• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brentford (H) - 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very different game to the one earlier in the season. Brentford were very submissive and seemed to lack fight... though we were good.

Thought we looked pretty switched on today and all in all it was a pretty dominant performance. The issue again was a lack of cutting edge.

Jota worked hard but he's a supporting act not a headliner. The same goes Firmino et al.

We need a couple more headliners in the team... as we all know.

I really, really wish some of you lot would develop even a small sense of perspective... Fuck me, this place is ridiculous if we're not winning everything 5-0.

Can I not simultaneously enjoy the greatness of the squad assembled but *also* make peace with the end of it and how poorly weve built upon its greatness so far? I think both are fair... think of it like trying to enjoy tom's last season knowing it was the end of the greatest team you're likely to see ...

I was on a work call for parts of the game, so couldn't pay total attention to the game, but from what I saw, our attacking play patterns were good, we moved the ball well and at decent pace. Klopp definitely did some work with them after Arsenal and it showed. Hendo was much improved compared to his last few games and Ox, while erratic as usual, added more urgency and pace to the front 3 compared to the last game.

That said, for all the good approach play, we still seemed to lack cutting edge and quality decision-making for the final pass/shot and you can easily imagine this attack being stifled by a better defence that don't just gift us 2 goals out of nothing. If this was our long-term attacking outlook, I would be super worried – there in no way we would finish in top 4 with this attacking line.

Last edited:
Next stop Arsenal and then Crystal Palace and then our attacking duo will be back. Hopefully FSG will see we need a Salah

LoL ! It's amazing. I've just read through the thread and that definitely isn't the match I saw. Or the performances from some players that have been slaughtered (or bigged up) here.
I'm just back from the match and the pub after. True to say that nearly everyone thought it was a decent performance totally unlike the negative shit in this thread.

Consensus was that Curtis Jones was ace, silky skills and keeping the ball moving. MoM was arguable because Matip was v good and Fabinho bossed midfield apart from a couple of sloppy passes in our half that could have been costly. But Firmino was definitely in the top 3, his touch, control, movement and workrate were top class.

Ox was annoyingly wasteful but you know what? He never fucking hides and scored a cracking goal because he wanted it more than the defender and threw himself to get out the end of a great cross from Robbo.

I swear some of those commenting here weren't watching , completely distorted version of events

Can I not simultaneously enjoy the greatness of the squad assembled but *also* make peace with the end of it and how poorly weve built upon its greatness so far? I think both are fair... think of it like trying to enjoy tom's last season knowing it was the end of the greatest team you're likely to see ...

The end may not quite be upon us, Avy... FFS, mate, we're still one of the top 5 or 6 teams on the planet and have a great chance of winning the European Cup this season. We've hit a blip, as all teams not called City do, and many are acting like we've returned to the fucking Roy Hodgson days. We were rubbish against the Arse, yes. But, a hard fought 1-0 win on Thursday night, and nobody will give a tinker's curse about the first leg anymore. For all the whinging on here, we're still 2nd and still in ALL cup competitions. Things are actually pretty fucking good, compared to almost any other team out there, but you'd never believe it on this site. Perspective, for goodness sake.

The end may not quite be upon us, Avy... FFS, mate, we're still one of the top 5 or 6 teams on the planet and have a great chance of winning the European Cup this season. We've hit a blip, as all teams not called City do, and many are acting like we've returned to the fucking Roy Hodgson days. We were rubbish against the Arse, yes. But, a hard fought 1-0 win on Thursday night, and nobody will give a tinker's curse about the first leg anymore. For all the whinging on here, we're still 2nd and still in ALL cup competitions. Things are actually pretty fucking good, compared to almost any other team out there, but you'd never believe it on this site. Perspective, for goodness sake.

I think we had a chance to be one of the greatest teams ever ... so my frustration comes from that perspective... we should have strengthened after #19 and haunted Guardiola and Ferguson simultaneously... since then, I feel weve been declining fro that level and our owners have not giving the team even adequate backing $ wise. Does that mean the team isnt good? Course not, but its aging, heavily reliant on a player were not sure we can extend and have but 2 years with the man who made this all happen ... that's where my frustration and unhappiness comes from... not to mention I f-ing hate pep and those oil c***s ...

Not everyone sees games the sameway. That is not a fault or being positive or negative, it is just the way things are.
It does not mean that your take on the team (If positive) is the right one, or (if negative) is a bad one.

If I point out something I see and do not like. I am not being negative. It is merely that we should be doing better, or a player that should do better.

For me,although I do not always agree with everyone here I respect there right to support the team how they see fit. And if they do not rate a player, or the manager, or wish to criticise how we perform then that is their right too

Not everyone sees games the sameway. That is not a fault or being positive or negative, it is just the way things are.
It does not mean that your take on the team (If positive) is the right one, or (if negative) is a bad one.

If I point out something I see and do not like. I am not being negative. It is merely that we should be doing better, or a player that should do better.

For me,although I do not always agree with everyone here I respect there right to support the team how they see fit. And if they do not rate a player, or the manager, or wish to criticise how we perform then that is their right too

Some people watch games that didn't happen, mate... And some people are never anything BUT negative when it comes to certain players. Many out there, here and in other forums, don't watch a game objectively, but rather look to be proven right about their pre-existing agenda. And it's fucking annoying.

We just won, fairly comfortably, against a decent, physical team, missing our two most important attackers, showing a vast improvement on Thursday's performance, but if you didn't know the score or the situation and just read the comments during match thread, you'd swear we were fucking everton.

Oh, and opinions can be wrong, by the way. Not saying that any here are necessarily, but that old "doesn't make you right and me wrong" thing is bunk. I know several people who's opinions on certain matters are pure fantasy.

I think we had a chance to be one of the greatest teams ever ... so my frustration comes from that perspective... we should have strengthened after #19 and haunted Guardiola and Ferguson simultaneously... since then, I feel weve been declining fro that level and our owners have not giving the team even adequate backing $ wise. Does that mean the team isnt good? Course not, but its aging, heavily reliant on a player were not sure we can extend and have but 2 years with the man who made this all happen ... that's where my frustration and unhappiness comes from... not to mention I f-ing hate pep and those oil c***s ...

Everything that you say if fair and valid, but it is what it is, and if you devote all of your time to being pissy about what we don't have, you'll miss what we still do actually have... Enjoy it, we don't have more than a season or two of this left, mate.

Everything that you say if fair and valid, but it is what it is, and if you devote all of your time to being pissy about what we don't have, you'll miss what we still do actually have... Enjoy it, we don't have more than a season or two of this left, mate.

Makes me sad ... Feels like you and I will be in our 70s by the time we win #20 !

Joel Matip has been our best player this season after Salah. Absolutely unreal again today.
Yep except that awful pass 1st half which Toney went close with tbf he usually is very good except a few games I recall him being comically bad in….also he has a bad habit of not connecting with headers from our attacking set plays..he should be on 20 goals at the least.

Some people watch games that didn't happen, mate... And some people are never anything BUT negative when it comes to certain players. Many out there, here and in other forums, don't watch a game objectively, but rather look to be proven right about their pre-existing agenda. And it's fucking annoying.

We just won, fairly comfortably, against a decent, physical team, missing our two most important attackers, showing a vast improvement on Thursday's performance, but if you didn't know the score or the situation and just read the comments during match thread, you'd swear we were fucking everton.

Oh, and opinions can be wrong, by the way. Not saying that any here are necessarily, but that old "doesn't make you right and me wrong" thing is bunk. I know several people who's opinions on certain matters are pure fantasy.

When I give my opinions and listen to others give theirs on forums I view it as "a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." Which is one definition of the word, but it is the one that mostly holds true to opinions given on a football forum, especially here.

And as I stated perviously, We all see the games differently.

And have you never complained about a player that you do not rate or like before,during or after a game..?

At the end of the day we all have opinions, just pointing out that yours, or mine are no more valid than anyone elses

When I give my opinions and listen to others give theirs on forums I view it as "a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." Which is one definition of the word, but it is the one that mostly holds true to opinions given on a football forum, especially here.

And as I stated perviously, We all see the games differently.

And have you never complained about a player that you do not rate or like before,during or after a game..?

At the end of the day we all have opinions, just pointing out that yours, or mine are no more valid than anyone elses

I think we’re all very well aware that your views are most certainly not based on fact or knowledge.

Was sitting here wondering that if we compered our squad with Chelsea's Utd, City, Arsenal and Spurs and when one be one we rated the players by "Starter" and "Squad Player" Just how far we are behind the other five quality wise.
Looking at this game and players on the bench we are fucked if we do not bring anyone in in this window

This is the sort of nonsense that does my head in - “just how far we are behind the other 5 quality wise”.

fuck me pink…. Take a look at the league table, for a start and remind me the last time, bar Utd’s lucky blip last year, any one of these teams other than City have finished above us?

Have you seen the state of the Utd midfield and defence?

Have you seen the amount of useless wastes of space Chelsea have spent a fortune on?

I couldn’t name one Spurs player I’d want us to sign - including that mongy slop-jawed wanker of a captain of theirs.

And Arsenal… they’re another team mostly filled with utter wastrels.

Yeah… I’ll look at the other top 5 squads and we’re doing quite fine than you.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t improve our squad or bring in new players… it just means you’re talking out your hole…. yet again.

I was on a work call for parts of the game, so couldn't pay total attention to the game, but from what I saw, our attacking play patterns were good, we moved the ball well and at decent pace. Klopp definitely did some work with them after Arsenal and it showed. Hendo was much improved compared to his last few games and Ox, while erratic as usual, added more urgency and pace to the front 3 compared to the last game.

That said, for all the good approach play, we still seemed to lack cutting edge and quality decision-making for the final pass/shot and you can easily imagine this attack being stifled by a better defence that don't just gift us 2 goals out of nothing. If this was our long-term attacking outlook, I would be super worried – there in no way we would finish in top 4 with this attacking line.
That's a bit weird mate. You know very well this isn't our long term attacking line so I don't see the point of commenting on it like it could be :) It was just a patched up forward line to get us through 2 PL & some cup games until the big boys return. If they can do that then bravo but we know it's going to be a stretch but they've made a decent start. 3-4 games to go before our AFCON boys return,

... But Firmino was definitely in the top 3, his touch, control, movement and workrate were top class.
Yep this is what I saw too. His control and touch meant numerous attacks continued instead of breaking down. Glue.

And he kept up his cracking goals/assists record (one every 80 mins or so this, admittedly for him abbreviated, season).

Absolutely. He's been outstanding, almost every single week. And, eventually, he'll finish one of those crazy runs of his with a screamer into the top corner... ;)
Half the time I wish he wouldn't ! He inevitably loses possession or gives it away and then we're left fighting a breakaway without a CB ! He was unlucky today, the commentator drove me nuts, the blind bastard, talking about a weak shot at the end of his run, whilst what happened was the defender got a partial block on it taking all the power out of it .. otherwise that could have been The One.

Amen to that. Agendas galore in here.

Yep except that awful pass 1st half which Toney went close with tbf he usually is very good except a few games I recall him being comically bad in….also he has a bad habit of not connecting with headers from our attacking set plays..he should be on 20 goals at the least.
Yeah I love Matip but he made a few errors today, that pass Toney), a ridiculous skied attempted clearance and misplaced passes. But to counter that the rest of the game he was marvelous ! #3 in the MotM stakes for me, after Fabs and Bobby.

This is the sort of nonsense that does my head in - “just how far we are behind the other 5 quality wise”.

fuck me pink…. Take a look at the league table, for a start and remind me the last time, bar Utd’s lucky blip last year, any one of these teams other than City have finished above us?

Have you seen the state of the Utd midfield and defence?

Have you seen the amount of useless wastes of space Chelsea have spent a fortune on?

I couldn’t name one Spurs player I’d want us to sign - including that mongy slop-jawed wanker of a captain of theirs.

And Arsenal… they’re another team mostly filled with utter wastrels.

Yeah… I’ll look at the other top 5 squads and we’re doing quite fine than you.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t improve our squad or bring in new players… it just means you’re talking out your hole…. yet again.

Why bother replying to it Stevie? It was one, if not worst, ill thought out post of the thread.

This is going to be unpopular, but everytime Trent does that switch with Hendo, I feel like he's only reaffirming why he should remain a right back. I get that he comes inside to shoot, which he does reasonably well and gives our opponents something to worry about, but his outstanding attribute is his crossing and long passing. That's negated by the tight spaces in midfield. He doesn't have Hendo's tenacity and awareness in midfield to mop up, his short passing game has been and continues to be distinctly ordinary. And he is often caught taking so long all he can do is play it off an opponent's feet, and hope for a lucky rebound. We currently lose far more than we gain when Trent and Hendo swap roles.

Klopp asked why we were getting the best right back in the world to play in midfield, but right now all we're getting is his half arsed attempt at putting that into motion.

Match threads are basically the same as when you are watching the match in real time, if a player shits an easy pass, it gets called out at that moment. Is that not what is happening for you guys watching in the stadium or where ever?

If you are going to dissect comments post match made for a player who plays shit in the first half (and gets slagged), and the player goes on to score a hattrick in the second, many will look very foolish in here but what's the point?

Not sure what's with the negative reaction to comments here. It's not like we want them dead or something. Agenda? Come on.

We've got a win at the end, it's great, we grumble when the match is ongoing, nothing much wrong.

Maybe some of you guys should skip the match thread and move onto the post thread to save yourself the bother.

Why bother replying to it Stevie? It was one, if not worst, ill thought out post of the thread.

I couldn’t resist - but it’s the sort of nonsense that should be called out.

Like I said, I’m all for a bit of criticism - and I’m onboard with the belief that we lack creativity in midfield - I watched a bit of the City v Chelsea game on Sat - and there are many fundamental similarities between us and City - high press, high defensive line, retain possession and play the ball around - the main difference is they have Bernardo Silva and de Bruyne pulling the strings alongside alongside a DM - they’re cracking players - but that’s it - man for man I’d still take our forward line and back line and that’s City we’re talking about.

The state of that Chelsea forward line with Al the money they’ve spent - Lukaku, Ziyech and Pulisic - that’s £180m worth that would barely get on our bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom