• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sell EVERYBODY upfront, maybe..?

I think, despite our frustrations, you have to persevere with Nunez for another year. He's an interesting project for a new manager coming in, same with Gapko (though I'd be less against selling him).

The question marks are really over Diaz and Salah, because the stock of both is still high, while the potential for future "on the field" returns from both is diminishing season upon season. Diaz at times looks our most threatening player, but the end product is rarely there. City are persevering with Doku who is similar in terms of threat and return, but you know Doku has age and potential to get better, Diaz just doesn't.

Jota is an excellent goalscorer, we all know that. The question with a new manager coming in is whether he is willing to work with the likes of Jota, Konate, etc who can't really be relied upon for a lengthy spell. Both are brilliant, but neither can stay fit, so you can't bank on either of them in a side pushing for honours. If they are crucial parts of your jigsaw, then it's too risky and too much rides on them being available, which they definitely won't always be. And if we're being honest, it's banking on players like these two (and Keita, Thiago, Matip and co) that's partly cost us honours.

Diaz has to go this summer. It is when his stock is at its highest. We are at the point of diminishing returns. That means at least one of Gakpo and Nunez stays. It will probably come down to which one we can sell for as close to what we paid.

Jota and Konate may be more reliable next season if we have a less intense training regime and style of play. I wouldn’t count on it.

Has Palmer been the better buy? Yes. Has Nunez been a failure? I told you at the start of season, as long as he gets games, he will get over 30 G/As, and you were sceptical but intimated that would be a good return. He has 31 GAs, Yes he is fucking wasteful but he been brilliant too this season.
Our defence has been shacky all season, and the opposition regularly cut through our defence and its been the cat like reflexes of our GKs that has saved us.
We scored 3 goals against Man U but we let in 4. We should have been destroyed by the Arse in the previous FA Cup game were it not for the heroics of the GK.
The positives are we have 1 cup in the bag, we are only 1 point behind Man City and going by past seasons, the return of Jota usually means a winning run of games.
Even if we don't win, we will come close and that was my hope at the start of the season.
If Alonso could be persuaded to come with a £20m a year salary, that would be a great start to next season. If not, Amorim should be decent

Funny you should mention keepers and defenders.

Nunez is the striking equivalent of Onana or Maguire.

He’s too erratic and not consistent enough. - much more so than our much maligned defenders who are actually quite good.

Funny you should mention keepers and defenders.

Nunez is the striking equivalent of Onana or Maguire.

He’s too erratic and not consistent enough. - much more so than our much maligned defenders who are actually quite good.
Imagine to win titles with a cult hero as a number nine. Rather than someone who can finish chances.

Diaz has to go this summer. It is when his stock is at its highest. We are at the point of diminishing returns. That means at least one of Gakpo and Nunez stays. It will probably come down to which one we can sell for as close to what we paid.

Jota and Konate may be more reliable next season if we have a less intense training regime and style of play. I wouldn’t count on it.
I think you can be pretty sure that Nunez, Jota and probably Gakpo are going nowhere. Mo. will lilley leave. Diaz will only leave if we get a big offer and the new manager decides he's surplus to requirements.

If Nunez was putting a few more chances away we'd be about the win the league and we wouldn't be arsed that Diaz is a very good attacking mid with no end product and Salah is deteriorating. But he's not. It's on him really. He looked like he was gonna improve and then he didn't. I think if we could replace him with someone good the rest would look a lot better.

If Nunez was putting a few more chances away we'd be about the win the league and we wouldn't be arsed that Diaz is a very good attacking mid with no end product and Salah is deteriorating. But he's not. It's on him really. He looked like he was gonna improve and then he didn't. I think if we could replace him with someone good the rest would look a lot better.
110 %

Name a second striker in the PL (or probably Europe), except City, with a better goals scoring / assists record (Salah 17+9 in 2,148 mins and Nunez is 11+8 in 1,880 mins) this season (the only pair I can think of coming close is Haaland 20+5 in 2,185 mins & Foden 14+7 in 2,453 mins)? Arsenal are Saka 14+8 in 2,503 mins and Havertz 11+5 in 2,117 mins. He isn't leading the line, Salah is, so it absolutely isn't "on him'.

For the avoidance of doubt that's a goal or assist every :

Salah 82.6 mins (goal every 126 mins)
Haaland 87.4 mins (goal every 109 mins)
Nunez 98.95 mins (goal every 171 mins)
Saka 113.77 mins (goal every 178 mins)
Foden 116.8 mins (goal every 175 mins)
Havertz 132.31 mins (goal every 198 mins)

Last edited:
I dunno if you've noticed but we were trying to win the league this season and you can't do that by posting loads of stats. You do it by having a striker who isn't shit.

I dunno if you've noticed but we were trying to win the league this season and you can't do that by posting loads of stats. You do it by having a striker who isn't shit.
And I dunno if you've noticed but actually if he had been on the pitch as much as Foden (Nunez would have 14 goals) or Saka (Nunez would have 15 goals) we likely would have. You can't score sitting on the bench.

And I dunno if you've noticed but actually if he had been on the pitch as much as Foden (Nunez would have 14 goals) or Saka (Nunez would have 15 goals) we likely would have. You can't score sitting on the bench.
You can’t score when you spaz 25 shots.

You can’t score when you spaz 25 shots.
Listen haters will be haters - and yes he's missed a ton of chances but you can't argue against the simple fact he's played less minutes than others he's being compared to. So, statistically, if he had been on the pitch for the same minutes as Foden or Saka he'd have their number of goals - or more (rounding up). And we'd likely have won the PL. So blame Klopp !

Listen haters will be haters - and yes he's missed a ton of chances but you can't argue against the simple fact he's played less minutes than others he's being compared to. So, statistically, if he had been on the pitch for the same minutes as Foden or Saka he'd have their number of goals - or more (rounding up). And we'd likely have won the PL. So blame Klopp !
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it’s getting plucked, butchered and served with hoisin sauce.

Here’s a stat. He doesn’t score with 90% of his shots. He’s a fucking forward. Our most expensive signing ever. And he’s shite.

I get that there's more favorable opinions of him because he deserves it, but I don't understand why nunez is getting more stick than Salah on here for his shit form at the critical stage of the season. He's our most expensive player. He's the worst of the lot but has the rightly has the highest expectation.

Nunez is not our most expensive forward. We paid for potential with him, with Salah we extended for reliable production. He's fallen off in yet another season. Before the excuse was afcon, now it's injury, now it's fasting.

I get that there's more favorable opinions of him because he deserves it, but I don't understand why nunez is getting more stick than Salah on here for his shit form at the critical stage of the season. He's our most expensive player. He's the worst of the lot but has the rightly has the highest expectation.

Nunez is not our most expensive forward.
Some of us fucking love laying into Salah.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it’s getting plucked, butchered and served with hoisin sauce.

Here’s a stat. He doesn’t score with 90% of his shots. He’s a fucking forward. Our most expensive signing ever. And he’s shite.
And here's another - if he had played 2,400-2,600 mins like Foden and Saka ... we'd likely be top of the PL.

I just love it when people defend a striker by saying that he tracks back and works hard.
Also, why the fuck are we comparing Nunez with wingers and attacking mids?

I just love it when people defend a striker by saying that he tracks back and works hard.

Well, as klopp said, it's the entry ticket, the bare minimum, unless you are Salah.

The thing is, it's not meant to be the ride. Nunez is watching the rollercoaster like a hypnotized puppy.

Big chances missed in the Premier League for Saka and Foden in their entire career is 24. Nunez has 45 in just 2 seasons. He’s absolute wank.
And yet he still scores at a faster pace than they do. And would have the same or more goals than them this season with the same minutes on the pitch. You can bellyache about 'big chances missed' all you like but that doesn't mean anything as far as the scoring rates per goal or goals+assists are concerned. And he misses more chances because he gets himself into those positions - you should read the article Binny posted recently.

Rumoured

Ali, Trent, VVD, Konate, Robertson, Macca, Szoboslai, Jones, Salah, Gakpo, Diaz

Because they are the second highest scorers in their teams (noting that Nunez is a 2nd striker for us). Maybe we shouldn't talk about Salah either - him being a winger like.

And yet he still scores at a faster pace than they do. And would have the same or more goals than them this season with the same minutes on the pitch. You can bellyache about 'big chances missed' all you like but that doesn't mean anything as far as the scoring rates per goal or goals+assists are concerned. And he misses more chances because he gets himself into those positions - you should read the article Binny posted recently.
He’s score at an even faster rate had he converted 10% of those chances. Which we should expect from an £80 million forward with the number 9 on his back.

I remember when people on here were praising Kuyt for those same exact reasons...
I think Kuyt's best scoring season was 9 goals.

Yes Nunez will never be a world class finisher (I expected 4-5 more goals this season from him) but saying "he s fucking wank" is harsh.

Id give him one more season...lets sell Salah first and buy Vinicius or Wirtz (or both)

I remeb
I remember when people on here were praising Kuyt for those same exact reasons...
I think Kuyt's best scoring season was 9 goals.

Yes Nunez will never be a world class finisher (I expected 4-5 more goals this season from him) but saying "he s fucking wank" is harsh.

Id give him one more season...lets sell Salah first and buy Vinicius or Wirtz (or both)
I remember that too and honestly it doesn't make a difference to me because I don't want a Kuyt type striker either.

Who is that central striker who can finish, lead the line and link up?
not that many of those out there or?

Niwrad and the theory of devolution

Back
Top Bottom