• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a little more likely would be for all six to get deducted 6-9 points starting next season.

Not worth doing this season, because it would no impact on United and City.

This could make next season more interesting for all the neutrals, because maybe 10 teams would have a real chance at Champions League down the stretch.

There will be some kind of sanction for sure. I would guess though that anything that is decided at first (points deductions, bans from European competition etc) will eventually get appealed down to big fines, purely because the owners of the big clubs are not the only ones who are only interested in money.

If anything was to happen it would be suspended anyway. The competitions need the big clubs for viewing figures/sponsorship.

There will be some kind of sanction for sure. I would guess though that anything that is decided at first (points deductions, bans from European competition etc) will eventually get appealed down to big fines, purely because the owners of the big clubs are not the only ones who are only interested in money.

I'm struggling to understand what rule was broken - for punishment to occur there has to be a rule in existence that was breached.

I haven't read the entirety of the rules but I've never heard anything like this before. I would think it would only be in the UK that any punishment might stick depending on competition law in the UK - because any punishment would almost certainly breach EU competition rules.

I'm struggling to understand what rule was broken - for punishment to occur there has to be a rule in existence that was breached.

I haven't read the entirety of the rules but I've never heard anything like this before. I would think it would only be in the UK that any punishment might stick depending on competition law in the UK - because any punishment would almost certainly breach EU competition rules.

I do agree. That L9 rule seems to be getting quoted a fair bit but I guess that would depend on how entering a competition is defined.

So this would be like telling someone you're going to kill them, then not killing them and subsequently being charged with murder.
Seems like bullshit to me and any decent barrister would rip it to shreds.
It's also a bit rich of the clubs wanting points deductions (unsurprisingly Everton being one of them) which would punish not just the clubs and owners but also the fans of the six clubs involved. The same fans that were totally against it and helped bring it all down. Some justice that

I do agree. That L9 rule seems to be getting quoted a fair bit but I guess that would depend on how entering a competition is defined.
I think it would be very difficult to prove the 6 had "entered" the competition "during a season", especially seeing as the competition didn't exist in the season in question and now will not exist. I don't think breach of L9 will stick on a technical level and even if it did, would any appeal board uphold a team being severely punished when they didn't actually play in a competition that never happened?
The CEO of Brighton was on Sky the other day and was talking a lot of sense - for him the issue was loss of any remaining trust of the 6 but footballing sanctions weren't appropriate (which suggests to me that the 14 won't find common ground on what action they want taking). The likes of Baxendale and Parish will get themselves all worked up because it plays to their victim-mentality supporters, but others will take a more pragmatic view.
There'll be a slap on the wrists at the end of all this. Probably a lot of grandstanding in the mean time, but I really don't see the kind of clear rule-breach you could hang a severe punishment on. And when all is said and done, as much as the other 14 are rightly pissed off, they're not going to bite the hand that feeds them, they'll just keep rolling this out every time the 6 complain they're not getting paid what they're worth.

Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall
not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than:
L.9.1. the UEFA Champions League;
L.9.2. the UEFA Europa League;
L.9.3. the F.A. Cup;
L.9.4. the F.A. Community Shield;
L.9.5. the Football League Cup; or
L.9.6. competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member

Beamrider has it covered above.

There's not going to be any punishment for a breach of that

Just ban all 6 from European competition next season. I don't want us playing in the Europa League anyway.

Thing is - all this clamouring for punishment. Let's say that is enacted. Well then suddenly the fans of the Dirty Dozen may start warming to the idea of a Super League type competition. All the fans were against it (apart from Real Madrid fans I'm told by a couple of mates who live out there). And punishment ultimately hurts the fans and playing staff of the clubs who had fuck all to do with it. Fans react emotionally so may go into fuck you mode if it happens. With the fans behind it then it could be game on again. Ultimately though I don't think anything too bad will happen as the greedy cunts like the PL, Sky and UEFA will get fucked commercially. And for all their posturing about how sacred the sport of football is they're all in it for the money.

Thats fine, let them punish us, we will hold one of those worldwide little tournaments in US, and any other rich country, and the teams in that competition will be .... the original founding ESL members !!!!

Thing is - all this clamouring for punishment. Let's say that is enacted. Well then suddenly the fans of the Dirty Dozen may start warming to the idea of a Super League type competition. All the fans were against it (apart from Real Madrid fans I'm told by a couple of mates who live out there). And punishment ultimately hurts the fans and playing staff of the clubs who had fuck all to do with it. Fans react emotionally so may go into fuck you mode if it happens. With the fans behind it then it could be game on again. Ultimately though I don't think anything too bad will happen as the greedy cunts like the PL, Sky and UEFA will get fucked commercially. And for all their posturing about how sacred the sport of football is they're all in it for the money.

Spot on. If they continue to push for the ban of the clubs, it might create the "us against them" among the fanbase. Not like everyone else is pure. We agree that the ESL idea and especially the way it was sold was shit, but there is only a certain amount of preaching we are willing to take from Moshiri.

176773744_2931547703745463_4732429753812096731_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom