• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Make or break season for Nunez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play the mad donkey on the right with Salah tucked in slightly behind him, also on the right.

Jota in the middle. Did you see the trio combine for the goals ? not once, but TWICE.

I don't care about formations anymore. It just works. Even with 10 men !

The main reason it worked for him on the right is because he was playing against Dan Burn who finally got exposed as a LB. Other games will provide different opportunities and different opposition weaknesses.

That said, it was important that he hit the target so well facing the goal from his right - last season he had several really bad misses from that exact position and that led many of us to believe he can only cut in from the left. Clearly not the case on this evidence.

@rurikbird - how many games exactly did he miss from that position last season - or is it only that he missed more than one chance from that position in a single game that people associate so many misses from that side ? - I distinctly remember (correct me if I am wrong) misses from that exact position against Brentford. They are not easy chances - lot of precision needed to finish those types of chances off.

He 100% has to start our next game, but he'll almost certainly go back to looking like a donkey with his touches and passes in the final third, whilst probably also scoring. Such a baffling frustrating player, but you can't help but love him.

I wouldn't start him. We've been looking for a plan B for a decade and he's it. When all else fails, unleash the donkey.

He 100% has to start our next game, but he'll almost certainly go back to looking like a donkey with his touches and passes in the final third, whilst probably also scoring. Such a baffling frustrating player, but you can't help but love him.

Solution is simple, play him but don’t let him touch the ball or pass! One-touch finishes only.

Agree with this guy:

Last edited:
I wouldn't start him. We've been looking for a plan B for a decade and he's it. When all else fails, unleash the donkey.

With all due respect, that was not a plan B, plan B usually comes into play when we cannot break down a team to score a winner against a low block team. Because we were down a man, the situation was different, as the opposition were not in a low-block setup, and we could not play with a high line, so therefore we could use him (Darwin) to play almost as the lone outlet up front and use his pace to beat their defenders to get into a scoring position(s). That is what his ideal position is, same way Rafa used to use Torres. For us Klopp seems to want to stick to his 3 man attack with a false 9 in Gakpo, and that is the reason why we won't use him. Therefore, the issue we have is that we cannot use him unless we want to play counter-attacking football, and Klopp don't do that anymore.

You guys remember Pep not so much fond of Auguero initially as he didn't quite fit into his tactics and plan for City. But eventually he started many games for Pep.
Auguero was something special but with those finishes Darwin could keep running those channels all day long in as many 90 mins games as possible. Klopp would be mad not to adapt a bit for Nunez and with Nunez. This could be our masterstroke to win games in different style and keep opponents guessing. We need all these styles and options, luckily for the first time we have midfielders who can actually create , score and progress with the ball.

The main reason it worked for him on the right is because he was playing against Dan Burn who finally got exposed as a LB. Other games will provide different opportunities and different opposition weaknesses.

That said, it was important that he hit the target so well facing the goal from his right - last season he had several really bad misses from that exact position and that led many of us to believe he can only cut in from the left. Clearly not the case on this evidence.

Please don’t use logic when discussing about the agent of chaos.

Good to see that our coaches arent as poor as some people seem to think;

So I’m not starting the next match thread then?

I have a final draft ready at 5.06pm.

[article]"I'd rather play against Gakpo. I'd rather play against Jota, and they're both very good players, but I'd rather play against both of them than Darwin Nunez," Neville told Sky Sports.

"He would frighten me to death running off my shoulder. The speed of him, the way in which he always moves... but then if you can't finish you don't always have that punch to knock your opponents out...

"If he adds the punch like he has today he becomes a really interesting player for Liverpool."[/article]

It may seem like a statement of the obvious but to me whether Nunez ends up succeeding is simply down to his finishing. I don't think the focus on his technical ability is valid. A certain clumsiness is expected in a player with that much pace and power, heading and shooting ability etc - simply because if he also had an amazing touch you'd be looking at Mbappe, ie a more or less perfect specimen.

If he can start converting a reasonable percentage of his chances then the rest shouldn't matter. This is a Klopp team, after all. It's never been about pretty football.

It may seem like a statement of the obvious but to me whether Nunez ends up succeeding is simply down to his finishing. I don't think the focus on his technical ability is valid. A certain clumsiness is expected in a player with that much pace and power, heading and shooting ability etc - simply because if he also had an amazing touch you'd be looking at Mbappe, ie a more or less perfect specimen.

If he can start converting a reasonable percentage of his chances then the rest shouldn't matter. This is a Klopp team, after all. It's never been about pretty football.

Considering when he plays he gets/makes about 10 chances a game; if he has improved his finishing or willingness to just shoot first time he could truly be spectacular for us.

The problem i think we've had, is we've tried to coach a little of the false 9 in to him. The weird decisions to pass rather than shoot, the hesitancy to make the run. Just let the boy play ffs.

Gakpo working with a prime salah and mane would be good; but not as effective as bobby.

We genuinely need to rethink our game plan as we've got an ageing mo, and a different squad build up to how we used to.

We bottled lightning once, and Klopp wants to try it again with different players. It will not be as effective.

Play a proper 9, and let Nunez cook

Gakpo working with a prime salah and mane would be good; but not as effective as bobby.

We genuinely need to rethink our game plan as we've got an ageing mo, and a different squad build up to how we used to.

We bottled lightning once, and Klopp wants to try it again with different players. It will not be as effective.

Play a proper 9, and let Nunez cook

Yeah I tend to agree. I guess I just don't REALLY understand why we signed him if we were then gonna go out and sign Gakpo too. It's not like Gakpo's 18 and just burst on the scene - we could've just signed him last summer instead of Nunez.

I've been saying to mates all summer that my issue with Nunez isn't the player - I always thought he was a bit unlucky and bound to improve given a bit of time - but fitting into the system. And unless he can take over from Salah on the right, then I still struggle to see that being solved.

Turns out Marcelo Bielsa is helping us to coach Nunez for free.

Interesting - Bielsa did manage to get Bamford to average a goal every other game in their 1st season back in EPL.

The translation of his exact words has slightly more details.

"I had a chat with Bielsa over Zoom. He showed me some of my games and corrected some things. He tells me to run behind the second center-back so they miss my mark. It was a very good talk."

Some other from the interview was mentioned in this article: https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbo...n-nunez-liverpool-suplente-uruguay-camiseta-9

(translated)
[article]The Uruguayan did not hide his anger at not having started as a starter in any of the three games that the English league has played this season, but he admitted that the relationship with Klopp and all his teammates is very good. “ The coach is the one who decides who plays and I respect his opinion. I continue to work in silence, no matter how many minutes I have , I am going to go in, do my job and try to do it as well as possible, ”he indicated.[/article]

[article]Asked if he had gone from going in angry when coming on for a few minutes from the substitute bench during a game, he commented: "I went into every game angry, how can I not go in angry, a player always wants to start, especially when he comes doing things right. Every time he has to come in I try to do my best, then the coach chooses the team, I'm under orders, ”he said.[/article]

[article]The competition within the Liverpool attack is tough for Darwin, who recognized the level that both Mohamed Salah, Diogo Jota, Luis Díaz and Cody Gakpo have . "They are players of a high level, I am in a big club, where there will be healthy competition between the players," he said.[/article]

[article] Regarding his command of English, he said that he is studying twice a week and that he understands some things more than others, that his greatest difficulty comes when they speak to him quickly. A few days after the return of the South American Qualifiers and the official activity of the Uruguayan National Team, Núñez said that he is physically very well, that he has only been bothered since the end of the last season, but that he is undergoing treatment in this regard. “When I take the first steps in training, it is very difficult for me. But when I warm up I feel better and it relieves me, ”he said.

For Darwin it will be the first opportunity to play under the orders of the new Celeste coach, Marcelo Bielsa , since he has not been in the first friendlies led by DT. He said that he had Zoom talks with the Rosario, who showed him some of his games and corrected some movements on the pitch . The striker said that he seemed to him "a serious guy" in his first talks: "it's a new stage with the National Team and I hope it goes well for all of us because we want to bring joy to the people of Uruguay."
[/article]

[article]The attacker also referred to criticism and how he deals with it, saying that he no longer reads social media. “Before, I used to live watching the networks, it hurt me. They say they keep criticizing me, but I don't see anything, working in silence and things are giving me results. For me, let them speak what they want, my head is fine, ”he said.[/article]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom