• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should they stay or should they go.

Could add my list of who to sell and why, and I have been saying for a long time now that Gomez should be sold, but I will leave that for you people to decide.
What I would like is that whoever is sold and replace that we look to do it over four or five seasons with "Real Quality" players even if it means that for the next 4-5 seasons that we many not be contenders for the Title, but come the end of that time we are the best time in the Prem' and very top Contenders in Europe...

Having said this we should whole heartedly be look to sign Alphonso Davies from Bayern this window as a top target. at 23 three we will have maybe 6-7 year to build on him, with other Quality signingsinstead of buying players that are in their late twenties

I think the defence is such a priority that we should really only look for 1 exist & arrival up front.

Just sell Nunez. I'm not that bothered with the rest to be honest. Maybe Salah, but he's got a lot of credit in the bank.

I wouldn’t sell anyone, unless they asked to go or a ridiculous offer comes in.

Thiago, Matip & Adrian are out of contract, do they’re off.

Decisions need to be made on Van den Berg, Morton, Carvalho, Beck, Chambers - there’s your 2 LB’s, CB, DM and attacking midfielder/forward - if there’s a route into the first team, use them - if not they’re the ones to sell. There’s a few young keepers that need decisions made as well.

Additionally, there’s Ramsay, Clark, Danns, Doak, Koumas, Gordon & Nyoni that we either have to loan, sell or create a path for.

I agree we need a CB and that’s where I’d go after elite talent.

Depending on the set up a DM and someone to replace Mo at some point - maybe that’s Diaz at RW.

I’d make a decision on the young LB’s before splashing there.

I’d keep Nunez - but, aside from the CB - I’d be trying to get someone in to replace him as a 9 - he can fuck off the LW or the bench.

Replacing half of the team after losing a couple of games (obviously crucial but still) in a transition season that ultimately exceeded expectations is quite Boehly behaviour
I think they were expecting a transfer ban so went hard

Edwards and Hughes together with Barmy Arnie have a monumental job on their hands.....mind you probably made a lot easier with how the players are closing off the season.

Minimum 5 out and 5 in otherwise they can both fuck off too.

We’re set up in a good way to spend money this summer. I’d be careful of a major clear out as we need the squad depth and Slutty will need to have a look at the players.
Slutty :ROFLMAO: That’s going to stick.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand what is going on here. Surely that is coaching 101 and he has being practicing it day in day out. And then he shoots straight at the keeper with power?

best explanation is that he’s not taking it seriously and that manifests in matches

From Paul Joyce:

Nunez was very much a Klopp signing (Liverpool’s recruitment thinktank preferred Christopher Nkunku, then of RB Leipzig, who has spent this season injured at Chelsea) and the manager spoke about how it is his responsibility to provide the player with the confidence to perform.

View: https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1783471691202474376

I must say it's not very professional / pleasant of Edwards to leak this.

So while our sapped of energy manager is struggling to get a tune out the players, our CEO who's been in the position for 5 minutes is sat upstairs point scoring and taking cheap shots? Taking to the new role well then isn't he, how very professional of him. Stupid cunt.

N'kunku was actually very good that season. This season he's fell apart

The rejection to sign Nkunku was mentioned back in Jan 2023:

Liverpool 'TURNED DOWN the chance to sign Christopher Nkunku from RB Leipzig last summer' after Jurgen Klopp and his assistant Pep Lijnders opted against it... allowing Chelsea to seal a £63m deal for the France forward

Sam Wallace: Pep Lijnders influence proves it is not just Jurgen Klopp pulling strings at Liverpool

Certainly, Lijnders has a major part in key decisions at Liverpool. He returned to the club from the Netherlands after a brief spell as manager of NEC in the summer of 2018 at the beginning of two extraordinary seasons in which Liverpool won the Champions League and then the club’s first league championship in 30 years. As the recruitment picture has changed at Liverpool, so Lijnders’s influence on that side of the club has grown exponentially. The technical director, Michael Edwards, signalled his impending departure in November 2021 and his successor, Julian Ward, is now working his notice having assumed the role only in July.

Three of the four big signings that Liverpool have made in the past two seasons – Díaz, Darwin Núñez and now Gakpo – have been advocated by Lijnders. Which is not to say they have been bad acquisitions, just that a Dutch coach who spent his formative coaching years in Portugal has gravitated to players who have come of age in those country’s leagues. The fourth, Ibrahima Konaté, came from the Red Bull group, a reliable source of players in the past for Liverpool.

The signings do demonstrate the scope of Lijnders’s influence at the club.

Especially with Mike Gordon, the president of owners Fenway Sports Group, stepping back from recruitment and his role signing off on contracts as well as the departure of Ian Graham, the club’s director of research.
In addition, Lijnders, 39, regularly takes first-team sessions. He has turned down the chance to be a manager elsewhere to stay at Liverpool.

Liverpool were offered the chance to sign Christopher Nkunku in the summer but Klopp and Lijnders declined. The France international’s positional flexibility meant he would have been a long-term replacement for Firmino and competition for Mohamed Salah and Díaz in the wide positions. By the time Liverpool went into this new year injury crisis, Chelsea had already struck an agreement with Nkunku, and his club RB Leipzig, for the summer. This is the kind of bad luck that can affect any club. The strength of Liverpool in recent years is that they have so rarely put a foot wrong.

=====

Nkunku's injury concerns began from Nov 2022.

Dated 28 Feb 24

Untitled.jpg

The forward’s injury concerns perhaps date back to November 2022, when the former Paris Saint-Germain and RB Leipzig star picked up a nasty torn knee ligament injury in the build-up to the 2022 World Cup. Not only did this injury rule the player out of the competition but it has seemingly caused recurring issues for Nkunku to the present day. Since that injury, Nkunku has missed 48 matches for club or country through injury and sat out a total of 307 days. In stark contrast, Nkunku had only been injured four times in the previous two years, missing a grand total of eight games for Leipzig.

There's no fucking "credit" in football. That idea is diametrically opposed to both common sense, and the sort of hard nosed statistical analysis Edwards is meant to be famous for.

Edwards can look at Nunez and think "why the fuck did we do that" but we'll still get some value back on him even if he slinks off the end of next season. Salah has one year left on his contract, we are spending a fortune on him, and he makes our team worse. If we can find some place he wants to go, it's not even something to think about.

There's no fucking "credit" in football. That idea is diametrically opposed to both common sense, and the sort of hard nosed statistical analysis Edwards is meant to be famous for.

Edwards can look at Nunez and think "why the fuck did we do that" but we'll still get some value back on him even if he slinks off the end of next season. Salah has one year left on his contract, we are spending a fortune on him, and he makes our team worse. If we can find some place he wants to go, it's not even something to think about.
Absolutely. You’re only worth what you can do on the pitch.

Whereas Ornstein is saying something different.

D
Dan Z.
· 1h 22m ago
Hi David. Given the return of Michael Edwards at Liverpool and him being very data oriented, could you see him being ruthless with “Klopp signings” this summer? Could the likes of Darwin Nunez be at risk of being sold this coming window? Thanks!

David Ornstein

David Ornstein
· 11m ago
@Dan Z. I very much doubt Nunez will be leaving. Whatever you think of his form recently, he has shown himself to be a good player for club and country, he is still young, Liverpool wouldn't make any / much profit from selling him now and there is clear potential, in my opinion, for him to have a successful career at Anfield. Now, if suitable offers come in for pretty much any player it's only natural that Edwards, Hughes and anyone else in their positions - and at board and ownership level - will consider them. But that doesn't mean they will be accepted and there are no signs that dramatic revolution is on the way for Liverpool... more likely smart and necessary evolution. Three key players are approaching their final 12 months, so that will be a priority. Naturally there will be some churn, some departures and arrivals. But from what we know of Edwards he tends to favour relatively subtle but important alterations to ensure the team improves and remains competitive. A good operation, which Liverpool is, shouldn't require much change and often when that happens it has a destabilising effect. Naturally with a new manager / head coach arriving there will be tweaks, but Liverpool already have a strong nucleus, plenty of promising young players and some experienced pros who have plenty left in the tank. I think they are bette-placed to handle this transition than Man Utd were post-Ferguson and Arsenal after Wenger. Of course Edwards (and Hughes) will be under pressure to deliver - and they won't be afraid to make tough, bold and perhaps unpopular calls - but I don't envisage it being particularly drastic.

Open to offers (for different reasons)

Kelleher, Diaz, Tsimikas Nunez,

Actively sell/release

Salah, Thiago, Matip, Tsimikas

Open to offers (for different reasons)

Kelleher, Diaz, Tsimikas Nunez,

Actively sell/release

Salah, Thiago, Matip, Tsimikas
The thing with Kelleher for me is I don't envisage him ever being good enough to succeed Alisson. Sure he's a top level GK and has had good moments this season, but he's also flawed and not really in a way that can suddenly change, from where he is to being a Worldy. It's a tough one. On the one hand, he's exactly what you want in a back up keeper, on the other he's too good to be a back up keeper, but not good enough to be considered an heir to the top class keeper we currently have. I think he's an obvious "sell".

Diaz has been our best attacker in recent months, but only because he's a handful and he works his bollocks off, I'm loathed to see him go because he can be a real player with a bit more focus added to his game, which a new manager might give him. On the other hand he's 27 and difficult to squeeze much progression out of. So again, if a big offer comes in, it'd be hard to turn down.

Back
Top Bottom