• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Loan Watch - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our handling of young players need to change/improve. In terms of when to grant loan moves, as well as where to.

Perhaps. We could ask why it's taken until Clarkson and Morton reached 20 before they got their first glimpse of senior football but perhaps there were no offers to take him on loan? You can't force dump them at any club you see fit and tell that club "now you must work with him and play him because it suits our best interest"

Bradley has gone out a year earlier (than Morton) and 2 years earlier than Clarkson....which tells me we have proper plans for him in the next few years and see him at least as a part of the main squad.

Clarkson has his chance in the championship with Blackburn the season before, he couldn't cut it so we were left with no option but to drop him a level.

But ultimately I do think the main issue lies with lack of talent....without sounding too harsh because their teenagers at the end of the day.

Ideally, we should have versatile/experienced backup so that the young players don't get held back and end up getting the odd games here and there. Which is why I prefer that the likes of Bajcetic and Bradley, esp. the latter, get regular playing time to aid in their development next season

This is another issue, our senior squad is very thin and even with the number of injuries we suffer the kids are no where to be seen......we don't seem to have a strategy in place, we don't sign a lot of players so won't have experienced back up in a lot of areas, and we don't push kids in our u21 to step in.

How many from the u21 that've played regularly this season have we seen in the senior match day squad? Corness....Hill.....Norris....Stephenson...Beck....Stewart.....Koumetio, these guys are already 19/20 with no firrst team experience.

Rhys Williams is a great example to use where we did use him for a spell due to multiple injures.....ends up playing 19 times in that awful 20/21 season, next 2 seasons after that he's failed at championship level, so what can we do with him now? They aren't talented enough.

Last edited:
I think there are far more factors to consider while determining why regarding loan moves don't work out - having to settle into another club as well as living environment, playing competitive (and/or regular) football for first time, manager's style of play, loan club's aspirations etc. Which is why more effort/concrete plan would be ideal - the Amiens and Famalicao loans and those that Awoniyi and Allan made seemed so random :oops:.

Williams' only loan spell before 20/21 was in non-league football in 19/20 so again, poor judgement to throw him into Championship (first to a playoffs chasing side and then relegation threaten side) - Clarkson suffered similar problem - 1st loan move and it's to a play-offs/promotion chasing side in Championship - not all players impress right away when they go on loan, like Elliot at Blackburn.

Tomori's 1st loan move at Hull wasn't a success, Kane's loan moves yielded 16 goals is 65 apps over 4 different stints - not figures that would make you think he'll get where he is today. Balogun scored 3 in 18 while at Boro last season but has 18 in 33 in Ligue 1 this season.

It's a chicken and egg situation or vicious cycle in some sense - I don't think it's just such a simple case of (all/so many of) these players non being good enough. Let's see how we handle the development of the likes of Doak, Clark, Gordon and Cannonier.

I call Nunez quality, a sexy cunt and a bit of a maniac.

Don't see how anyone can call him shit, probably disillusioned with the vision of what a 70-80m striker should look like....& that's if he's not doing a Haaland he's automatically shit.
Yep I expect a 70-80 million, 23 year old striker to be better. Although, like I said I hope I'm wide of the mark, (like his shooting).

Yep I expect a 70-80 million, 23 year old striker to be better. Although, like I said I hope I'm wide of the mark, (like his shooting).

& he will become better.....do you remember Drogba's first season at Chelsea or RVP's first season at Arsenal...or maybe Suarez first season with us?

It's fine to say you'd expect more for that amount but to say he's shit is.....well wide of the mark.

[article]Liverpool youngster Luke Chambers has signed a new deal with the club he has been with since the age of six.

The 18-year-old has spent the second half of the season in the Scottish Premiership with strugglers Kilmarnock where he has made 11 appearances since January. He has also featured as part of the pre-season tour with Jurgen Klopp's side and has been named in the matchday squad twice in his professional career.

Chambers was a part of Ian Foster's England U19s squad that scored European Championships glory last summer as they beat Israel 3-1 in the final. The full-back was alongside fellow Reds prospect Jarrell Quansah for the triumph in Slovakia.

The extension comes amid claims from Scotland that Championship side Watford were monitoring the full-back's progress with the Ayrshire side. In April, the Daily Record's Scott Burns wrote that Hornets technical director Ben Manga had travelled to watch Chambers against Celtic.[/article]

Overall very successful campaigns for both Morton and Bradley, hard to tell whether they'll be part of the first team next season but one things for sure they'll
be given pre-season to show their worth.

[article]Sepp van den Berg admits he'll discuss his future at Liverpool this summer.

The defender has spent this season on-loan with Schalke.

"I get messages regularly," the 21-year-old said to WAZ. "There were especially many after the games against Bremen and Mainz. Assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders also congratulated me. But I'm not in daily contact with Liverpool officials now.

"I'm a family guy and at Schalke I was immediately welcomed as a member of the family. That made me feel at home very quickly. I get along with everyone here. I also fit in well here in terms of gameplay, and I want to prove that again in the last two league games.

"There have already been initial talks with those responsible about remaining at Schalke. But we have to wait. Our last two games are the most important now."

Dutchman Van den Berg also said, "In the summer I hope to take part in the U21 European Championship. Only then will it be decided where I will play in the coming season – it was similar in the past three years.

"At some moments it is difficult and stressful not to know in which country I will be living in a few months. You would like to settle down in one place.

"If one day my home club Liverpool would tell me I could stay and get my caps that would be great, but now I'm at Schalke and I want the team to achieve our goal of staying up. After the end of the season, I will be back in Liverpool to talk about the near future."[/article]

[article]Sepp van den Berg admits he'll discuss his future at Liverpool this summer.

The defender has spent this season on-loan with Schalke.

"I get messages regularly," the 21-year-old said to WAZ. "There were especially many after the games against Bremen and Mainz. Assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders also congratulated me. But I'm not in daily contact with Liverpool officials now.

"I'm a family guy and at Schalke I was immediately welcomed as a member of the family. That made me feel at home very quickly. I get along with everyone here. I also fit in well here in terms of gameplay, and I want to prove that again in the last two league games.

"There have already been initial talks with those responsible about remaining at Schalke. But we have to wait. Our last two games are the most important now."

Dutchman Van den Berg also said, "In the summer I hope to take part in the U21 European Championship. Only then will it be decided where I will play in the coming season – it was similar in the past three years.

"At some moments it is difficult and stressful not to know in which country I will be living in a few months. You would like to settle down in one place.

"If one day my home club Liverpool would tell me I could stay and get my caps that would be great, but now I'm at Schalke and I want the team to achieve our goal of staying up. After the end of the season, I will be back in Liverpool to talk about the near future."[/article]

Really hope we give this guy a chance next season. He could be the RB/RCB backup in place of Jurrien Timber, and save us considerable funds, which we could use on a LB/LCB instead. He's tall, rapid and most importantly Dutch so shouldn't have a problem integrating into our structure

Really hope we give this guy a chance next season. He could be the RB/RCB backup in place of Jurrien Timber, and save us considerable funds, which we could use on a LB/LCB instead. He's tall, rapid and most importantly Dutch so shouldn't have a problem integrating into our structure

It's a pity this season was "wasted" due to the injury he suffered. If this season was similar to the previous one at Preston, he would have definitely made further progress. I think he qualifies for home grown status too/soon?

It's a pity this season was "wasted" due to the injury he suffered. If this season was similar to the previous one at Preston, he would have definitely made further progress. I think he qualifies for home grown status too/soon?

He does as soon as he can’t be registered as an U21.

[article]Whilst frustrated with the ending of his loan spell with Bolton Wanderers in the Play-Off defeat at Barnsley, Conor Bradley says he has nothing but incredible memories to look back on from his time as a White.

With over 50 appearances and a list of personal honours at our End of Season awards in a breakout season for the Liverpool loanee throughout the 2022/23 campaign, it’s safe to say he has left his mark at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Speaking a few days after the 1-0 defeat at Barnsley, the Northern Ireland international was sad in how his time with Wanderers ended at Oakwell.

“I was heartbroken,” he said.

“It was disappointing for it to end that way but I feel like we could have played better in both games – and everybody would probably say the same, both individually and collectively.

“The thing that has been biting away at me over the weekend is that if we were at our best, then what would have happened? But we can’t have regrets, we tried everything we could have, and it just didn’t click for us.

“It’s been a great season and I’ve enjoyed every minute.”

The full-time scenes at Oakwell were incredible, as the travelling Wanderers fans were unwavering in their support of Ian Evatt’s side – staying behind show their magnificent support after a fantastic season for the Football Club.

With his name being chanted from the away end, and his loan spell at Wanderers coming to an end, Conor’s emotions came to the fore at Oakwell.

“It just happened,” he said.

“Everyone knows how much I’ve loved playing for Bolton, and seeing all the fans chanting for us after the game after we hadn’t played that well, and then to hear them singing my name was mental – and just made me tear up a little bit.

"Before I came here, I couldn’t have dreamed of what has happened this year – getting in the Play-offs, winning the cup at Wembley etc. There’s been some incredible moments and it’s been a great year.”

Bradley returns to Liverpool ahead of pre-season for the 2023/24 campaign, but says Bolton Wanderers will always hold a special place with him, and hopes the Club can continue their progression both on and off the field.

“I’m thankful to all the staff for their hard work with me,” he said.

“I feel like I have improved both as a person and player massively and hopefully that can do me well for the rest of my career.

“I’ll be a supporter of the Club now and will keep an eye on all of the results, and hopefully they can get back to the Championship.”

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom