• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v West Brom - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could've sworn I saw a clear handball by one of their defenders, challenging Sadio for a header from a Hendo cross from the right, early on, before the goal - There were no replays and no discussion of it, though... Anybody else, or was I momentarily cnuted and seeing things?
Yes, I saw that handball also....not even one replay of it, if it had been in our box then the replay would've gone on until HT

Furlong more than once with both arms round Mane in the box. Both arms. And we wonder why Mane had a quiet second half.

It was like he (furlong) was untouchable.

In my opinion we need:

A. More creative movement against this type of set up. Im sure we should be able to create space if we pulled them about a hit more.
B. To alter our form of attack. e.g. Try some longer shots, to mix with the crosses and the passes through the middle.
C. Not to get caught without enough cover at the back when we are ahead. Despite the clamour from the media for the second goal, there's no need to push it. They weren't threatening at all.
D. More ambitious substitutions. Div on for Firmino when we have a late corner - really? He scored a late winner from a corner last week... Ox on too late. Why is Shaq not used? He always looks great when he comes on.

I don't know why I have the cheek to criticise Klopp, but fuck it!

I thought Jones was pretty good until the mistake. Surprised to see so many people saying he was shit.

It looked to me like he'd been instructed to play with less caution and take players on more often.

Sure, doing it in our half and heading back to goal turned out to be the wrong decision, but that goal came from more than just one mistake by one kid.

One thing I really liked about the game was seeing how much the senior players trust Curtis and feed him the ball. Contrast with Keita and Minamino, and remember he's 19.

He's quickly becoming my favourite player. Kid's gonna be a fucking star.

I thought Jones was pretty good until the mistake. Surprised to see so many people saying he was shit.

It looked to me like he'd been instructed to play with less caution and take players on more often.

Sure, doing it in our half and heading back to goal turned out to be the wrong decision, but that goal came from more than just one mistake by one kid.

One thing I really liked about the game was seeing how much the senior players trust Curtis and feed him the ball. Contrast with Keita and Minamino, and remember he's 19.

Definitely the case with Minamino, but not Keita ... he gets the ball all the the time.

All these dropped points I can't help but feel wouldn't be the case if we had Virgil around.

Not only do we get a few more "cheap goals" from set pieces to kill off chancers like WBA. But we also defend them far better and don't give away cheap goals.

We need a commanding aerial presence (with good pace) to come in, in January.

We havent been defending well since March, Virgil was there for alot of our worst defensive performances, Villa 7, City 5, Chelsea 3, Watford 3

Agree we need a new CB in Jan, we needed it before this game, but anybody who thinks we can win the title with Williams or Phillps playing the bulk of our games is sadly mistaken.

I wouldn't go that far. Even with one of them in the side our defence is as good as most out there. I would also prefer us to strengthen at CB though.

We havent been defending well since March, Virgil was there for alot of our worst defensive performances, Villa 7, City 5, Chelsea 3, Watford 3

Agree we need a new CB in Jan, we needed it before this game, but anybody who thinks we can win the title with Williams or Phillps playing the bulk of our games is sadly mistaken.
I think our problem is largely further up the pitch with a functional midfield which lacks creativity when facing a teams such as these. Even when the play opens up a bit-/ WBA started venturing upfield, they failed to take advantage of any space through the middle. Klopp must surely recognise the problem otherwise he’d not have bought Alcantara and Keita. Unfortunately, they’ve not been available for any run of games.

Totally agree. I was going to say something similar. He (and Salah) were the ones trying the hardest to make inroads through their tightly-knit defence.

It was a stupid mistake for the corner - as soon as he turned back to goal I could see something bad was going to come of it. However overall he didn't have a poor game at all.

I think our problem is largely further up the pitch with a functional midfield which lacks creativity when facing a teams such as these. Even when the play opens up a bit-/ WBA started venturing upfield, they failed to take advantage of any space through the middle. Klopp must surely recognise the problem otherwise he’d not have bought Alcantara and Keita. Unfortunately, they’ve not been available for any run of games.
Agree. Those are the two obvious players for games like this. Though why Klopp went for Ox. (with no space ahead of him to run into, the obvious happened - he kept running into a brick wall) and not Shaq., who has the cuteness to unlock defences (esp. with runners like Mo, Mane and Bobby), I just don't understand.

WBA 0 LEEDS 5

Yeah, most of Leeds chances came on the counter attack. Despite whwt he likes to claim big Sam isnt some defensive genius because he knows that its hard to break down a 10 man defence. Leeds didnt carve them open, they gave them more of the ball and attacked the spaces.

Dominating posession is useful but dominating posession to the point where an opponent never breaks up their defensive formation can be counter productive, especially when you are already winning.

Leeds twatted most of them in from outside / edge of the box, I think that's where most people are a bit pissed off about Shaq not being used
I’m pissed off at the ones who played for not having the brains to alter their play and try something different.

I can’t remember many outside the box goals scored by shaqiri. I remember a few from Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Floaters into the box was just about everything we tried.
Robbo fizzed a couple in from the byline, didn't Trent do the same and also try a low cut back?

Jones had a few attempts at running at them through the centre, as did Ox and Mo.

Hendo and Fabs tried a long shot each.

Etc. I thought our problem was that we didn't persevere with what seemed to work.

Robbo fizzed a couple in from the byline, didn't Trent do the same and also try a low cut back?

Jones had a few attempts at running at them through the centre, as did Ox and Mo.

Hendo and Fabs tried a long shot each.

Etc. I thought our problem was that we didn't persevere with what seemed to work.
Of course they did, my point was primarily about the midfielders. Jones imo held on to the ball for too long, Henderson wasn't that imaginative and Gini played it safe.
All of them were wasteful.
I think Keita would have been perfect for that game and since his was out Shaq was the best option from the bench imo.
We needed someone more direct than the ones who started. Sure Ox, is someone you'd class as direct, but not against a team sitting back.

We started with pretty much our best available eleven, got the early goal and completely controlled the first half. The final ball was often not good enough, but it felt like the second would come.

If anything, I thought we should have tightened up in the second half and kept possession.

Shaq may have changed it for the better, we'll never really know. That game could easily have gone very differently.

Did I hear the commentator correctly that we had won 33 and drawn 1 in our last 34 home league games?

I'm hoping it was just one of those days and we smash Newcastle tonight and all is well again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom