• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool miss out on seeding for Europa League draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
December 17, 2009

Liverpool face the prospect of potentially tough opponents in their first experience of the Europa League after UEFA confirmed they will not be seeded for Friday's knockout stage draw.

Poor goal difference in the Champions League groups means Rafael Benitez's side miss out on being among the 16 top seeds for the new-look competition, which replaces the UEFA Cup.

It means Liverpool - along with Everton and Fulham, who are both also unseeded - may have to play strong teams including a trio from Germany - holders Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg and Hamburg - as well as Italian giants Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk from Ukraine and Turkish club Galatasaray.

A UEFA spokesman said: "Liverpool will not be one of the seeded teams. The top seeds are the 12 groups winners from the Europa League and the best four third-placed sides from the Champions League.

"Among the clubs dropping down from the Champions League, Juventus and Unirea Urziceni won more points than Liverpool, while Marseille and Wolfsburg had a better goal difference."

The seeded teams are also given the advantage of playing the second leg at home. The round of 32 starts on February 16 with the final in Hamburg on May 12.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=714528&sec=uefaeuropaleague&cc=5739

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=37981.msg1016153#msg1016153 date=1261066374]
That really doesn't matter at all. We (should) beat anyone in that tournament.
[/quote]

^^ What he said. ^^

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=37981.msg1016153#msg1016153 date=1261066374]
That really doesn't matter at all. We (should) beat anyone in that tournament.
[/quote]

If we play our strongest team.

I hope we get a kind draw and blood some kids along side the strongest members of our squad.

I'd like to be able to say "bovvered?" but the sad fact is we need the money we'll get from a good run in that tournament.

I don't think we deserve to be seeded. At the moment we are Premier League mid-table standard at best.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=37981.msg1016212#msg1016212 date=1261073312]
Who fucking cares?
[/quote]

what he said

I reckon by the time these games arrive we will all give a fuck as it'll be a nice change from the grind of the league.

I'll still be there shouting for th boys of course. The lad who has on of my season tickets asked me to ring up and remove him from the auto cup tickt scheme for the Europa cup as it's in my name. I told him to fuck off of course.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=37981.msg1016299#msg1016299 date=1261079311]
who gives a shit. the sooner we get kicked out the sooner we can concentrate on the league
[/quote]

Which of course would also be your opinion if we were still in the CL.

Why would it be?

Any fucking flid can tell the difference between the two competitions and their relative\ monetary import

So what is your fucking point?

It's a trophy which we still can win. I want us to win it and not to go out.

The CL would have distracted us from the league too.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=37981.msg1016320#msg1016320 date=1261080030]
Why would it be?

Any fucking flid can tell the difference between the two competitions and their relative\ monetary import

So what is your fucking point?
[/quote]

On the monetary importance, Purslow said that we would make more money if win Europa than we did last year from reaching Champions league quarters.

A good distraction;
like a page 3 girl stripping in a field outside your classroom window

As opposed to a bad distraction; a middle-aged mental patient trying to fellate a horse in field outside your classroom window

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=37981.msg1016330#msg1016330 date=1261080634]
Valid comparison.

So you don't want us to win the Europa League?
[/quote]

not if it hinders us finishing top 4

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=37981.msg1016332#msg1016332 date=1261080751]
[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=37981.msg1016330#msg1016330 date=1261080634]
Valid comparison.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we had reached the CL final and finished 5th we'd been distracted the same way and still wouldn't have entered the CL next year. But still you'd preferred us to qualify for the KO phase, wouldn't you?

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=37981.msg1016335#msg1016335 date=1261080945]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=37981.msg1016332#msg1016332 date=1261080751]
Valid comparison.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we had reached the CL final and finished 5th we'd been distracted the same way and still wouldn't have entered the CL next year. But still you'd preferred us to qualify for the KO phase, wouldn't you?
[/quote]

with the rule change I wouldn't care if we won the CL and finished 10th

Not really as he didn't answer my original question.

I don't think that playing in the EL will effect us much. Certainly not more than playing in the CL.

It will certainly not hinder us from finishing 4th.

so guys this is who we could be drawn against..

Anderlecht (Belgium)

Valencia (Spain)

Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel)

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal)

Roma (Italy)

Galatasaray (Turkey)

Salzburg (Austria)

Fenerbahce (Turkey)

Benfica (Portugal)

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands)

Werder Bremen (Germany)

Unirea Urziceni (Romania)

Juventus (Italy)

Wolfsburg (Germany)

Marseille (France)

[quote author=FPI Project link=topic=37981.msg1016596#msg1016596 date=1261127557]
so guys this is who we could be drawn against..

Anderlecht (Belgium)

Valencia (Spain)

Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel)

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal)

Roma (Italy)

Galatasaray (Turkey)

Salzburg (Austria)

Fenerbahce (Turkey)

Benfica (Portugal)

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands)

Werder Bremen (Germany)