• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Michael Owen Speaks Out Against "Minorities"

Prefix for Poll Threads

Club Legend or Judas Twat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Writing in his new book, which is released later this week , Owen said: "Right at the beginning of the 2005/06 season in Madrid (the English season had already been running for a few weeks by this stage) the President of Real Madrid, Florentino Pérez, knocked on my hotel room door one day while we were preparing for a game.

"‘Newcastle has made a bid in the region of sixteen million pounds,’ he told me, ‘If you want to go, then you can go. If you want to stay, you can stay.’ For many reasons, my staying at Madrid really wasn’t a viable option. I would have been very lonely and Louise wouldn’t have been able to endure being away from friends and family any longer.

"‘But I want to go to Liverpool,’ I told him.

"I’d be being dishonest at this point if I didn’t admit that the heroics of Istanbul were weighing on my mind. As much as I was delighted for all my mates that had lifted the cup, on a personal level I wasn’t just disappointed – I was jealous.

"I know that doesn’t sound great, but that’s how it felt. Had they won it five years after I left, that would have been one thing, but the very next season? That was tough to take.

"‘That’s not possible unless they match Newcastle’s offer,’ he said.

"At the time, that statement was a dagger in the heart. I was being presented with two options – neither of which I particularly fancied.

"Looking back now, Madrid’s position was perfectly understandable I suppose. Football is business after all. But for the naïve people out there who think footballers always call the shots, this is an example of a scenario where I just didn’t have a choice."

---------
Heres my question, why not tell Madrid that he'd only join Liverpool?

Owen talks about when he got the call about Madrid being interested:

"After the call ended, I just couldn’t keep a lid on it. The first thing I did was ask my mate and confidant, Carra, what he thought. ‘Madrid are in for me, mate,’ I explained, ‘what do you think?’ ‘You’re delusional,’ he said – in typically blunt Carra style. ‘Ronaldo, Morientes, Raúl – they’re all crowd favourites. You won’t play.’

"I felt my eyes turn black. Really? I thought.

Well, based on his explanation, If Liverpool had not bid 16M (which we didn't) and he had refused to join Newcastle, then Madrid would have made him stay.

Whether his account is accurate or not, is another matter

Writing in his new book, which is released later this week , Owen said: "Right at the beginning of the 2005/06 season in Madrid (the English season had already been running for a few weeks by this stage) the President of Real Madrid, Florentino Pérez, knocked on my hotel room door one day while we were preparing for a game.

"‘Newcastle has made a bid in the region of sixteen million pounds,’ he told me, ‘If you want to go, then you can go. If you want to stay, you can stay.’ For many reasons, my staying at Madrid really wasn’t a viable option. I would have been very lonely and Louise wouldn’t have been able to endure being away from friends and family any longer.

"‘But I want to go to Liverpool,’ I told him.

"I’d be being dishonest at this point if I didn’t admit that the heroics of Istanbul were weighing on my mind. As much as I was delighted for all my mates that had lifted the cup, on a personal level I wasn’t just disappointed – I was jealous.

"I know that doesn’t sound great, but that’s how it felt. Had they won it five years after I left, that would have been one thing, but the very next season? That was tough to take.

"‘That’s not possible unless they match Newcastle’s offer,’ he said.

"At the time, that statement was a dagger in the heart. I was being presented with two options – neither of which I particularly fancied.

"Looking back now, Madrid’s position was perfectly understandable I suppose. Football is business after all. But for the naïve people out there who think footballers always call the shots, this is an example of a scenario where I just didn’t have a choice."

---------

They said if you don’t want to go to Newcastle you can stay. They weren’t forcing him out

Hes always been a weird person who has zero self awareness, I remember he did an AMA on twitter a few years back and somebody posted the thread on here. It was hilarious, hes totally oblivious to the fact most fans of every club hes played for think hes a complete muppet.

Nah, seeing him celebrating that goal against Man City in a scum shirt disgusts me. He can fuck off with his Michael Owen brand.

He brought me a lot of joyous moments, but he was only relevant while he played for the club I love.
Nothing he's done since leaving, including joining the scum, diminishes those good memories.

They're diminished for me a bit.

I still can't quite understand how him and Carra are such good mates (which is another plus point for Owen). What do they talk about?

Rafa said back in the day that he had a meeting with Owen and told him to be patient and wait for our bid to come in late, he then said that Owen got twitchy and didn't wait because he didn't want to be left in limbo. So instead of being patient, he ended up getting relegated with Newcastle.
Oh yeah...that's how it went.
Well he wouldn't have suited out style anyway. I don't remember him being good out wide.

Oh yeah...that's how it went.
Well he wouldn't have suited out style anyway. I don't remember him being good out wide.

I always got the impression from Rafa's comments about Owen that he went in half-heartedly. I never saw Owen fitting his ethos and by then he didn't have much left in the tank that would have made a huge difference to us anyway. We got the best of Fowler, Owen and Torres, as upsetting as it was when each of them left, so I think in all, they were the correct decisions, with Houllier's decision on Fowler being the bravest. Torres and Owen were loved because we built teams around them that maximised their quality, they never ever had that level of adoration again, not to mention that same level of fitness or personal performance.

We did ok anyway, maybe a couple of extra goals from Owen the following season might have made the difference, we'll never know, but I don't feel ultimately we missed out on anything substantial.

Loved Owen when he was with us. The cup final v Arsenal will always be a great memory. Didn't he leave us late in the transfer window giving us little chance to bring in a replacement?

Anyway he died to me when he posed for that photo with the Utd scarf over his head. Ambassador my arse!

Loved Owen when he was with us. The cup final v Arsenal will always be a great memory. Didn't he leave us late in the transfer window giving us little chance to bring in a replacement?

Anyway he died to me when he posed for that photo with the Utd scarf over his head. Ambassador my arse!

Wound down the clock cos his agent was always "on vacation'. We got $8M when we should have got $20M which impacted our ability to rebuild squad. A Me Feiner for sure.

We like some loyalty and heart around these parts. He never had that, and I'll go further and say we wouldn't have won the CL if he was in the team

It didn't bother me when he went to Newcastle.

It did bother me when he went to United - and I just cannot let that ever slide.

We've all been filthy with the likes of Suarez, Torres, Coutinho etc - but seeing Owen in a United shirt legit made me want to vomit.

It didn't bother me when he went to Newcastle.

It did bother me when he went to United - and I just cannot let that ever slide.

We've all been filthy with the likes of Suarez, Torres, Coutinho etc - but seeing Owen in a United shirt legit made me want to vomit.

Yep did the same for me, just seeing him in that shirt was enough. I could never accept Paul Ince either, hated the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom