• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let's try something different

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
----------------Alisson------------------
---Fabinho---Matip----Gomez------
Trent----------------------------Robbo
----------Bajcetic---Thiago-----------
----Salah-------------------Gakpo----
----------------Darwin------------------

Why?

1. Fabinho needs rehabilitating. With him losing mobility and seemingly all confidence, a new position can offer a potential route back to form. He has played RB earlier in his career and successfully covered at CB for us; it's a natural trajectory for DMs losing their physical edge to transition to defence – if Fernandinho did it, why not Fabinho? Next season when he recovers his confidence and hopefully has more mobile midfield partners next to him, we can try him at DM again, but for now we either have to bench one of our key (and most expensive) senior players for the rest of the campaign because his performances in midfield simply don't warrant him playing or try to reinvigorate him in a new position and system.
  2. I also thought about Trent in midfield – anything goes at this point. But on consideration it would be a bad move to make at this juncture; we need some stability and consistency in the structure, not chaos and inevitable mistakes that will come with such as move. Switching to 3 at the back will free Trent from defensive responsibilities, he will finally have someone to cover in the space behind him in Fabinho and will hopefully be able to contribute much more in attacking sense for the rest of the season.
  3. With only 2 central midfielders required, we won't have a problem filling this position until the potential summer reinforcements. Furthermore, playing in a double-pivot is a lot easier and less taxing – you're not trying to play expansively, just hold your position next to your partner and shield the defence. Bajcetic and Thiago would be my current pick on form, but I could see Keita-Bajcetic or Thiago-Henderson and lots of other combinations.
  4. In attack, this system keeps our forwards more central which should suit everyone. Gakpo can play in the spaces he likes, drifting between the wing and half-spaces on the left, Salah similarly on the right and Darwin will spearhead the system, occasionally swapping with Gakpo. The two "#10" roles also give Elliott and Carvalho a chance to compete for playing time in roles they are actually natural fit for and it will be easy to incorporate Jota and Diaz in this system once they return.
  5. The downside of the switch to 3 at the back is that we essentially give up on trying to win games by dominating and pressing all over the pitch, the way Klopp likes it. We accept our limitations and try to survive until the big changes in the summer. I think it's the right and pragmatic thing to do at this point, because all evidence suggests that we cannot hope to win games in the old way. Konate's injury further exacerbates the situation as even the limited defensive improvement provided by the Bajcetic-Keita-Thiago trio in midfield probably won't be enough to prevent us from shipping lots of goals if it's Gomez and Matip rather than Konate mopping up in behind. There is no other rational choice but changing the system at this point.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to have Gomez as the central CB, as his pace going forward and coming back can make up for his positional issues. Fab and matip can hopefully cover for his brain farts

I like it, but it would never happen. The man in your avatar would never allow it.

-----------Bajcetic---Thiago----------

Why?

1. Fabinho needs rehabilitating. With him losing mobility and seemingly all confidence, a new position can offer a potential route back to form. He has played RB earlier in his career and successfully covered at CB for us; it's a natural trajectory for DMs losing their physical edge to transition to defence – if Fernandinho did it, why not Fabinho? Next season when he recovers his confidence and we have more mobile midfield partners to offer, we can try him at DM again, but for now we either have to bench one of our key (and most expensive) senior players for the rest of the campaign because his performances in midfield simply don't warrant him playing or try to reinvigorate him in a new position and system.
  2. I also thought about Trent in midfield – anything goes at this point. But I think it would be a bad move to make at this point; we need some stability and consistency in the structure, not chaos and inevitable mistakes that will come with such as move. Switching to 3 at the back will free Trent from defensive responsibilities, he will finally have someone to cover in the space behind him in Fabinho and will hopefully be able to contribute much more in attacking sense for the rest of the season.
  3. With 3 central midfielders, we won't have a problem filling this position until the potential summer reinforcements. Furthermore, playing in a double-pivot is a lot easier and less taxing – you're not trying to dominate a midfield battle, just hold your position next to your partner and shield your defence. Bajcetic and Thiago would be my current pick on form, but I could see Keita-Bajcetic or Thiago-Henderson and lots of other combinations.
  4. In attack, this system keeps our forwards more central which should suit everyone. Gakpo can play in the spaces he likes, drifting between the wing and half-spaces on the left, Salah similarly on the right and Darwin can spearhead the system, occasionally swapping with Gakpo on the left. The two "#10" roles also give Elliott and Carvalho a chance to compete for playing time in roles they are actually natural fit for and it will be easy to incorporate Jota and Diaz in this system once they return.
  5. The downside of the switch to 3 at the back is that we essentially give up on trying to win games by dominating and pressing all over the pitch, the way Klopp likes it. We accept our limitations and try to survive until the big changes in the summer. I think it's the right and pragmatic thing to do at this point, because all evidence suggests that we cannot hope to win games in the old way. Konate's injury further exacerbates the situation as even the limited defensive improvement provided by the Bajtetic-Keita-Thiago trio in midfield probably won't be enough to prevent us from shipping lots of goals if it's Gomez and Matip rather than Konate mopping up in behind. There is no other rational choice but changing the system at this point.
For what ever reason Klopp will play with the same format as he did against Brighton. I'd be interested to see how Bobby Clark does, he can't be any worse than CJ?

I'd be tempted to have Gomez as the central CB, as his pace going forward and coming back can make up for his positional issues. Fab and matip can hopefully cover for his brain farts

I think in a back 3, the most intelligent (and possibly the slowest) defender usually plays as the middle one. Gomez is slightly less shit in a LCB than on the right; perhaps he would be even better in a 3.

fwiw I think it's finally time for the Trent in midfield experiment. What could possibly go wrong? Perfect opportunity to blood wee Ramsay too.

3 at the back has been the logical move for months now given our weakness in the middle and fullback positions but Klopp not interested.

Hard to see him go for it now that we're down to the barebones at the back.

I'd love to see it though. Fabinho at the back is a good idea too.

What tiger?

That's clearly an unshaven German gentleman in your avatar with a fake tan, who has just witnessed Salah miss another glorious opportunity.

Interesting choice to have Antonio Conte as your avatar though!

Would love to test it. But doubt Klopp will do it.
Needs to do something though.

----------Bajcetic---Thiago-----------

Why?

1. Fabinho needs rehabilitating. With him losing mobility and seemingly all confidence, a new position can offer a potential route back to form. He has played RB earlier in his career and successfully covered at CB for us; it's a natural trajectory for DMs losing their physical edge to transition to defence – if Fernandinho did it, why not Fabinho? Next season when he recovers his confidence and hopefully has more mobile midfield partners next to him, we can try him at DM again, but for now we either have to bench one of our key (and most expensive) senior players for the rest of the campaign because his performances in midfield simply don't warrant him playing or try to reinvigorate him in a new position and system.
  2. I also thought about Trent in midfield – anything goes at this point. But on consideration it would be a bad move to make at this juncture; we need some stability and consistency in the structure, not chaos and inevitable mistakes that will come with such as move. Switching to 3 at the back will free Trent from defensive responsibilities, he will finally have someone to cover in the space behind him in Fabinho and will hopefully be able to contribute much more in attacking sense for the rest of the season.
  3. With only 2 central midfielders required, we won't have a problem filling this position until the potential summer reinforcements. Furthermore, playing in a double-pivot is a lot easier and less taxing – you're not trying to play expansively, just hold your position next to your partner and shield the defence. Bajcetic and Thiago would be my current pick on form, but I could see Keita-Bajcetic or Thiago-Henderson and lots of other combinations.
  4. In attack, this system keeps our forwards more central which should suit everyone. Gakpo can play in the spaces he likes, drifting between the wing and half-spaces on the left, Salah similarly on the right and Darwin will spearhead the system, occasionally swapping with Gakpo. The two "#10" roles also give Elliott and Carvalho a chance to compete for playing time in roles they are actually natural fit for and it will be easy to incorporate Jota and Diaz in this system once they return.
  5. The downside of the switch to 3 at the back is that we essentially give up on trying to win games by dominating and pressing all over the pitch, the way Klopp likes it. We accept our limitations and try to survive until the big changes in the summer. I think it's the right and pragmatic thing to do at this point, because all evidence suggests that we cannot hope to win games in the old way. Konate's injury further exacerbates the situation as even the limited defensive improvement provided by the Bajcetic-Keita-Thiago trio in midfield probably won't be enough to prevent us from shipping lots of goals if it's Gomez and Matip rather than Konate mopping up in behind. There is no other rational choice but changing the system at this point.
I'd prefer Darwin left and Gakpo through the centre but withdrawn. Adds to the midfield and allows him to play to his strengths whilst also setting up both Nunez and Salah to run in behind.

It would make more sense to just play a low block 4-4-2 to protect the back 4 better and give us some defensive shape.

3-1-4-2 like this formation Nagelsmann put out today?

Untitled.jpg

3-1-4-2 like this formation Nagelsmann put out today?

View attachment 2532

I don't think that's actually the formation Bayern are playing. Chupo-Moting is a lone striker.

Besides, all Bayern tactics in domestic competitions reflect their expected dominance against vastly inferior opposition – it would not work in the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom