• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sadio Mane

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

What an incredible, unclassifiable, idiosyncratic player! You can't quite assign him to a specific role or position – he's not quite a striker, not a winger, not a playmaker, what exactly is he? After the double in Munich it's 52 goals and 20 assists in 110 games for Liverpool, 138 career goals (including national team). 33 of the LFC goals were scored with the right foot, 13 with left and 6 were headers (3 of the headers came in the last 4 games – something's up!). Lion's share of his goals come from finishes inside the area; the biggest category is one-touch finishes and second biggest is 2-3 touches after receiving the ball inside the box. All other types of goals, such as cutting in from the wing or long-range shots, are just a handful. Based on the types of goals he scores, you could call him a fox in a box, but he actually spends the majority of the game outside of it:

images

(2017-18 season heatmap)

Much like his front-three partners Firmino and Salah, Sadio is a dual-role player. In his usual position on the left wing, he defends like a proper winger, tracking all the way back to our penalty area when needed and helping out Robbo. In the build-up phase he operates like a winger or a secondary playmaker. But when it comes to attacking directly, there is a huge difference between Mane and an orthodox goal-scoring wing-forward like, say, Neymar or Robben. Mane actually doesn't create most of his scoring chances for himself – instead he looks to make a run into the box and get on the end of a pass there. In other words, in the attacking phase he turns from a winger to a centre-forward.

Whenever he's allowed to receive the ball in the penalty area, I think he is as deadly a finisher as any "pure" goal-scorer in the Premier League and during his recent scoring run more and more of his teammates' efforts are now focused on setting up chances for him. Even Salah is turning provider – perhaps reluctantly, but as long as Mane is scoring it's great for Mo as it will take away the defenders' focus from him. Sadio is now only 1 goal behind Mo in all competitions this season and is on the verge of his second consecutive 20 goal season at LFC. In other words, we've got (another) 20+ goal striker – who also happens to play on the wing.

Last edited:
I'd like to see his heatmap for this season mate. Seems to me he is playing far more central in most matches and rotating with Salah far less (though it has happened in the past couple of games).

He makes better use of his pace, I feel, these days. But in recent games, wow, his invention is amazing, too.

First the backheel chip, then the goal against Neuer. He really has been taking the piss lately

First the backheel chip, then the goal against Neuer. He really has been taking the piss lately

Yeah, he's not usually been one for showboating - which I have mentioned a few times, eulogising about his brutally single-minded approach to cause damage - but the odd piss-take is very welcome indeed.

Credit to Klopp, hes realized the best way to take the heat off from Salah was to mix things up and put the spotlight on the other forwards. Mane will carry the focal point for a few games but I won't be surprised when it swings back to Salah. He looks like he has given Mane more license to wreak havoc in the centre areas more so than usual. Salah has largely gone back to being the winger that we bought him for...Great Management!

Yeah I love the guy. He's be fucking mad to go to Real. Even if he did (which would suck) He'd cost the fucking earth! Did Klopp sign him? I forget.

There's not a side in the world who wouldn't want him. He can be frustrating, but those moments have been less and less in recent times. He's stepped up as Salah has faded away - highlighting the benefit of our 4-3-3 system. Hopefully he keeps this form up right until the end of the season and beyond. Super player.

My favourite player.

The CL final last showed me his mentality is better than every other player in the squad.

Love him.

I’d never drop him even when he’s having a tough time in front of goal.

Is there any player, past or present, he reminds you of? I'm kind of stumped for comparisons. "Black Suarez" doesn't quite work.

Is there any player, past or present, he reminds you of? I'm kind of stumped for comparisons. "Black Suarez" doesn't quite work.
Would say he reminds me a bit of Eto, especially the way he drags it from back to front and leaves the defense with a single move...

Nobody in our team that’s for sure.

He’s nowhere near as good as Suarez but he’s fantastic in his own way.

I think hes our best attacking player, and while hes a bit streaky in terms of goal scoring he is an absolute nightmare for defenders.

I cant really thinl of any player whose style is similar, the comparison that springs to mind is Robben in that his opponents know what hes going to try and do but that doesnt make it any easier to stop him

He needs a proper fucking song. That limp 'Mane, Mane' is piss poor. Danny Ings had a better chant! Here is one of our best players. I propose...........a song for Mane competition!

What an incredible, unclassifiable, idiosyncratic player! You can't quite assign him to a specific role or position – he's not quite a striker, not a winger, not a playmaker, what exactly is he? After the double in Munich it's 52 goals and 20 assists in 110 games for Liverpool, 138 career goals (including national team). 33 of the LFC goals were scored with the right foot, 13 with left and 6 were headers (3 of the headers came in the last 4 games – something's up!). Lion's share of his goals come from finishes inside the area; the biggest category is one-touch finishes and second biggest is 2-3 touches after receiving the ball inside the box. All other types of goals, such as cutting in from the wing or long-range shots, are just a handful. Based on the types of goals he scores, you could call him a fox in a box, but he actually spends the majority of the game outside of it:

The quality of the striking in some of those goals is just incredible. He frequently seems to be smashing it after a poor first touch has got him in trouble, but whatever works for him, works for me!

The quality of the striking in some of those goals is just incredible. He frequently seems to be smashing it after a poor first touch has got him in trouble, but whatever works for him, works for me!
His biggest strength for me is his first 2-3 yards. He seems to miscontrol quite a fair bit with the ball bouncing a few yards away, and any other player would lose the ball. With him he somehow accelerates quicker than anyone else and proceeds to control the ball like nothing had happened. I was amazed by that speed (but crazily not much else at the time) back in his Southampton days. I imagine he’ll decline rapidly as he eventually loses his speed, but right now it’s a massive weapon.

He needs a proper fucking song. That limp 'Mane, Mane' is piss poor. Danny Ings had a better chant! Here is one of our best players. I propose...........a song for Mane competition!
I’m surprised you haven’t suggested Mane’s on fire, Euro defences terrified, Mane’s on fire!

His biggest strength for me is his first 2-3 yards. He seems to miscontrol quite a fair bit with the ball bouncing a few yards away, and any other player would lose the ball. With him he somehow accelerates quicker than anyone else and proceeds to control the ball like nothing had happened. .

Yes, he makes a virtue of necessity when the ball bobbles off him. And then boom.

The lyrics maybe are a bit complicated. Which tune did you have in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom