• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mistakes this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
The fuck-ups are down to FSG and their money scrimping antics which could backfire, if we fail to get into the CL.
Back in the summer they let both Hoever and Lovren leave and then not recruit until the last day of the winter transfer window. I am sure it is they that wanted a win in that dead rubber game against the Midgets - which caused Jota to be injured.

Playing strong sides in the domestic cup games was another mistake, as they could have been used to give the 1st teamers a rest and the squad/reserve players game time. However, they were played and added fatigue to the squad.

Anyone who has paid even the smallest interest in Liverpool would have known once VVD got injured it was only matter of time before Matip and Gomez would be out for long spells. Soon as Jan 1st comes get your loan targets.

Having defenders in defence and midfielders in midfield is now paying dividends.

Sigh. Let’s do this again.

Lovren was fucking rubbish. He was an absolute liability. Has a worse injury record than Matip. He’d have played 3 games and out for 7 and it was as we were.

Hoever going helped secure Jota. He wasn’t anywhere near the quality to be pushing the first team. See ya later.

The big defensive mistake was not trusting Phillips once van Dijk was out.

Playing Jota in a dead rubber was THE biggest mistake this season.

None of this is on FSG.

Mistakes have been made both by FSG and Klopp, although it's clear FSGs mistakes have forced Klopp into difficult situations.

Not trusting Phillips enough was Klopps biggest mistake this season. He started with a MOTM performance against West Ham and never really him any reason not to drop him. Klopp wanted midfielders there to replicate his ball playing CBs, but he sacrificed the midfield to achieve it. The system fell apart without the high energy midfield. The players lost confidence both in themselves and in the system, and results nose dived.

FSG also have to take their share of the blame. Going into the season with three senior CBs was a risk, but a calculated one. VVD never gets injured, so that leaves two to cover one spot, and Fabinho as a make shift. Obviously it unraveled badly, but we were unfortunate with that. Pickford is largely responsible.

The biggest issue was not having anyone lined up on January first. The games were coming thick and fast. We had loads of time to get a plan together for January, but we didn't strike until the end of the window. This was a time of genuine sporting crisis. We needed decisive leadership and support. Instead it felt like we only got funds released after Matip went down, and even then the Davies fee had to be covered by Takis loan deal, and Kabak has thankfully arrived without a fee.

This was stinginess on a whole new level from FSG, and made Klopp and Edwards job extremely difficult. The amount of potential deals they would have had to discard due to the insistence or a zero net spend would have been significant.

Last edited:

Lovren was fucking rubbish. He was an absolute liability. Has a worse injury record than Matip. He’d have played 3 games and out for 7 and it was as we were.

Hoever going helped secure Jota. He wasn’t anywhere near the quality to be pushing the first team. See ya later.

None of this is on FSG.

Like in principle. Should have replaced lovren. That's on FSG

None of this is on FSG.
Hoever is a better CB then Hendo, we lost all shape when we put Hendo at CB.
Realising the mistake, the club should have remedied the issue in Jan. We might not be top but we would have been in the top 4 or close to it. It was Klopp telling reporters its not upto him to sign players.
It's FSG that asked Klopp to win that game as it could have generated €1.5m more with a win.

Hoever is a better CB then Hendo, we lost all shape when we put Hendo at CB.
Realising the mistake, the club should have remedied the issue in Jan. We might not be top but we would have been in the top 4 or close to it. It was Klopp telling reporters its not upto him to sign players.
It's FSG that asked Klopp to win that game as it could have generated €1.5m more with a win.

Playing Phillips from the start would’ve meant Hendo wouldn’t have played there.

Ignoring that point, you think we’d be better off keeping Hoever and never getting Jota?

That 1.5m bonus is bull shit rumour.

Mistakes all over the shop.

None more so than my dead rubber claim.

Not playing the kids in the CL dead rubber was the big one for me.

Cost is Jota who would have papered over enough cracks to easily be 2nd.

What was the point in the Davies deal?
He wasn't ready for prime time, I guess.
Buy a player for £2 million, get a £2 million type player, that's usually how it goes.
I think he was bought out of desperation. We needed a 4th choice, we thought he'd be better than Rhys Williams and he apparently isn't.

It'll be interesting to see what Klopp does regarding our CB situation. Buying Kabak is a fucking must. 21 years old, starting alongside Soyuncu for Turkey and playing this well for us, would be stupid to pass on him.
Van Dijk is obviously our first choice.
Matip is our second best defender. We all know about his injuries, but Klopp likes him so I'm not sure he'll let him go.
The Kabak transfer must be made permanent.
Rhys will be loaned out to a Championship level team.
Davies will either be sold or loaned out.
So that leaves Philips and Gomez to battle it out for the 4 th spot and I think that is exactly what's going to happen. We're going to start the season with 5 CB's in the squad.
Why? Because we have three CB's returning from serious injuries. Who knows how good they'll be when they return?

This whole talk about buying the Leipzig guy is a bit strange to me, not sure how Klopp is thinking.
If it does happen, it's the end of the line for one of the 3 senior defenders who started the season.

Last edited:
Playing Phillips from the start would’ve meant Hendo wouldn’t have played there.

Ignoring that point, you think we’d be better off keeping Hoever and never getting Jota?

That 1.5m bonus is bull shit rumour.
nope - I am not against selling any player but a replacement should have been recruited. At the very least they should have realised the mistake and rectified it in Winter window not wait for Matip to be injured and out for the whole season. If Matip was only out for two weeks, I dare say FSG would have got any one.

Buy a player for £2 million, get a £2 million type player, that's usually how it goes.
I think he was bought out of desperation. We needed a 4th choice, we thought he'd be better that Rhys Williams and he apparently isn't.

It'll be interesting to see what Klopp does regarding our CB situation. Buying Kabak is a fucking must. 21 years old, starting alongside Soyuncu for Turkey and playing this well for us, would be stupid to pass on him.
Matip is our second best defender, but we all know about his injuries, but Klopp likes him so I'm not sure he'll let him go.
So that leaves Philips and Gomez to battle it out for the 4 th spot and I think that is exactly what's going to happen. We're going to start the season with 5 CB's in the squad.
Why? Because we have three CB's returning from serious injuries. Who knows how good they'll be when they return?

This whole talk about buying the Leipzig guy is a bit strange to me, not sure how Klopp is thinking.
If it does happen, it's the end of the line for one of the 3 senior defenders who started the season.
Gomez and Matip will not be fit!

None of this is on FSG.

Nah, not completely buying that.

When VVD got knocked to pieces, we should have been in the market asap, not waited til end of January when Matip went down.

What do you mean? They'll all be back for pre season. Unless, you're telling me that we're getting rid during the summer.

You expect one or both of them to not have set backs?
Wouldn’t be surprised to get rid of one or the other either.

Nah, not completely buying that.

When VVD got knocked to pieces, we should have been in the market asap, not waited til end of January when Matip went down.

We should’ve had a signing ready for January 1st. But few deals happen that way.

I think he was bought out of desperation. We needed a 4th choice, we thought he'd be better than Rhys Williams and he apparently isn't.

Matip is our second best defender. We all know about his injuries, but Klopp likes him so I'm not sure he'll let him go.

it hasn’t been the Klopp way but i can see one of Matip or Gomez leaving

one thing I’ve been impressed with is Phillips ability to come in cold and do a job, very useful with injury prone players ahead of him

it hasn’t been the Klopp way but i can see one of Matip or Gomez leaving

one thing I’ve been impressed with is Phillips ability to come in cold and do a job, very useful with injury prone players ahead of him
Remember when Rhys was ahead of him?
Philips is easily our most improved player this season and his value has skyrocketed.
With a year left in his contract(apparently) a lot of teams mid-level downwards will be trying to sign him in the summer.

I'm starting to come around to the idea of having Phillips in the squad next season as well. He has worked himself into that mix in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom