• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Richie Benaud

I remember in one-dayers how he used to go on about not letting the run rate required get to 6-an-over, as it would be very difficult from there. How times have changed.
Loved the efficiency of his commentary. "Shot .... for four". "Oh, what a catch". And he seemed to enjoy calling the threes almost as soon as the ball left the bat. A friend wanted to start a fan- club at University, but Richie politely declined.

It says a lot about the guy that he, a proud Aussie, could become so popular right across English cricket. Great player, great captain, great man.

Richie Benaud RIP.

Always very concise and understandable. Before my time but I believe his record as a player was top notch as well.

R.I.P.

Richie-Benaud.jpg

Almost, Glenn

“And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century.”

On the art of captaincy

"Captaincy is 90 per cent luck and 10 per cent skill, But don't try it without that 10 per cent."

On knowing when to be quiet in commentary

“Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what’s on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.”

On the infamous Australian under-arm bowling incident in 1981

"Let me tell you what I think about it: I think it was a disgraceful decision by a captain who got his sums wrong today."

On Shane Warne's 1993 'ball of the century'

"What a cricketer, what a match-winner, what a ball. Gatting has absolutely no idea what has happened to it.
Still doesn't know. He asked (umpire) Kenny Palmer on the way out. Kenny Palmer just gave him a raised eyebrow and a little nod."

On speed

“The slow-motion replay doesn’t show how fast the ball was really travelling.”

On Botham's middle-finger reaction to Atherton overtaking his run record

“Botham, there, showing us that Atherton has passed him by one run.”

Referring to a streaker at Lord's

“There was a slight interruption there for athletics.”

On the the good old days

“The problem with relying on nostalgia for commentary is that people only remember the good things."

And finally...

“From our broadcasting box you can’t see any grass at all. It is simply a carpet of humanity.”

Late to this thread but I grew up watching test cricket on channel 4 and absolutely loved Richie and his weather forcasts! I used to have a desktop widget that they made of him bringing you your local weather forecast from the met office.

Back
Top Bottom