• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me he fits into that mould of a talented player who has a point to prove. A lot of gunners saying he's been one of their better performers - but i'm not sure what that is based on. I have a feeling it is based on him seeming to give a shit rather than any end product.

My biggest concern would be him leaving a team where he is a squad option and joining another team where he is a squad option, rather than a sure starter.

I do rate him though and having him added to the set of options for our front 4 or 5 with Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Mane, Origi, Ings, Studge is a good one, at the right price.

If Sterling is £50m, maybe £35m isn't that obscene for The Ox? Although you'd really hope for some last year of contract discounts..
To which case we should ask £55m for Sturridge then

He has according to sites like Transfermarkt played his best fotball as left winger this season. Started 8 games, 2 goals and 3 assists. His problem at Arsenal has probably been that he hasnt gotten a spesific role or position to develop in.
If we sign him and Klopp has plan to develop him in for one spesific role, you might see some of that massive potential being realised.

Maybe it was meant as a compliment

The commentators were equally confused with Walcott after he scored against Citeh a few weeks ago. Something along the line of "Not sure he deserves his place in this team, he does nothing much else besides scoring or providing assists."

Taking Walcott at 23 would have been a no-brainer for me. However - at this stage I think he is short on good years left, and is losing his main asset. Agreed that if comparing Walcott to Ox then it is clear based on what has currently been achieved there is a gulf, but Ox has his career ahead of him.

Also worth considering that Walcott is often deployed as a striker - and in that context 65 in 260 (1 in 4) is not a great return..

Also worth considering that Walcott is often deployed as a striker - and in that context 65 in 260 (1 in 4) is not a great return..

I think it is decent if he played a small portion of his games as a striker. Howecer he should have cemented gis place as their first name on the teamsheet but haven't managed that over all these years.

im operating on the basis that coutinho needs replacing till the end of the summer/ he /klopp says otherwise and if he plays In advanced role, he's not the player to replace coutinho in our system is he?

He adds strength to both the midfield and wide positions. He works hard and is technically able. I can see why Klopp would want him. He covers two positions we need but whether that gives him the platform to become a better player I'm not so sure. As others have said, he needs a set position at his age. £35m is too steep. I'd be fine with £25m.

Ox is cock, no thanks.. He is like a poor man's Barkley.. So that's makes him even more inconsistent.

What's the point in raiding non champion league clubs for their bit part players if we want to be seen competing at the highway level next season.

I like him but I'm not sure where he fits or who he replaces. He can play a few positions though which is useful.

Agree with everyone else, 35m is too much in his last year of contact

No thanks.

He has some decent attributes, but ultimately if an attacking player can't score or create goals, those attributes aren't of much use.

His scoring record is absolutely abysmal. 20 goals in his entire Arsenal career - over 6 seasons.

7-8 goals per season is the bare minimum you need from your AMs. This guy averages about 2-3. Nothing I've seen makes me believe there's ever going to be a significant change in that output either.

Unfortunately we've encouraged the market: if Ibe cost £15m, this geezer probably costs £30m. But he's injury prone, stupid and a gooner, so no thanks.

£30m for a squad player? Worlds gone mad.

But if we can afford to spend this on a player for that, then perhaps we have plenty of money to improve the first XI. I'm setting myself up for a fall aren't I?

Arsenal will probably have to settle for a fee of 20-25 mill £.
If we can get him for that, then I'm okay with it.

In regards to goal return. He has got 6 goals and 6 assists this season, despite not being a regular starter. Thats clearly an improvement.

As said earlier there are probably other targets that we want "more" than him.

I like him as a player but it makes little sense as a signing. What is he? Poor mans Mane?

Mane's shown this season what a player with pace and goals can add to the team.

Oxlade adds only the pace, not the goals.

Klopp is right we badly need to add a wide player - but there's very little point adding a player who doesn't add genuine creativity or goals.

For 35 million, we could target the likes of Mahrez, Douglas Costa (who's looking to leave Bayern), Gnabry, Lemar, Lucas Moura or even Mohamed Salah. I'm sure I could name a few more if I put some thought to it.

They're players who've shown genuine match-winning ability, and shouldn't really be beyond us either as long as we get Champions League football.

Going after Oxlade-Chamberlain would be showing our usual lack of imagination in the transfer market.

Compare him to the wide options that City or Chelsea have - Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Hazard, Pedro, Willian.

Just about everyone represents a better goal threat than him. We've done well adding Mane to our team. Let's get a player of a similar calibre.

I'll be gutted if we get ox at any price. He's more injury prone than sturridge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using SixCrazyMinutes mobile app

You've made this bit up.

Sturridge's last 3 appearances (League/All comps) 16/17 - 15 (22), 15/16 - 14 (25), 14/15 - 12 (18)

Oxlades last 3 appearances (League/All comps) 16/17 - 25 (39), 15/16 - 22 (33), 14/15 - 23 (37)

Let's not forget, Sturridge absence is all due to injuries, Oxlade mostly because he was dropped/ unused sub.

Going after Oxlade-Chamberlain would be showing our usual lack of imagination in the transfer market.

Compare him to the wide options that City or Chelsea have - Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Hazard, Pedro, Willian.

Just about everyone represents a better goal threat than him. We've done well adding Mane to our team. Let's get a player of a similar calibre.

OK, let's compare: Jesus Navas – 0 goals, 2 assists this season. 0 goals last season, 0 goals the season before that. Willian scored 2-4 goals per season until the last couple of seasons, when he got 5-6 per season in his very prime. Hazard, Pedro, Sane and Sterling are all strikers or wing-forwards – they need someone else to defend and supply the ammunition to them. I do agree with you that we need to buy someone like Mahrez, Gnabri or Salah to bolster our attacking line (especially with Sturridge likely leaving), but I just want to make a point that teams also need players like the Ox or Willian who might not produce great goal-scoring numbers, but still contribute enough in the overall play to justify their selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom