• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I didn't post for a few days because I felt I was getting frustrated with the endless circular transfer/FSG debates, but now there is some actual footy to look forward to in a few days. And what a game it is! I have a few fuzzy memories of the late 90's Leeds team with Viduka, Kewell and others playing in the Champions League, but most of my time as a football fan went without giving them much thought, until now. I want to know what everyone else thinks of Leeds to help me understand things I might not know as a non-local. I know their biggest rivalry is with Man United, which goes as far back as the War of the Roses, so is it the case of enemy of my enemy is my friend? Or do LFC fans hate Leeds too, like everybody else? Does anyone have any stories to share?

In any case, as a football fan I think it's exciting to see a team with proper history rise back to relevance. Leeds seems to possess similar type of "magic" as Liverpool (although perhaps on a smaller scale) with a unique football culture and connection to the fans and the city that when harnessed can create something more than the sum of its parts. Bielsa has fully tapped into that just like Klopp tapped into Liverpool's and that marriage of a great but volatile tactical mind and a passionate fanbase is really fun to watch and experience – and perhaps can be viewed as an antidote to the soulless corporatized football seen elsewhere.

The video above has a few shots of a very young James Milner looking forlorn as he couldn't prevent Leeds from being relegated. I hope he gets at least a few minutes in this game to bring the story full circle.

Last edited:
My earliest memory of Leeds as a kid is watching Leeds v Chelsea and thinking these two were the biggest bunch of cheating, thuggish cunts ever.

Thought they were were the media darlings under O Leary and was ecstatic when they went down.

Since then I've developed a bit of a soft spot for them. Spygate was entertaining, and the Aston Villa gift goal impressed me. I'm glad they're finally back.

However, to truly bring the story full circle it would be nice if they could break the legs of Werner and Havertz, just for old times sake.

I live near Leeds, they're a bunch of deluded knobheads. I don't know a sensible Leeds fan, they all have aspirations..... probably better defined as demands or expectations way above their station.

Never really had a problem with Leeds. They're a proper Premier League club and I don't think I've ever met Leeds fan. Think I missed the era of them being utter cunts, too.

I liked the Leeds team few seasons before they were relegated
Kewell, Viduka, Harte, Smith, Keane etc etc I didn't have the vociferous hate towards them until Viduka scored 4 against us.

Never really had a problem with Leeds. They're a proper Premier League club and I don't think I've ever met Leeds fan. Think I missed the era of them being utter cunts, too.
Yeah same. Aside from the Revie era which I missed I remember Leeds as generally being a proper prem side

And they have more of a ground and fanbase than Bournemouth or Norwich

There was huge rivalry between the clubs in the 70’s and Leeds were dirty scum and we traded titles.

I loved Yeboah but hated that fucking goal, really killed the buzz around Collymore after our opening day win in 95/96.

They hate Utd so hopefully they can give them two tough games.

Any win will do on the first day back defending the title.

They haven’t really strengthened so we should win this but fuck knows.

When I was growing up in the 1980s Leeds were in the second division and I couldn't really care less about them.

After they got promoted it coincided with us starting to become shit and they stopped United winning the title, so I quite liked them for that.

As they were one-season wonders in that respect, we then tended to do pretty well against them anyway and so I still didn't really have an issue with them.

They were a bit smug and annoying when O'Leary was there, so it was fairly satisfying when the full extent of their financial incompetence became clear and they went down. But I don't think I ever hated them in the same way as I hate other teams.

The Yeboah goal game was the first ever game I watched. Weird memories - i kinda got told when I was 5/6 years old that I supported Liverpool by my Uncle. It wasn't a big thing at that point, other than the odd basic kick about with some neighbours who were big footy fans. They once came over to use our sky box and watch a Bolton game - i remember it being weird and we just all left them to it.

Few weeks later they came over to watch Liverpool and did it to try and show me football. The weird thing I remember is that I ended thinking the game was 4-1 to Leeds. What I didn't know at the time was that I was watching replays of the goal, and I presume there was a disallowed goal or something.

Very vague memories of the whole thing other than a debrief with my uncle on the phone where I was disappointed that "they scored lots against us" haha

There was huge rivalry between the clubs in the 70’s and Leeds were dirty scum and we traded titles.

I loved Yeboah but hated that fucking goal, really killed the buzz around Collymore after our opening day win in 95/96.

They hate Utd so hopefully they can give them two tough games.

Any win will do on the first day back defending the title.

They haven’t really strengthened so we should win this but fuck knows.
We "traded titles" in the 70s - we won 5, while they got 1 ... hardly a fair trade, that

I studied at Leeds. Went to Elland Road several times - always wanting the opposition to win, but very careful - stood among the Leeds fans - not to make that evident.
I did like having Leeds in the top division though. They hate Man Utd and always took points off them.

I was in Leeds once back in the early 80s for a student demo of some sort. Got talking to some fellas in the pub who told us about Leeds fans playing noughts & crosses on people's backs with a stanley knife.

The van at the front of the demo played the whoile of "London Calling", though, which improved the day no end, but then they marched us out of town to some field in the middle of nowhere, and one of the guest speakers (a NUM steward) sarcastically commented "they say on a good day, you can see the class struggle from here"

Not been back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom