of rules for the benefit of no one. First you get the idea that players can be in offside positions, quite blatantly (forget lines) and be deemed NOT offside so long as they are also judged 'not to be interfering with play' (and, as we've seen, that's been interpreted so as to excuse players who certainly look like they're interfering with play). That rule is supposedly still in operation. But now you also have the idea that anyone anywhere whose elbow or earlobe or whatever is a fraction across VAR's line is offside and the goal null and void. That's utterly incoherent.

There's something very dodgy as well as incompetent about those in charge of VAR at present. Apparently the club has received two contradictory responses to its complaint - one saying the Pickford wasn't examined, and the other one claiming it was. I hope the club really keeps exposing this nonsense because it's an outrage.

You shouldn't need lines. You have a total of three refs looking at it from a perfect angle.

If it's not clearly offside then the goal stands.

It's quicker, & gives a tiny advantage to the striker.

It is also in keeping with the way fifa actually want the technology to be used.

You shouldn't need lines. You have a total of three refs looking at it from a perfect angle.

If it's not clearly offside then the goal stands.

It's quicker, & gives a tiny advantage to the striker.

It is also in keeping with the way fifa actually want the technology to be used.

This is the thing. So many people get hung up on exactly how the lines should be used rather than questioning whether they're a good idea in the first place.

I honestly think everyone who was originally in favour of VAR thought it was to correct major errors. Nobody was concerned about the marginal stuff - you can take that on the chin.

It just needs to be another pair of eyes giving major calls a quick sanity check. Whether it's possible to get from here to there, though, I'm pretty doubtful about.

They should play the conversation between VAR and the referee.

The big issue for me, and I mentioned this last season on twitter is that even with the evidence in front of them, they are still making awful errors. The Dele Ali handball against Everton was one of the worst VAR decisions I have seen, should have been an instant penalty, and they never gave it. What is the point in having the technology if they can't make informed decisions with the evidence in front of them?

The referee has to start using the screen as well.

They are defo not going to release that, if they even record it

Remember the pen spurs got at anfield the other year when refs were microphoned up?

After another weekend of controversy, so just how can VAR be successful? Here are just a few thoughts off the top of my head and how we could learn from the NFL - which isn't perfect, but a damn sight better than the Premier League's offering:

A SMART approach!

• Realistic - Increase the frame rate - It's widely been reported that the technology uses 50 fps, when it needs to be nearly 5 times that. This would cost potentially tens of thousands of pounds. But is a drop in the ocean compared to the revenues they receive - it should be demanded by the clubs if VAR is to continue.
  • Specific - Any VAR decision is viewed by the Ref too - They have this in NFL, it really should be brought in here. Hell, this is a broadcasters dream, in NFL any review they cut to a 30 second commercial break - this is a no bloody brainer commercially. Moreover, it would stop players arguing with the officials after the game if they've actually saw the incident back so they could explain rather than stock answer "VAR reviewed it", they are so scared of the flow of the game, when all they are doing at the moment is holding a finger to their ear like they have lost signal and damaging the game.
  • Time Bound If they are so concerned about the flow, they could bring a time limit in... From when the ref goes what NFL term "under the hood" - you have a 60 second timer. At the end of the timer the decision and the ref/VAR are still undecided, the outcome should be
    • Stick with on-field decision if relating to a foul/red card incident.
    • Or if it's an off-side decision, benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.
    • This would stop incidents like the Mane one, running and running. But would also give the VAR assistant close to 90 seconds from start to finish.
  • Accountable & Measurable The VAR assistants must be accountable, Pickford escaped punishment because it was "looked at". Well if that's the case, they should also be dropped where they have themselves made a clear and obvious error. Have a panel of volunteers who review the performance and make recommendations accordingly.
Sorry for the rant - genuinely interested to hear anyone's opinion on this (except scrap it).
Like most of this excpet the Time Bound...

If the Ref needs to review an incident then it should not be Time Restricted

Also the Foul committed on Fab by Keane for the first Everton goal Pulling his shirt, unbalancing Fab why was that not looked at...?

They are defo not going to release that, if they even record it

Remember the pen spurs got at anfield the other year when refs were microphoned up?

How can I forget!

The linesman explaining the rules to the referee, who then said he didn't know if it was a pen or not, so he gave then pen?

Not sure that's even part of the consideration for offsides. Anyone?
Its not

Also I remember this time last year folks (myself included) complaining about "clear and obvious" for other decisions as it was way too subjective. They were coming up with excuses like, "yes the referee made a wrong decision, but we could see why/how he made the mistake, so that does not count as C&O"

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with VAR, there appears to be a lot wrong with those operating it

David Coote has been relieved of his VAR duties this upcoming weekend. Should be moved to League Two as a ref aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom