• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mohamed Salah Link 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried a Buffalo Worm at the youngest nursery a while back (they had 'earth week' and the Kitchen supplied the goods) and it tasted exactly like Pork Chops only better.. the umami was real in that gross looking thing.

It also contained a staggering 33% protein. Nutritious AND delicious.

Needless to say, I am in now the eat-worm camp (probably been there since I ate an earthworm when I was around 2-years-old mind).

What makes up the other two thirds of it?

What makes up the other two thirds of it?
Had to check it up..

So it's apparently 56% protein and then mostly fat (24%) but also fibres (around 6%) and carbs (6%) and a tad of salt. It's like pork just way better.

*If pigs where scientists this is the superfood they would've engineered, right.. Maybe pigs are clever?

First, it is 34 million rising to 39 if various conditions are met. Second, this guy's record suggests if anything, we've underpaid. He is statistically one of the very best performing players in his position in world football. All transfers come with risks, are you suggesting we never buy any expensive players? Because we're not gambling on someone we hope will reach a certain standard. We're not buying potential that is yet to be realised. He is already playing at a world class standard.

30m rising to 34m is certainly more digestible however rating Itlian football is a terrible idea. The fact Roma finished 2nd says it all. It's a mess.

And even if he does turn out to be superb it doesn't solve the big problem we will still have in Jan when he and Mane fuck off for a month.

I hope he's Fucking brilliant but doing it in Italy doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

This is quite an amusing riposte to some of the clickbait out there in respect of the Salah signing.

Mediawatch: Salah cost more than Pele! And Maradona!

Date published: Friday 23rd June 2017 1:20
Diego-Maradona-Pele-Football365.jpg

Stay on your feet
You will surely have heard Ray Wilkins’ latest rant by now. The greatest assistant manager in the history of the game celebrated the anniversary of the EU referendum in the only appropriate way: by championing the virtues of a British player over a foreign one.
Wilkins directed his ire towards Chelsea and prospective new signing Tiemoue Bakayoko on talkSPORT, and had some points to make.

“I was really disappointed to read they are looking at Bakayoko from Monaco. He is 22, French and doesn’t get near the national side, but it was quoted Chelsea might be paying £32m.
“Well, in Nathaniel [Chalobah] they have a footballer who can play exactly the same but just needs an opportunity.”​
It is at this stage that it must be pointed out that Bakayoko has one international cap to Chalobah’s zero. And the former is competing for places with Paul Pogba, N’Golo Kante, Blaise Matuidi, Adrien Rabiot, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Morgan Schneiderlin and Francis Coquelin (…) among others. The central midfield options in the latest England squad, and therefore those chosen ahead of Chalobah, were Eric Dier, Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and, apparently, John Stones. “Doesn’t get near the national side” seems a bit harsh.
But Wilkins is not done. On Chalobah, he adds:
“You’ve seen already in the three games he’s played [at the U21 Euros] he looks a class act in and among people of his own age.”​
Perhaps therein lies the problem, Ray? Chalobah might look impressive “in and among” players of his own age, but Bakayoko featured prominently for Monaco as they won Ligue Un and reached the Champions League semi-finals. And he is only four months older than his Chelsea counterpart.
Chalobah would surely improve with more game time, and bemoaning a lack of opportunities for young English players is an understandable stance. But surely anyone can see that Bakayoko has achieved considerably more in four seasons as a professional than Chalobah has in five?

Que, Salah, Salah
The British media seemed to struggle with the nature of Liverpool’s purchase of Mohamed Salah on Thursday evening, in that his initial fee of £34.3m is not a club record, but it could become one if the criteria for the £5.7m worth of add-ons is met.
Some could not cope, including the Daily Mirror who claimed that Liverpool had agreed ‘a record-breaking figure that could eventually rise to £39million,’ which will ‘shatter’ their current record fee of £35m. ‘Shatter’ is a bit strong for a potential £4m rise; crack seems more accurate.
The Daily Mail declare Salah’s arrival as a ‘club-record signing,’ before adding that the fee ‘could rise to £39million’. And if, as is possible, it doesn’t?
But the crown goes to Sky Sports, whose own sources just manage to confuse them. ‘Liverpool have completed the signing of Roma forward Mohamed Salah on a five-year deal, with the fee rising to £34.3m’. So what’s the initial fee?

Mo money, Mo problems
Are you still waiting for the hottest take on Liverpool’s newest signing? Well wait no longer, because talkSPORT have you covered.
You see, talkSPORT have noticed two things: Salah cost a fair bit of money, and football stories should only ever be galleries for maximum clickage. Combine the two, and the result is thus:
‘Liverpool transfer news: 10 players who cost less than Mohamed Salah’​
Yes, that’s right. Just ten. Just ten players who cost less than £34.3m. Just ten.
You can imagine the disappointment etched on the face of Mediawatch when none of Willie Groves, who joined Aston Villa for £100 in 1893, Bob Kelly, who moved to Sunderland for just over £6,000 in 1925, or the legendary Jean-Marc Bosman were included.
If we are to be generous to talkSPORT – and we are nothing if not generous – then the above headline is the shortened version used on the site. Their SEO headline is thus:
’10 brilliant players who cost less than the £34.3m Liverpool spent on Salah’​
Pele? Maradona? Best? Beckenbauer? Cruyff? Di Stefano? Dalglish? Nah. How about Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Sadio Mane?

30m rising to 34m is certainly more digestible however rating Itlian football is a terrible idea. The fact Roma finished 2nd says it all. It's a mess.

And even if he does turn out to be superb it doesn't solve the big problem we will still have in Jan when he and Mane fuck off for a month.

I hope he's Fucking brilliant but doing it in Italy doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

I think it depends on the position and the player. I think midfielders can be a problem, in that there is a more languid pace, and it is more technical, and it can be hard to judge how well they will translate. But you only need to look at the player and his qualities (something that seems to have completely bypassed you). Pace, goal scoring ability, and a high tempo pressing style mean that this guy is a perfect fit for Klopp's brand of football and that isn't contingent on playing in Italy. He does it in Europe. He does it in internationals. It is what he does.

This is quite an amusing riposte to some of the clickbait out there in respect of the Salah signing.

Mediawatch: Salah cost more than Pele! And Maradona!

Date published: Friday 23rd June 2017 1:20
Diego-Maradona-Pele-Football365.jpg

Stay on your feet
You will surely have heard Ray Wilkins’ latest rant by now. The greatest assistant manager in the history of the game celebrated the anniversary of the EU referendum in the only appropriate way: by championing the virtues of a British player over a foreign one.
Wilkins directed his ire towards Chelsea and prospective new signing Tiemoue Bakayoko on talkSPORT, and had some points to make.

“I was really disappointed to read they are looking at Bakayoko from Monaco. He is 22, French and doesn’t get near the national side, but it was quoted Chelsea might be paying £32m.​
“Well, in Nathaniel [Chalobah] they have a footballer who can play exactly the same but just needs an opportunity.”​
It is at this stage that it must be pointed out that Bakayoko has one international cap to Chalobah’s zero. And the former is competing for places with Paul Pogba, N’Golo Kante, Blaise Matuidi, Adrien Rabiot, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Morgan Schneiderlin and Francis Coquelin (…) among others. The central midfield options in the latest England squad, and therefore those chosen ahead of Chalobah, were Eric Dier, Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and, apparently, John Stones. “Doesn’t get near the national side” seems a bit harsh.
But Wilkins is not done. On Chalobah, he adds:
“You’ve seen already in the three games he’s played [at the U21 Euros] he looks a class act in and among people of his own age.”​
Perhaps therein lies the problem, Ray? Chalobah might look impressive “in and among” players of his own age, but Bakayoko featured prominently for Monaco as they won Ligue Un and reached the Champions League semi-finals. And he is only four months older than his Chelsea counterpart.
Chalobah would surely improve with more game time, and bemoaning a lack of opportunities for young English players is an understandable stance. But surely anyone can see that Bakayoko has achieved considerably more in four seasons as a professional than Chalobah has in five?

Que, Salah, Salah
The British media seemed to struggle with the nature of Liverpool’s purchase of Mohamed Salah on Thursday evening, in that his initial fee of £34.3m is not a club record, but it could become one if the criteria for the £5.7m worth of add-ons is met.
Some could not cope, including the Daily Mirror who claimed that Liverpool had agreed ‘a record-breaking figure that could eventually rise to £39million,’ which will ‘shatter’ their current record fee of £35m. ‘Shatter’ is a bit strong for a potential £4m rise; crack seems more accurate.
The Daily Mail declare Salah’s arrival as a ‘club-record signing,’ before adding that the fee ‘could rise to £39million’. And if, as is possible, it doesn’t?
But the crown goes to Sky Sports, whose own sources just manage to confuse them. ‘Liverpool have completed the signing of Roma forward Mohamed Salah on a five-year deal, with the fee rising to £34.3m’. So what’s the initial fee?

Mo money, Mo problems
Are you still waiting for the hottest take on Liverpool’s newest signing? Well wait no longer, because talkSPORT have you covered.
You see, talkSPORT have noticed two things: Salah cost a fair bit of money, and football stories should only ever be galleries for maximum clickage. Combine the two, and the result is thus:
‘Liverpool transfer news: 10 players who cost less than Mohamed Salah’​
Yes, that’s right. Just ten. Just ten players who cost less than £34.3m. Just ten.
You can imagine the disappointment etched on the face of Mediawatch when none of Willie Groves, who joined Aston Villa for £100 in 1893, Bob Kelly, who moved to Sunderland for just over £6,000 in 1925, or the legendary Jean-Marc Bosman were included.
If we are to be generous to talkSPORT – and we are nothing if not generous – then the above headline is the shortened version used on the site. Their SEO headline is thus:
’10 brilliant players who cost less than the £34.3m Liverpool spent on Salah’​
Pele? Maradona? Best? Beckenbauer? Cruyff? Di Stefano? Dalglish? Nah. How about Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Sadio Mane?

The likes of Maradona and Dalglish are terrible examples of "brilliant players who cost less than Salah" because for a start they were decades earlier, but they're both players who were involved in RECORD-BREAKING transfers of the time anyway. So if one was to be logical about it, they'd be WAY more expensive than Salah.

So Mkhitaryan and Mane are arguably easier to compare price-wise and talent-wise.

So that article is as shit as the ones it purports to mock.

I think it depends on the position and the player. I think midfielders can be a problem, in that there is a more languid pace, and it is more technical, and it can be hard to judge how well they will translate. But you only need to look at the player and his qualities (something that seems to have completely bypassed you). Pace, goal scoring ability, and a high tempo pressing style mean that this guy is a perfect fit for Klopp's brand of football and that isn't contingent on playing in Italy. He does it in Europe. He does it in internationals. It is what he does.
He seems to look in counter attacking positions something we don't have a problem with. He doesn't show that he can break down a deep lying defense from those clips to me. There is no such thing as high tempo in Italy period!
Europe and internationals is not EPL.

For me he has everything to prove but I hope your faith is well placed.

Unfortunately Chinese restaurants over here (similarly to Indian restaurants) don't tend to serve authentic Chinese food, rather English analogues based upon Chinese dishes.

I will do some digging online & try to find a Szechuan or Hunan restaurant though, could be a good option to suggest to bex family when they inevitably suggest a Chinese meal at some point.

Mr chilli. Fully authentic if you order off the Chinese menu. Very good too.

The likes of Maradona and Dalglish are terrible examples of "brilliant players who cost less than Salah" because for a start they were decades earlier, but they're both players who were involved in RECORD-BREAKING transfers of the time anyway. So if one was to be logical about it, they'd be WAY more expensive than Salah.

So Mkhitaryan and Mane are arguably easier to compare price-wise and talent-wise.

So that article is as shit as the ones it purports to mock.

If I'm reading it correctly, and I suspect I am, it is suggesting that the whole concept of comparing prices is fucking stupid.

He seems to look in counter attacking positions something we don't have a problem with. He doesn't show that he can break down a deep lying defense from those clips to me. There is no such thing as high tempo in Italy period!

They aren't allowed to run or play football at a high tempo in Italy?

There are loads of his goals and assists in those vids where he scores or assists against a packed defence. There are a number of Coutinho style cutting in and curling one type goals. At the minute we only have one really dangerous player shooting from outside the box.

You'll also see him pressing in those vids. The essentials of pressing are no different in Italy than here.

It doesn't make that point - if that is its point - very well at all. It's rubbish.

Yeah, it doesn't make the point that well in truth. But it's there. The faux-outrage in the title does it better than the subsequent argument: Salah cost more than Pele! And Maradona!

They are but they don't

Is shooting different in Italy? Is it somehow easier? Do wide forwards score dozens more goals than those in other leagues? Presumably because the defenders have a self imposed 'walking football' rule, that lowers the tempo to national standards?

Is shooting different in Italy? Is it somehow easier? Do wide forwards score dozens more goals than those in other leagues? Presumably because the defenders have a self imposed 'walking football' rule, that lowers the tempo to national standards?

The "walking football" rule also include;

1. All players must tie their shoelaces together
2. Only allowed to use the left boot on the right foot and vice versa
3. If you are under 26, and can run really really fast, football boots must be swapped with alpine boots

I always try to put stats / achievements in context.

If a player who is average or shit can put up similar stats then it lessens the value you can place on the stats.

So with Salah you've said his goals and assists stats make him world class.

I look at who else playing a similar role is putting up similar stats, this most recent season seems to be:

Insigne
Callejon
Alejandro Gomez
Keita Balde Diao

And they're all varying level of good to very good players but world class is a big stretch.

I always try to put stats / achievements in context.

If a player who is average or shit can put up similar stats then it lessens the value you can place on the stats.

So with Salah you've said his goals and assists stats make him world class.

I look at who else playing a similar role is putting up similar stats, this most recent season seems to be:

Insigne
Callejon
Alejandro Gomez
Keita Balde Diao

And they're all varying level of good to very good players but world class is a big stretch.
I can't be arsed doing this for all of them, but I'll pick the one I know, Keita Balde Diao.

Lets compare stats:

Keita Balde Diao
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{th=rowspan:2}Club{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}Season{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}League{/th}
{th=colspan:2}League{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Cup{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Europe{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Other 1{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Total{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:4}Lazio{/td}
{td}2013–14{/td}
{td=rowspan:4}Serie A{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td=colspan:2}—{/td}
{td}35{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2014–15{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2015–16{/td}
{td}31{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}39{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2016–17{/td}
{td}30{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}31{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th=colspan:3}Career Total{/th}
{th}109{/th}
{th}25{/th}
{th}10{/th}
{th}3{/th}
{th}13{/th}
{th}1{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}1{/th}
{th}134{/th}
{th}30{/th}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Mohamed Salah

As of 7 May 2017.[67]
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{th=rowspan:2}Club{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}Season{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}Division{/th}
{th=colspan:2}League{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Cup{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Continental{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:4}El Mokawloon{/td}
{td}2009–10{/td}
{td=rowspan:3}Egyptian Premier League{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2010–11{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2011–12{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}38{/th}
{th}11{/th}
{th}6{/th}
{th}1{/th}
{th} {/th}
{th} {/th}
{th}44{/th}
{th}12{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:3}Basel{/td}
{td}2012–13{/td}
{td=rowspan:2}Swiss Super League{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}16{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}50{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2013–14{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}47{/th}
{th}9{/th}
{th}6{/th}
{th}4{/th}
{th}26{/th}
{th}7{/th}
{th}79{/th}
{th}20{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:3}Chelsea{/td}
{td}2013–14{/td}
{td=rowspan:2}Premier League{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2014–15{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}13{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}4{/th}
{th} {/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th} {/th}
{th}19{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Fiorentina (loan){/td}
{td}2014–15{/td}
{td=rowspan:3}Serie A{/td}
{td}16{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Roma (loan){/td}
{td}2015–16{/td}
{td}34{/td}
{td}14{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}42{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:2}Roma{/td}
{td}2016–17{/td}
{td}31{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}41{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}65{/th}
{th}29{/th}
{th}3{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}15{/th}
{th}3{/th}
{th}83{/th}
{th}34{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th=colspan:3}Career total{/th}
{th}179{/th}
{th}57{/th}
{th}21{/th}
{th}9{/th}
{th}51{/th}
{th}11{/th}
{th}251{/th}
{th}77{/th}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
He has had one season where he has performed in his domestic league to Salah's kind of level (but even then he has almost a complete lack of European football. In 109 league games yer man has scored 25 goals. Less than 1 in 4. Since moving to the same league Salah has 29 in 65 games. Almost 1 in 2. Keita Balde Diao has limited international experience. 12 games and 3 goals. Salah has 29 goals in 52 games. Now Daio is a clear prospect, but I'll repeat, Salah is playing at a higher level. We also need to take into account that Diao is often played as a fully fledged striker, not in Salah's wing position, making Salah's stats even more impressive. Yes, Diao is an excellent player, and may turn out to be a great one. The stats suggest Salah is currently performing like a great one.

Last edited:
And at Keita's age Salah had less goals and in a similar amount of games, but in shitter leagues.

But thats besides the point. I've never once heard anybody claim Salah was world class until one day before we signed him.

And i'd suggest there's good reason for that

Well done for staying on topic here Pat.

And at Keita's age Salah had less goals and in a similar amount of games, but in shitter leagues.

But thats besides the point. I've never once heard anybody claim Salah was world class until one day before we signed him.

And i'd suggest there's good reason for that

Age is besides the point unless we are buying for the future. Right now they don't compare. I said that I'm talking about Salah now, and that Keita could turn out to be excellent. But we're not buying Salah to be excellent in 3 years, are we? Also, I'll say it more slowly this time so you might pick it up. Keita. is. a. striker. Salah. isn't. Here's the rub– he SHOULD be scoring more goals. He isn't.

And lastly, I had heard on this very forum that Salah was turning into an incredible player.

Yet another player that the much-maligned Rodgers tried to sign years ago, only to get gazumped or let down by his own transfer negotiating team.

If his judgement had been backed, the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Diego Costa and Dele Alli would all be Liverpool players, for a grand total of about £40m.

Yet another player that the much-maligned Rodgers tried to sign years ago, only to get gazumped or let down by his own transfer negotiating team.

If his judgement had been backed, the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Diego Costa and Dele Alli would all be Liverpool players, for a grand total of about £40m.
Hmmm. That's a pretty incredible list. I could overlook the attempt to sign Dempsey. Although I think Costa just preferred Chelsea didn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom