• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'Rio Meets Gerrard'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
Steven Gerrard still haunted by slip after leaving Liverpool without winning title
• ‘There’s not a day that doesn’t go by that I don’t think about it’
• Gerrard also admits being dropped against Real Madrid accelerated exit

Steven-Gerrard-009.jpg

Steven Gerrard reacts after his slip handed Chelsea the lead in April 2014 in a defeat which ultimately cost Liverpool the Premier League title. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images
Gerard Meagher
Wednesday 24 June 2015 00.03 BSTLast modified on Wednesday 24 June 201500.05 BST
Shares

Steven Gerrard has admitted he is still haunted by his infamous slip against Chelsea, which effectively cost Liverpool a first league title for 24 years, on a daily basis while also revealing that being dropped for a Champions League clash against Real Madrid fast-tracked his departure from Anfield.
Gerard left Liverpool for LA Galaxy this summer after 17 years at his boyhood club, during which he won the Champions League, the Uefa Cup, three League Cups and two FA Cups but no Premier League – a gaping hole that may well have been filled in 2014, but for his costly stumble against Chelsea in April 2014.

500.jpg

Read more
“The slip happened at a bad time, it was cruel for me personally,” said Gerrard. “There’s not a day that doesn’t go by that I don’t think about what if that didn’t happen. Would things have been different? Would it have turned out different? Maybe it might of, I don’t know.”
That slip, capitalised on by Demba Ba, put Chelsea on their way to a 2-0 victory, which in turn halted Liverpool’s title charge before they spectacularly unravelled against Crystal Palace, enabling Manchester City to clinch the title. Gerrard’s slip was all the more dramatic because he had been so integral in a rampant Liverpoolside that had won 11 consecutive matches – including a 3-2 win over Manchester City two weeks before – and were unbeaten in 16 prior to the arrival of José Mourinho’s side.
“Going into the Chelsea game I think because we were in a good run and good form and no fault to Brendan at all, but we sort of went in with the same tactics,” added Gerrard, speaking to Rio Ferdinand as part of ‘Rio Meets Steven Gerrard’ which will air on BT Sport 1 at 10pm on Wednesday. “We heard Chelsea were possibly making a few changes and we actually have the confidence we can blow them away but I think sort of underestimated the power of Mourinho. He came and he spoilt the game. He ruined it. He had them very hard to beat. He had all the units. He spoilt the game.”
Gerrard is due to make his debut for LA Galaxy in mid-July, having announced his intention to leave Liverpool in early January but the 35-year-old’s decision to move was accelerated when Rodgers – who had already publicly spoken of the need to manage the number of matches his captain was playing – left him out of the starting lineup for the 1-0 Champions League defeat away to Real Madrid in November, opting to rest a number of senior players at the Bernabéu.
“This was round about the time when I was doing a lot of thinking about what’s next for me because I’d had a couple of initial chats with Brendan saying to me, ‘I’m going to start managing your games and I have to look after you and I want you to be fresh and I don’t want you to be playing three games in a week because you may be tired’ and stuff like that,” said Gerrard. “But this situation was a bit unique because it was Real Madrid and I wanted to play. I sat on that bench devastated because I wanted to play so, it is one of those situations. It sort of pushed me into making a decision to move on and try something different.”
Gerrard’s Liverpool career came to an ignominious end – a 6-1 defeat at the hands of Stoke City in May to finish a season in which the Reds failed to cope in the absence of Luis Suárez, ending the campaign in sixth. Gerrard however, rates Daniel Sturridge, who made just 19 appearances in an injury-plagued season, just as highly as the Uruguayan.
“I think to myself now. Who do you go and get to replace Luiz Suárez if you’re Liverpool,” he said. “You’re going to have endless amounts of cash. And then does that player want to come with no Champions League? Sturridge is an unbelievable player. He’s got just as much ability as Torres and Suárez but we can’t get him consistently on the pitch.”
“Watch ‘Rio Meets Steven Gerrard’ on BT Sport 1 from 10pm Wednesday 24th June. BT Sport is the new home of European football, with all UEFA Champions League & UEFA Europa League exclusively live. Visit btsport.com/Europe for more information.”

How Rio Ferdinand is considered appropriate for the public eye, I'll never know.
I get why he was on TV during actual games, he was a good player in his day, but him as a pundit/interviewer is just taking the piss.

How Rio Ferdinand is considered appropriate for the public eye, I'll never know.
I get why he was on TV during actual games, he was a good player in his day, but him as a pundit/interviewer is just taking the piss.

Innit.

You just know the mouth-breathing fuckwit is gonna be a mainstay now too.

I recently bought a new TV, a really nice one. But I already know it's going to be smashed when he does that stupid machine gun sound that doesn't mean anything, or some other pseudo gang culture reference, of which he has no real clue.
I've bought insurance.

I'll stop there as this is a Gerrard thread, but fuck me, I hate Ferdinand. I'm not usually this irrational.

I will never understand how it was the slip that cost us. Surely it was the ball under the foot?! The moment that ball went under his foot it was over. Slip or no slip. It was a pure technical error. He would never have accumulated the speed to catch Ba, would he???

On the Madrid benching:

[article=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legend-steven-gerrard-knew-5936172]“When I was told I wasn’t playing, for the sake of the team and the squad and my relationship with Brendan, I took it and I accepted it," said Gerrard, who played only the final 20 minutes of last November's Champions League defeat in the Bernabeu.

“But I sat on that bench devastated because I wanted to play so, it is one of those situations.

“It sort of pushed me, making a decision to move on and try something different.”

This (that Champions League game in Madrid) was round about the time when I was doing a lot of thinking about what’s next for me. “

"I’d had a couple of initial chats, with Brendan saying to me, ‘I’m going to start managing your games and I have to look after you. I want you to be fresh and I don’t want you to be playing three games in a week because you may be tired’ and stuff like that.

“But this situation was a bit unique, because it was Real Madrid and I wanted to play.”[/article]

On Roy & Patty:

[article=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legend-steven-gerrard-roy-5936540] “For me, domestically, I was always striving to be in the same league as Keane and Vieira, and there’s been times when they’ve walked all over me.

“But there’s also been times when I’ve come off the pitch and thought, 'I’ve just mixed with two of the best midfielders in Europe, if not the world' and I had those moments and I had them times.

“But I also had those moments when I felt as if I didn’t match them.”[/article]

On why England suck:

[article=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-hero-steven-gerrard-fears-5936770]“I always feel with England it takes six days for the team to connect.

“I feel like when you get to England you want to have your lunch and go to bed and keep away from everyone, because there’s a shyness.

"There needs to be an England atmosphere where you turn up and it’s almost like you know each other - want to be with each other.

“I look at foreign players in the Liverpool squad now and they pack their bags a week before and can’t wait to get to their national team squads.

“In England now it’s like, ‘Oh, we’re away for eight days’ or, ‘I don’t really know him’ or ‘I’m a bit shy and a bit quiet.’”[/article]

On replacing Suarez:

[article=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-replacing-luis-suarez-mission-5936842]"It was mission impossible for me," said Gerrard. "I think even initially after Fernando Torres it was difficult to go and replace him straight away.

"Suarez came out of the blue. I didn’t really know much about him but he was a phenomenal player.

"Who do you go and get to replace Luiz Suarez if you’re Liverpool? You’re going to have endless amounts of cash. And then does that player want to come with no Champions League? So it’s difficult to replace him."[/article]

On Studge:

[article=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-replacing-luis-suarez-mission-5936842]"Daniel Sturridge is an unbelievable player. He’s got just as much ability as Torres and Suarez but we can’t get him consistently on the pitch."[/article]

I wish he'd forget all about the damned slip, he's won hundreds of games over the years, been the driving force turning around a Champions League final and an FA cup final, and has dragged victory from certain defeat innumerable times as well. The Chelski game was lost for all kinds of reasons, and the title was lost for other failings elsewhere. I wish he'd get hypnosis to wipe the memory away.

Mind you, if those two are going to be pundits I don't hold out much hope for insight. Did you see this bit?

Rio : Do you think St. Georges Park might change [England's fortunes]?
Gerrard : I think they need to add to it. I think it’s got the basis of an unbelievable site but I think they need to make it a bit more realistic around it, they need to put a bit of a golf course in.

I will never understand how it was the slip that cost us. Surely it was the ball under the foot?! The moment that ball went under his foot it was over. Slip or no slip. It was a pure technical error. He would never have accumulated the speed to catch Ba, would he???

I've always thought the same, I think you're the first one I've ever seen say it.

The slip thing lets him off the hook a bit, unfortunately. It wasn't just bad luck, it was a genuine fuck up.

You could justifiably say that Allen was far more culpable for nicking the ball off Suarez and missing an open goal away at Goodison. Shit happens throughout the season, but I can understand his disappointment, we all share that.

You could justifiably say that Allen was far more culpable for nicking the ball off Suarez and missing an open goal away at Goodison. Shit happens throughout the season, but I can understand his disappointment, we all share that.

I will never forget or forgive Joe Allen for that Sunday League effort against Everton. But it was what it was and got labelled as such: Utter shite.

The Gerrard "slip" was a technical error of extremely poor quality and is now known as "The Slip". It was utter shite.

It's creative reality.

Agreed - An almost unmissable miss, that... Or Kolo's pass straight to the West Brom forward when under absolutely no pressure late in the game at the Hawthornes that cost us two points... Should have been a 1-0 win. Or Mignolet's ridiculous attempt to save Ageuro's winner at the Etihad - Should have been a 1-1 draw. Save that, and we're champions... There were several moments that, in hindsight, "cost" us the league. Stevie's penalties were part of the reason we even had a sniff - His slip is not the reason we "lost" it.

Agreed - An almost unmissable miss, that... Or Kolo's pass straight to the West Brom forward when under absolutely no pressure late in the game at the Hawthornes that cost us two points... Should have been a 1-0 win. Or Mignolet's ridiculous attempt to save Ageuro's winner at the Etihad - Should have been a 1-1 draw. Save that, and we're champions... There were several moments that, in hindsight, "cost" us the league. Stevie's penalties were part of the reason we even had a sniff - His slip is not the reason we "lost" it.

It's the most direct reason. It was the point from which we couldn't recover.

the la galaxy fans were apparently trying to organise a boycott of the club cos they didnt want gerrard.

What sense does that make? "No, we're grand, we have Robbie Keane."

I hate LA Galaxy, was at a game last year and there was one of those forced singing sections to my left, and they started chanting 'Ain't nothin but a Galaxy thing'. Like a whole song of it, can't remember the words, but it was brutal. Dre would be ashamed.

Gerrard's form in the latter half of last season was one of the reasons we were able to get as close as we did. Watching our midfield struggle getting on the ball this season just reinforces my opinion of that.

Obviously the slip wasn't the only thing that cost us the title, but it was the incident that can be view as the beginning of the end. We only needed a draw with Chelsea to stay on course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom