• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lovren's got his work cut out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skrtel's shit positioning creates the space, Lucas failing to track the man into that space further exacerbates the situation. Everything Ryan said.

there's a fair amount of confusion over Gerrard's role though, he tucks in throughout the game as more or less a third centre halve, so when on the defensive why is it so difficult to adjust? There's a gaping hole there with Gerrard stood a couple of yards ahead of it, when ideally he should be dropping into the space, in the same way he does when collecting possession. He just strolls, Skrtel fails to recognise it early enough and there's acres of space then for the player to run into.

The centre backs play wide apart throughout matches, it doesn't take much more than a direct pass into that area for it to be exposed quickly. Most teams do us that way, they don't do it by intricate passing play, they do it by hitting us direct and early before we have a chance to regroup/position ourselves.

If Sterling closes down yer man instead of inviting him to attack that space the goal wouldn't have happened. A catalogue of blunders in that goal, with about 5 players making errors.

If Sterling closes down yer man instead of inviting him to attack that space the goal wouldn't have happened. A catalogue of blunders in that goal, with about 5 players making errors.

Quite, and you could argue that many of them are conscious of leaving a man, but someone needed to take the initiative there, after Lovren had initially by going out to attack the play.

My problem with the Rodgers system is how easily teams seem to get in between our defence/midfield line and are able to run at our CBs. Ward Prowse got acre of space to play yesterday in the last 20minutes. I think we need more dynamic defensive midfielders than Gerrard and Lucas, which will help cover this. But the defence stepping up faster and closing down the space "in between the lines" (and goalkeeper not afraid to come off his line) would certainly help us improve in this area.

That was after Lucas went off for Allen though, but I agree with your general point. Not staring Can/Allen-Gerrard-Henderson is madness.

there's a fair amount of confusion over Gerrard's role though, he tucks in throughout the game as more or less a third centre halve, so when on the defensive why is it so difficult to adjust? There's a gaping hole there with Gerrard stood a couple of yards ahead of it, when ideally he should be dropping into the space, in the same way he does when collecting possession. He just strolls, Skrtel fails to recognise it early enough and there's acres of space then for the player to run into.

The centre backs play wide apart throughout matches, it doesn't take much more than a direct pass into that area for it to be exposed quickly. Most teams do us that way, they don't do it by intricate passing play, they do it by hitting us direct and early before we have a chance to regroup/position ourselves.

Spot on, Mark. Finally a kindred spirit!

I see what you mean, but Gerrard dropping in between them is when the full backs have pushed on and we have possession - to make the most of his long, raking passes. When we don't have the ball, the defence (should) go to a flat back four, with Gerrard and Lucas sitting in front of them. Gerrard definitely could have done better, but it wasn't his responsibility. The second thing you get taught as a centre back (after don't let the ball bounce!) is make sure there are no huge spaces between you and your partner. Skrtel is oblivious to the huge space and should close the gap. If he does, the ball to Clyne is never on. In addition, the fact that Lucas half-heartedly tracks him (he was Lucas' man), only to just leave him to do some pointless jockey thing on the edge of the box that was of no use at all, was more of a direct cause to the goal than Gerrard's role.

Skrtel and Lucas at fault, for me.

I see what you mean, but Gerrard dropping in between them is when the full backs have pushed on and we have possession - to make the most of his long, raking passes. When we don't have the ball, the defence (should) go to a flat back four, with Gerrard and Lucas sitting in front of them. Gerrard definitely could have done better, but it wasn't his responsibility. The second thing you get taught as a centre back (after don't let the ball bounce!) is make sure there are no huge spaces between you and your partner. Skrtel is oblivious to the huge space and should close the gap. If he does, the ball to Clyne is never on. In addition, the fact that Lucas half-heartedly tracks him (he was Lucas' man), only to just leave him to do some pointless jockey thing on the edge of the box that was of no use at all, was more of a direct cause to the goal than Gerrard's role.

Skrtel and Lucas at fault, for me.

Yeah, but my point is the lack of re-adjustment, the centre backs still have acres of space between them, as though they're stuck in two minds from when we're in possession. This is what I was saying about how easy it is for teams to hit us early, play a long raking pass into a player who's getting amongst the back four and we're struggling then to adjust into a defensive unit - go from two at the back with Gerrard dropping in and the fullbacks pretty much aligned with midfield, to then having to become a compact back four - it's proving near impossible.

Gerrard should have the nous to notice when there is a gap to fill defensively, as importantly as when he drops in to take over possession. Skrtel should have noticed the danger and constricted the space, while Lucas should have tracked the run. It was a brilliant piece of improvisation but Lovren, while doing the initial basics in going out to attack the ball, is undone easily too. Johnson is too wide of Lovren as a starting position, much in the same way there is a massive gap between Lovren and Skrtel, that point again about re-adjusting. The only player really to come out of that setup with any credit is a kid on loan who's been here two weeks - he does everything right, he gets tight to his man, drags him into a constricted space and tightens up his area of the backline.

Yeah, but my point is the lack of re-adjustment, the centre backs still have acres of space between them, as though they're stuck in two minds from when we're in possession. This is what I was saying about how easy it is for teams to hit us early, play a long raking pass into a player who's getting amongst the back four and we're struggling then to adjust into a defensive unit - go from two at the back with Gerrard dropping in and the fullbacks pretty much aligned with midfield, to then having to become a compact back four - it's proving near impossible.

Gerrard should have the nous to notice when there is a gap to fill defensively, as importantly as when he drops in to take over possession. Skrtel should have noticed the danger and constricted the space, while Lucas should have tracked the run. It was a brilliant piece of improvisation but Lovren, while doing the initial basics in going out to attack the ball, is undone easily too. Johnson is too wide of Lovren as a starting position, much in the same way there is a massive gap between Lovren and Skrtel, that point again about re-adjusting. The only player really to come out of that setup with any credit is a kid on loan who's been here two weeks - he does everything right, he gets tight to his man, drags him into a constricted space and tightens up his area of the backline.

Ahh I see. I misunderstood your point. I agree with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom