• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Interesting Head Coaches/Managers

Untitled
Untitled2
In 109 appearances each in the competition under Nuno, Neves and Moutinho had 28 and 24 touches inside the penalty box, respectively. Mario Lemina, the senior man in Wolves' current two-man midfield, has eclipsed that tally in just 20 games under O'Neil.

Wolves get players into the box now.
There was no great reason to expect Lemina to be making a move beyond the last line of defence deep into stoppage time against Spurs in November. But the fact that he made that run allowed him to score the winner.

Against Chelsea, it was Rayan Ait-Nouri making a run across the front post to latch onto Pedro Neto's cross and put Wolves in front for the first time. Players inside the box have transformed an attack that most assumed could not score the goals required.

After Wolves blanked in that opener against United despite having more shots than any away side in a Premier League game at Old Trafford in over a decade, this reporter asked O'Neil whether he really believed these players could deliver in front of goal.

"If we have 23 shots every game and still have not scored, then I will be concerned,"
he replied. "At this moment, I see players of real quality, players who are capable. My job is to keep getting them to arrive. My job is to work with them on being more clinical."

At the start of September, upon losing away to Crystal Palace, there was still more than a little scepticism when O'Neil said: "We had 60 final-third entries, which is a lot for an away game, and more than Palace." But he was right. And the goals soon did begin to flow.

The potent trio of Matheus Cunha, Pedro Neto and Hee-Chan Hwang, currently away on Asian Cup duty with South Korea, have defied the doubters. "I would bet that all of them are pretty close to their best at the moment, returns-wise," says O'Neil. And he is right.

This is already the best scoring season of Cunha's career. Hwang has doubled his previous-best total in a major European league. Pedro Neto ranks third in the Premier League for assists. He has eight of them so far, despite missing two months due to injury.

Another midfielder who seems to be turning into a fine manager.

View: https://twitter.com/IFTVofficial/status/1754132764977230144

View: https://twitter.com/BarcaUniversal/status/1755118695523684582

View: https://twitter.com/itsgabe20/status/1756683066330726590

Untitled.jpg

Yokohama F. Marinos offers Kewell a great opportunity to raise his managerial stakes. Their style of play under Postecoglou and Muscats was pretty attractive - and "helped" Postecoglou land his move to Celtic. Having said that, Kewell's managerial record till date is pretty meh.

View: https://twitter.com/OptusSport/status/1761995005420265517

1708927812720.png

Harry Kewell has continued his unbeaten start as manager of Japanese club Yokohama F. Marinos.

Former Socceroos star Kewell, who took over at Marinos from Muscat, guided his Yokohama team to a last-gasp 2-1 away win over Tokyo Verdy in the weekend’s opening round of the J1 League season.

It was Kewell’s third game in charge of Marinos, with the former Celtic assistant coach also having led his new club to the AFC Champions League quarter-finals after beating Thai club Bangkok United 3-2 on aggregate over two legs in the competition’s round-of-16 stage.

Marinos drew 2-2 in Bangkok before winning the return leg 1-0 at home.

Sebastian Hoeneß

View: https://twitter.com/OptaFranz/status/1769082867844333635

View: https://twitter.com/FotMob/status/1770451122815136024

Close to a year ago, Die Schwaben ended their season with a 1-1 draw against Hoffenheim, ensuring they’d finish in the relegation playoff place, having to beat Hamburg to secure their top-flight place for another year. Another season previous, 21/22, they avoided the same fate only on goal difference after a stoppage-time Wataru Endo winner on the final day.

Fast forward to the current campaign and while one thing is the same, everything else is different: Hoffenheim were again their most recent opponents, this time heading into the international break, but a 3-0 victory away from home was both expected and in keeping with the form book – and kept Stuttgart flying high in third position.

Hoeness has his team well-rounded and superbly organised. They can dominate games, but also have a terrific defensive record. With just 1.2 goals conceded per game and a total xG of 56.8, they are second in the Bundesliga in both categories at either end of the pitch.

They are also third for average possession (60%), second for big chances created (99) and third for possession won in the final third (5.7 per game).

The twin attack of Serhou Guirassy and Deniz Undav have 43 goals or assists between them
. Only Harry Kane beats Guirassy this term for that metric, but it’s the Stuttgart man who actually has the better goals per 90 rate (1.32 vs 1.21), even as both wildly outperform their xG for the season. In the other half of the pitch, Maximilian Mittelstaedt is top three in the league for both successful tackles and interceptions on a per 90 basis.

View: https://twitter.com/GGFN_/status/1768699991428677936

Under Hoeneß, Stuttgart has established themselves as one of the best coached clubs in the Bundesliga. Millot, who has played 38 games under the German, said: “He has helped to build our confidence as a group. He knows football very well. He’s a great coach.

“He has build our confidence a lot. He also communicates a lot with the younger players. We are a young squad. He gives us a lot of advice. He is very good at the little things like that. He is calm and he is very sure of who he is and what he is doing.”

Right now, it really does feel as though Stuttgart are creating something special. They’re making all the right moves both on and off of the pitch. Discussing VfB’s situation, Millot added: “I hope it is the start of a new era. I hope that success will last for many years and this is the start of a new era.”

We can remove Emery from the shortlist - He's signing an extension to his Villa contract per The Athletic

Kuyt led Beerschot to promotion with Belgium 2nd Division title, having joined them at the end of last year.

View: https://twitter.com/ProLeagueBE/status/1779237774874268071

View: https://twitter.com/TotalAnalysis/status/1778513349547843859

"Since Kuyt was appointed, he has tended to set his side up in a 3-4-3 starting formation, which usually shifts to some variation of a back five when they are forced to drop back and defend against opposition attacks. "

" While Kuyt’s side does look to play long initially from goal kicks at times, their most common route of ball progression is building from the back, emphasising verticality and forward movement off the ball to open gaps in advanced areas. The shape tends to turn into a 3-2-5, with the five furthest forward-looking to roam and find pockets of space in the midfield. "

Kuyt led Beerschot to promotion with Belgium 2nd Division title, having joined them at the end of last year.

View: https://twitter.com/ProLeagueBE/status/1779237774874268071

View: https://twitter.com/TotalAnalysis/status/1778513349547843859

"Since Kuyt was appointed, he has tended to set his side up in a 3-4-3 starting formation, which usually shifts to some variation of a back five when they are forced to drop back and defend against opposition attacks. "

" While Kuyt’s side does look to play long initially from goal kicks at times, their most common route of ball progression is building from the back, emphasising verticality and forward movement off the ball to open gaps in advanced areas. The shape tends to turn into a 3-2-5, with the five furthest forward-looking to roam and find pockets of space in the midfield. "

A beer shot sounds like an anticlimax. Even a schooner isn’t enough.

His English is pretty good

[article]"Here, there are no miracles," Andoni Iraola tells Sky Sports with a smile. But what the Rayo Vallecano manager has achieved during his three seasons in charge of one of LaLiga's smallest clubs, on a budget dwarfed by those of their rivals, can't be too far off.

Rayo, with their crumbling, three-stand stadium squeezed up against tower blocks in a residential corner of Madrid, were stuck in the second tier two years ago. Now, they are fighting to qualify for Europe for only the second time in their 99-year history.

Barcelona have been beaten - not once but three times - and so have Real Madrid. It is some going for a side promoted via the play-offs as the sixth-best in Segunda. Especially when you consider all but two of their starters this season were part of that team.

Rayo have only paid transfer fees for six players in three years under Iraola and those fees average just £2m. There have been loans and free-agent signings - Radamel Falcao among them - but otherwise the manager has worked happily with what he had.

"I think I have been lucky because I have found a group of players willing to achieve big things since my first day here," adds Iraola, speaking over Zoom from the club's training ground.

"In the end, the players have the level they are showing. It is true that it is difficult to show it every single week and maintain it against opponents who, market-wise, probably have more value. But we are showing we have players who can play against the better teams."

They have the manager too. Iraola's work at Rayo has earned him a reputation as one of Spain's best and most exciting coaches. In February, long before they turned to Sam Allardyce, Leeds United tried to appoint the 40-year-old as Jesse Marsch's replacement.

"I was really pleased that they thought of me as an option to coach there," says Iraola. "I talked to Rayo Vallecano, who obviously were the ones who had to make the decision, and I understood also that Rayo wanted to continue with me."

The club's hierarchy ultimately dug their heels in, determined not to lose him in the middle of the season, and Iraola made no attempt to force the issue. Was there, though, any sense of frustration on his part that the timing did not line up?

Iraola shrugs. "You cannot think in things that could have happened," he says. "It was what it was.

"I think it was a very open decision. We talked to the club, and Leeds were also very open with Rayo Vallecano. We talked for one day, 'OK, it's not the moment, it's over.' It is nothing more than that.

"I am very pleased that they thought of me as an option, but I am also very happy here working for Rayo Vallecano. I hope they finish the season well, but right now we are doing well, so we are not thinking too much about that."

It remains to be seen whether Leeds will come back in for him at the end of the season. There is the small matter of Premier League survival to worry about first. But Iraola, despite his admiration for English football, is not thinking that far ahead anyway - even if his contract at Rayo is due to expire in June.

"I think that, right now, the Premier League is probably the top league, because in the end it's about budget, about money, and right now they are by far the richest league. But I don't know if later I will have the chance I want [to manage there].

"As managers, we can't make long-term plans. OK, you are doing well now, so you have options. But, probably, you will start losing games, and those options will start to disappear.

"We have to think short-term. I have to think about the next training session, the next game, about my things here in Rayo Vallecano, and then let's see what happens.

"It doesn't make sense to think from here to three, four or five years. If I am doing things well, probably I will have the option someday [to go to the Premier League]. But if things don't go well, probably I will have to think in other options.

"You just have to think in the present - and my present is really good. I'm really happy with the club, with the players I am coaching, and I am still in this learning process. That is where I am focused."

The links with Leeds were tantalising for the club's fans given Iraola's history with Marcelo Bielsa. The former right-back played under him for two years during his time in charge of Athletic Club Bilbao and counts the former Whites boss, who has just been named Uruguay's new head coach, as one of his biggest influences.

"I was very lucky to play for him for two seasons as a player," says Iraola. "I think he has another vision of football. They were two very good seasons for us, and, for me, it was a different knowledge.

"I use a lot of exercises from Marcelo that I learned from him. I use a lot of things, especially with the ball. Offensively, his teams are very dynamic. He is willing to make all the runs to the space, he is ready to accept this kind of disorder, offensively."

Iraola now places that offensive "disorder" at the heart of his own philosophy. Like those of Bielsa, his Rayo players are drilled to tear into opponents as quickly and directly as possible.

Ander Murillo, his friend, former team-mate and sporting director of AEK Larnaca, the Cypriot club where Iraola took his first senior job in management, describes his football as "rock and roll". It is a description which brings a chuckle from Iraola but it fits.

"It is true that we like, and we perform better, in high-tempo games," says Iraola. "We need to run a lot. We don't need so much control, not in every single play, but I think we have the legs, we have the willingness, to go up and down."

It is pointed out that Rayo can play, too. Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti talked up their "beautiful football" earlier this season and the statistics put them eighth in LaLiga in terms of possession.

"It is not something we are trying to find because I think are much better without the ball," says Iraola. "We are recovering and regaining possession very high and that is why we have so much time on the ball, but it is not something we like.

"I think we have to take risks when we regain. I don't like this 'security pass', as they say, to play with the 'keeper, to start building from the back. You have to do it sometimes, but it is not what identifies us. We are dangerous in fast attacks, when we recover possession as high as we can.

"I think we can find more goals that way than building from the back. Sometimes we score starting from the 'keeper, with a lot of passes, but the amount you score like this is a lot lower."

Iraola still regards the season he spent honing his knowledge of that side of the game under Patrick Vieira at New York City FC as a crucial step on his path into management. "He is a very, very good coach and he showed me another point of view," he says.

But his preference was always for full-throttle football and that can now be seen in the ferociousness of Rayo's pressing.
skysports-rayo-vallecano-andoni-iraola_6157439.png

According to Opta, they rank top in LaLiga for high turnovers leading to shots this season and third behind Real Sociedad and Barcelona in terms of PPDA, which measures the average number of opposition passes a team allows per defensive action.

Iraola's approach differs from Bielsa's in that he does not use a man-to-man marking system. "We try to press high, to be aggressive without the ball, but with a different kind of structure."

He is, however, similarly demanding in terms of what he expects from his players out of possession. "I think you have to be demanding," he says. "Marcelo was really demanding with the players. It is the only way to achieve big goals and explore your limits."

At Rayo, one of Spain's last 'neighbourhood clubs', centred in the traditionally working-class and fiercely anti-establishment district of Vallecas, it is also a means of connecting with supporters.

"We represent a neighbourhood that likes to play this way," says Iraola. "It is kind of the identity that Rayo fans have. They are a lot of hard-workers. They love to feel this identification on the pitch and it is what they demand of the players. It is what we have to give them."

The synergy makes for a special atmosphere inside their 14,708-capacity home and Iraola regards chemistry and togetherness as crucial too. His enduring trust in the players who earned Rayo promotion draws further parallels with Bielsa at Leeds.

"Chemistry is key to pass through difficult periods, to continue pushing, to think more collectively," he explains. "We have experienced what it is to play in the second division - a difficult, difficult division, so we want to continue playing against best teams in the world.

"To do that, we have to prove it every single week. It is not, 'OK, last week, we did a very good game, now we can rest.' No. You have to prove it in every single training session, in every single season.

"That is what this group of players are doing."

And, as impressive as it may be, Andoni Iraola - Leeds United's one who got away - will be first to tell you that it is no miracle.

This article was first published on May 17, 2023
[/article]

View: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/status/1784599703847649455

View: https://twitter.com/DougieCritchley/status/1784616736982958447

View: https://twitter.com/KirkTovey/status/1784598378883527046
Untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom