• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How much does a worldy cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farkmaster

Part of the Furniture
I was thinking about Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain... now, you could probably do all sorts of statistical analysis to figure out whether he's been a worthy purchase or not, taking into account his injuries blah blah blah.

But that's not how it actually works in my head. When he scored his second goal today, and THAT goal against city, that is some return on investment. And, as irrational as it is, I think he's already repaid half of his fee.

It's this sort of primitive thinking that saw me have all sorts of time for Garcia, who some idiots thought wasn't productive enough, or was wasteful, or I don't know really, I try to keep poisonous influences out of my life. Even at the end when he was not doing much with regularity, I still had time for him. I think his header against anderlecht is the best header of all time. Throw in juve and that's most of his fee right there. Some of what sits with us is entirely results-based, the rest is just a series of moments that have their own value.

But of course it's not always about the goal itself, but the appetite for it. Benteke's bicycle kick was fantastic, but I'd rate it at a cool million, because Crouch played it out. But when Can did it? Similarly Coutinho was the best outside the box curler we've had, but if you've seen one of his goals, you've seen 10 of them. Like Coutinho in general, there's value in selling once you've had your fill.

Oxlade's second goal yesterday is probably around 5 million for me, because it was completely unexpected. It's not just that wing play goals are always on the menu right now, and we clearly need something from midfield. It was completely unexpected. The last time I saw a goal like that was Gerrard.

So yeah, a couple more like that and I'm fine with Ox, honestly. I'm a simple man.

Whilst I completely get your point (honestly I do) I'd say that's it's the bread n butter and not the highlights that make a player worth whatever it is he's worth.

That Ox goal will go down as one of the very best goals in LFC's or even the CL's history. It was glorious, Van Persie couldn't stop eulogising Ox after seeing it. But it won't define whether Ox is a success here or not, and in the end that is what will decide if he was value for money.

There was some twitter feud about keita performing better than Ox against genk

Apparently Keita's performance wins you titles whereas ox's wins you matches

I thought they're both shite outside of a frankly world class finish from ox but if he keeps banging them in from 20 yards out he's just fine in my books

The fact he scored the worldie canceled out the fact he lost the ball probably 3/4 times and thought about chasing back after it before cantering about which was infuriating to the nth degree

I thought they're both shite outside of a frankly world class finish from ox but if he keeps banging them in from 20 yards out he's just fine in my books

The fact he scored the worldie canceled out the fact he lost the ball probably 3/4 times and thought about chasing back after it before cantering about which was infuriating to the nth degree
Damn you're a hard one to please. Keita had superb figures for the match and Ox banged in two goals. When Salah has a poor game but scores it's all forgiven but Ox scores two and is infuriating! ;)

Whilst I completely get your point (honestly I do) I'd say that's it's the bread n butter and not the highlights that make a player worth whatever it is he's worth.

No one is watching a compilation of sensible passes right now, though.

By this rational Adrian would have been worth 50m if we end up winning the league.

I am not sure where you come from as it seem you were actually satisfied with the Coutinho goals so no more need for them? But isn't the capability to reproduce a sign of a worldie? People knew what he wanted to do, but still he managed to find the space and openings he needed. I appreciate Ox's wondergoal and I loved Garcia. But just down to two goals? Nah, I loved Garcia cause he was capable of serving us the unexpected, just as Firmino is. You will see world class glimpses, be entertained by pure brilliance as well as see players who are capable of doing the basics and work their socks off.

When it comes to repaying, Ox is very far away for me yet. He comes with higher ambitions than scoring a wondergoal and the club has ambitions that he can be a driving force in the years to come. He has to deliver a lot more before he has repaid that. He has to be involved in more, but I believe he can do that.

I think loads of you are missing farkys point.

I think he's saying that a player who can give you a special moment, with a remarkable goal, should be worth the fee paid, or at least some of that, simply because of the joy that brings.

Sure, in analytical terms, those goals & games that are all hard work, where we dog teams into making mistakes & bundle the ball into the net so we can win when we're maybe not at our best, at what usually ends up making us challenge for things or win shiny things, but very often even the most effective league winning performance has a great many games where you don't get moments of sheer fun & joy, like a truly wonderful goal brings you.

I think he's saying that a player who can give you a special moment, with a remarkable goal, should be worth the fee paid, or at least some of that, simply because of the joy that brings.

Sure, in analytical terms, those goals & games that are all hard work, where we dog teams into making mistakes & bundle the ball into the net so we can win when we're maybe not at our best, at what usually ends up making us challenge for things or win shiny things, but very often even the most effective league winning performance has a great many games where you don't get moments of sheer fun & joy, like a truly wonderful goal brings you.

I see. Well, for me it doesn't work quite like that. It is not the pure magic of one goal that saves the legacy for me. Important goals doesn't have to be beautys even, they become magic just by timing, atmosphere and reaction. A ball hitting the net in the right moment is such a release of good energy that it is impossible to describe. Hence, Origis tap in from that corner will allways be a better goal for us than Ox's goal of the history in the same tournament. For me at least. The moment, the expectations and the sheer feeling in my body the whole day (allthough that day it was a sad and hopeless feeling for such long time).

By this rational Adrian would have been worth 50m if we end up winning the league.

he's done little to suggest he isn't worth £50m...

Clean sheets galore and a couple of saves and the saviour in penalty shootout, if your assessing value on form and not legacy or bias he should be worth a fair bit right now

It is often the case that, in order to win titles, you need to win matches

To me, it's a combination of consistency , uniqueness, and their emotional resonance that sparks joy.

Eg Salah is probably better than Mane, but when the team is playing badly you always get the feeling that it's Mane who is going to step up. (see, Eg Kiev final).

That's why players like Mane, Milner, VVD are worth a 100m to me...

Call me unromantic, but the most joyful moment for me in any game is the referee's final whistle when we've won.

Yep, that's it.

I'm not even saying they should be, I'm just saying I've realized that for me, they are.

And of course these moments are better on the way to a trophy, but you don't know that at the time.

he's done little to suggest he isn't worth £50m...

Clean sheets galore and a couple of saves and the saviour in penalty shootout, if your assessing value on form and not legacy or bias he should be worth a fair bit right now

Oh I agree, in terms of value he’s been amazing. He’s exceeding all expectations.

Thing is, and I'm not saying this applies to ox, but if you have players who bring you joyful moments worth massive fees in your opinion, but don't justify it with the simple things then you end up losing. And that ends up with misery. So would it be worth it to have oxs hypothetically World class goal in a 3-1 loss to the scum?

We can enjoy these moments and put great value to them so long as someone is covering their arse!

Thing is, and I'm not saying this applies to ox, but if you have players who bring you joyful moments worth massive fees in your opinion, but don't justify it with the simple things then you end up losing. And that ends up with misery. So would it be worth it to have oxs hypothetically World class goal in a 3-1 loss to the scum?

We can enjoy these moments and put great value to them so long as someone is covering their arse!

Is this really happening though? What players gave us various special class moments but somehow were a net negative.

The shit players are generally shit, is the thing.

No not saying its happening now, we're winning aren't we I'm sure we can put a list together from the past.....

How about Nick Barmby? Nigel Clough, Jamie Redknapp (controversial!) to start you off...

No not saying its happening now, we're winning aren't we I'm sure we can put a list together from the past.....

How about Nick Barmby? Nigel Clough, Jamie Redknapp (controversial!) to start you off...

You think one of our trophy winning club captains is in a discussion regarding whether their overall impact was positive or negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom