• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lovren priced at £25m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiggles

Part of the Furniture
Milan interested according to Joyce.

It would make sense providing we can get another CB lined up. Lovrens wages are too high for a squad player and he's too injury prone for a CB.

30 next month, can be good but has a disaster in him. Sounds like an obvious sell but what's the cost of replacing him?

I'd keep unless we've got our eye on someone

After VVDs arrival you have to acknowledge Lovren improved markedly....

He had Ronaldo in his pocket in Kiev... World Cup finalist...

But yes i’m sure he wants to play so...

IF we can get a reasonable fee for him I wish him luck but at the same time I’m certainly not upset if he stays.

One man not happy at the news
salah-afp-5%3A26%3A18.jpg

Maybe this woman could help console him?
1556792356-salah_main.jpg

Here we are lamenting we aren't in for De Ligt and yet seem happy to see one of our established CBs go, a lad who is far from being a donkey even in he hasn't lived up to his own hype, a lad who is happy to sit on the bench until called upon. Not many teams have a 4th CB as strong as Lovren. I won't be happy to see him go unless we see De Ligt or another strong CB inbound.

Here we are lamenting we aren't in for De Ligt and yet seem happy to see one of our established CBs go, a lad who is far from being a donkey even in he hasn't lived up to his own hype, a lad who is happy to sit on the bench until called upon. Not many teams have a 4th CB as strong as Lovren. I won't be happy to see him go unless we see De Ligt or another strong CB inbound.
If we are selling him. It's cause he's not happy not having a guaranteed spot.

Centre back options are very strong for us. With potential for the future as gomez is young, and hoever looks the business. I'd like to see a marquee signing up front rather than in Central defence. With that in Mind I'd like to see him stay. All 4 cbs have played their part this year...

I think the price reflects the cost of us replacing him than his real value.

For £25M I would drive him to Milan myself (mostly because I want to hang out in Lombardy and eat like a pig).

Last edited:
For £25M I would drive him to the Milan myself (mostly because I want to hang out in Lombardy and eat like a pig).
I'd be following behind you just in case you broke down.

I can't see us selling Lovren and buying De Ligt either. The squad harmony will be totally disrupted if he comes here on anything north of £200k per week. It simply isn't worth it

I'd be ok with whatever happens with Lovren. Gomez will hopefully continue to push on and Matip was in great form at the end of the season - but Gomez is returning from a major injury and Matip can seldom stay healthy enough for a sustained run. So keeping Lovren makes sense in that context. But 25m seems a good sale too.

Completely agree, Lovren is one of the best defenders in the world, his performances in the CL last season and the subsequent world cup against some of the best players in the world proved he is just that. What he also demonstrated last season in his national team was the ability lead the back line while being partnered alongside a defender who is not up to the standard of any of Matip, or Gomez. I actually love his nutty appearances on the video's etc., nothing seems to dent his confidence. I hope he stays, because I really think he will be hard to replace.

On another note this De Ligt guy and all the transfer speculation surrounding him and the money/pay being mentioned - I don't personally give a fuck, but it worries me that it could truly unsettle some of our defenders watching a 19 year old earn so much. I hope I am wrong, but right now De Ligt reminds me of a young Ramos, who had quite a few Lovren 'moments' in his early days, but like Ramos likes to go forward. My biggest hope for him, is no one gets dragged into a price war for him, and he fucks up any moves and ends up staying at Ajax.

If we are selling him. It's cause he's not happy not having a guaranteed spot.
He seems happy enough and was ecstatic in Madrid and during the parade. He won't be going anywhere he can win trophies so I expect be,like Lallana, is happy enough to stay. No doubt we'll see a statement to that effect from him soon enough (if the rumours persist).

Milan paying 25m? No chance. It will be a 2 years loan, 3m upfront with an option to buy at 10m (and they won't end up buying him).

Milan paying 25m? No chance. It will be a 2 years loan, 3m upfront with an option to buy at 10m (and they won't end up buying him).
Yeah, not sure it's like that anymore with their new owners but still we've learned our lesson.

Markovic. He's gone, right? At last. Another parasite wage off the books.

Yeah, he's been off the books since February I think. Didnt he sign a short term contract with Fulham? He's probably a free agent now and looking for a good pay day and then can kick his feet up again and breeze through the next 3-4 years without playing.

Aren't Milan in the shit because they didn't make top 4 and with FFP?

[article]It would have been poetic justice had Dejan Lovren’s final game for Liverpool been against Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League final. Spurs, after all, provided the Croat with his worst day in a Liverpool shirt. Instead, the centre back watched his team’s 2-0 victory from the bench in Madrid. He is a long way down Jurgen Klopp’s pecking order.

A move to AC Milan could be an attractive option for all parties. If the Serie A club meet the asking price of £25 million (US$31.7 million) Liverpool will have no compunction in selling. Lovren will be 30 next month and in his four years at Anfield has never put together a run of 10 successive starts for the team.

The low point for the £20 million buy from Southampton came two years ago at Wembley in a 4-1 Premier League rout by Mauricio Pochettino’s team. Lovren was withdrawn by Klopp after 31 minutes after a horrendous first half-hour. Liverpool were only 2-1 down at that point but could have conceded five. The chaos was not all down to the centre back but his lack of leadership, flawed positional sense and his tendency to unravel after making a mistake made him the most obvious scapegoat.
It was something of a surprise that he played any part in Klopp’s plans after that match. Many players would have struggled to come back from that experience.

Now he is fourth choice central defender. Virgil van Dijk exudes the authority Lovren lacks. Joel Matip is more consistent and has a better capacity to put errors behind him during the game. Joe Gomez has pace and the ability to distribute the ball. If the 22-year-old can prove his fitness he will partner Van Dijk for the foreseeable future.

It means Lovren is likely to move. There will be many regrets about his time at Anfield, however.

In his single season at St Mary’s – under the managership of Pochettino – Lovren looked like a man who could solve Liverpool’s defensive problems. He was part of a hardworking defensive triangle with Jose Fonte alongside him and Morgan Schneiderlin operating in front of the pair to form a solid unit. Lovren looked ready to take a step up in class.

Instead he found chaos and confusion at Anfield. Brendan Rodgers was still in charge and even though Liverpool had come second to Manchester City in the previous campaign they were in disarray. Luis Suarez had forced through a summer move to Barcelona and the cast of replacements were second-rate. Some were risible – Mario Balotelli, Lazar Markovic, Rickie Lambert and Alberto Moreno. Adam Lallana and Emre Can were just about passable. Divock Origi salvaged his reputation with big goals last season but has never been good enough. Lovren seemed well set to be the best of a very ordinary bunch. He never quite managed that

The defence was in a shocking state. There was little confidence in Simon Mignolet in goal. Lovren’s potential central partners all had huge flaws. Kolo Toure, at 34, was brought in to provide leadership but did not have the personality to carry a defence, never mind a team. Mamadou Sakho was a masterpiece of wishful thinking; a defender who caused a ripple of panic in the dugout whenever the ball came near. Martin Skrtel was over 30, past his best and out of favour with Rodgers. To make things worse, Moreno was deployed at left back. It did not need a tactical genius to work out that Liverpool were vulnerable in this area and attackers could get a free run at the centre backs when the Spaniard went walkabout.

Yet what shocked Lovren most was the lack of screening that came from the midfield. In particular, Steven Gerrard did little to help out the beleaguered defenders. The captain was 35 and nearing the end of his glorious career. Rodgers had used him in a deep midfield role in the previous season not because he thought Gerrard would excel in the position but because the manager thought him undroppable. It was a surprise to the Northern Irishman that Gerrard became almost as influential as Suarez in the title challenge.

Right from the start, Lovren appeared out of his depth in an incoherent team. Liverpool finished sixth in the league, just two points ahead of Southampton. Rodgers never got to grips with the defence and when he was sacked three years ago Klopp inherited a side that needed a significant overhaul.

There are many reasons to praise the German but, in 2015, he was too slow to recognise the inadequacy of the squad. Especially in the defensive areas, players were allowed to make the same blunders over and over. Van Dijk’s signing changed things. The Dutchman made the sort of difference that the club hoped Lovren would make four years ago. Alisson Becker’s arrival gave the entire back four a sense of security. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson have had a huge impact, too. Matip’s game was elevated by having good players alongside him. Lovren did not show much sign of improvement.

If he leaves it will be with a Champions League medal but there is a sense that he never really made a proper mark at Anfield. He could – and should – have been so much better.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom