• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How good is this team?

I tell you what, we missed Henderson barking at everyone tonight. He’s legs were gone but he’d have risen everyone else around him. We miss that. VVD doesn’t do it from CB effectively.

Yeah, lets not try having a functioning pattern of play, let's just shit ourselves and give macca and trent the responsibility for gaining the opposition half via a knockdown. What was the quote about Gakpo? He doesn't want to jump on the train, he wants to push the train?

Nunez, Salah, Szobo, Trent. All four of them would rather jump on a train. I fully expect trent to jump on another train. I hope Salah does.

Let's beat a fucking shit team using casual passes with no tempo into long balls and secondballs, but now with yelly mcyelleyface as the secret sauce. Do you know how fucking depressing it is that we thought "nah, we can't pass through the mighty everton, that's not the ticket."

We were fucking shit, as usual, and so were they. Our whole way of playing has atrophied in the absence of any training. We'll never know what it was supposed to be. It's another managers problem now. Klopp shouldn't have had to rebuild a side like this. He should have rebuilt the side when we were fucking ace, but he couldn't.

Last edited:
It’s annoying as fuck that Utd can claim they broke us and ended Klopps final team.

The full and boring answer is that we have to wait and see how the new manager wants to set up, what style he wants to implement and how his back room team operate.

The talent is there, across the squad - even the Chaos Donkey.

I’m tired of hearing Dreamie’s bollicks about not having the squad to challenge on multiple fronts - we clearly do, I mean, everyone gets to register the same size of squad and as many kids as you want - how many fucking players does Dreamie want us to have?

You might have to question Klopp’s training regime - we get a lot of injuries and the players always look fucked by the end of the season. It’s been questioned before, maybe a change there will help - there’s been lots of talk about how we manage injured players - you have thought that a team including Thiago, Konate, Keita, Matip, Gomez, Curtis Jones, Jones would have had plenty of practice and gotten fixing players down to a fine art by now… but no… we just break everyone.

Maybe there’s another Red Bull shortage on Merseyside - who knows.

We’ll get to find out if Edwards is, in fact, the smartest guy in the room, or just another chancer who got lucky and talks a good game - but I don’t think we need wholesale changes and in fact, it might be better to lean into youth.

There are issues - how to make best use of Trent, at what point Mo, Virgil, Robbo & Ali get the heave-ho and what to do with the chaos donkey?

I think we might go all in on “brave” signings (ie younger players that aren’t quit at peak yet) while keeping the old core and replacing over a few seasons.

Calm the fuck down guys.

We are in a bad moment. The manager is leaving, the team is falling apart. The season is over

BUT. To say 90% of the squad is not good enough is crazy. We are THIRD, less than five points off the top.

These are all good players.

Diaz, Gakpo, Szobos, Mac Allister - all players that had a legitimate shout for POTY in previous seasons. All players with good mentality and discipline.

Bacjectic, Elliot, Quansah, Danns, Bradley- werent we praising them just a while back?

Trent is World Class. Did you not watch the Fulham game?

Maybe there's something wrong with the training or they aren't the profiles that this manager needs but there's definitely something that a good manager can work with.

To me, the main flaw that we currently have is too much emphasis on pressing/ chasing every fucking shit ball.

We need less emphasis on "intensity" and more on efficiency.

To me, the main flaw that we currently have is too much emphasis on pressing/ chasing every fucking shit ball.

We need less emphasis on "intensity" and more on efficiency.
We need less emphasis on second balls and pressing/defensive actions as a way of gaining the opponents third, and more playing football. We look so clueless when a team lets us pass it around the back. The movement is just not there off the ball. Szobo was utter fucking shit today in this respect.

Yeah I'm sure Klopp and Ljinders could actually design a new way of creating chances with some time, but at this stage - why would they??

This collapse feels exactly the same as Arsenal's last season. The season was over after CP. This is the time to chalk up straight forward wins and not huff and puff like we have in every game.

I don't think most of our players are experienced enough to handle a title challenge yet despite the miracles performed by Klopp. We overachieved earlier in the season, and the season is equalizing itself out.

I will sell Mo, Diaz, one of Jones / Grav, Tsimi and Robbo.

I will buy a LB, 2 CBs, a DM, a Midfielder and 2 Forwards. Of course it depends on how the new manager wants or is instructed to play.

Let's beat a fucking shit team using casual passes with no tempo into long balls and secondballs, but now with yelly mcyelleyface as the secret sauce. Do you know how fucking depressing it is that we thought "nah, we can't pass through the mighty everton, that's not the ticket."
It's been this way since about two and a half seasons ago when Klopp and co started indulging Trent's ambitions of cutting short his career as the world's best RB into a highlights reels friendly midfielder.

Great talent if a little hard to pin down, but shite vice captain. One who's happy for brittle Matip and Konate to carry the burden of an MIA RB, while Mo moves into the centre to be closer to the goalmouth action to accommodate his aging legs, while Harvey and Dom two elite attacking midfielders are shunted out onto the right performing a poor imitation of the wingback their vice captain was.

He does a good interview away from the pitch though.

For me, the least likeable member of this squad, and one of Klopp's blind spots I've never understood. The first puzzle the incoming manager has to solve.

The really stupid thing was to announce Klopp's departure midway through the season.

And to make things worse, we then rope in a TV crew and decide to make a few bob out of it.

Just when you think things couldn't get worse, we then go and top it off, by announcing we're interviewing Slot, a day before the derby. Imagine you're Klopp. What is he going to say during team talks now ?

Whoever is managing comms needs to be sacked.

I suspect Edwards and co are in this as well. Or perhaps there's a mutiny in the dressing room that we're not aware of. I don't know. But something just doesn't add up. And ever since Klopp wanted to leave in Jan, he's been behaving oddly too.

Meltdowns all over the place.

We have reserved our worst play of the entire season for the most important period. We are playing horribly. Whatever good play we put together we can't finish, and we will let anyone score against us, in the most preposterously shit ways.

Oh, and all this immediately leading into the most significant upheaval in the club in a decade.

Yeah, I guess it's fair to say I'm on edge.

Nothing compared to what is coming next season though.

We have reserved our worst play of the entire season for the most important period. We are playing horribly. Whatever good play we put together we can't finish, and we will let anyone score against us, in the most preposterously shit ways.

Oh, and all this immediately leading into the most significant upheaval in the club in a decade.

Yeah, I guess it's fair to say I'm on edge.

Nothing compared to what is coming next season though.
Certainly possible that we have a period of mediocrity coming up post the greatest manager we’ve had in 30 years.
I really Hope City are fucked off soon and stripped of all their success.

Personally I think you're over-thinking it.

What we've seen is what is to be expected from a team in transition (inconsistency + experimentation) added to which there have been other factors (mental fatigue from trying to match expectations in Klopp's last season) including the worst injury list by far compared to that of City and Arsenal and horrendous VAR decisions called out by all and sundry post games (Diaz, Odegaard and Doku-Mac).

These factors can not be dismissed out of hand (with all blame being put on the team) because clearly they would have made a massive difference to our standing (going our way it would have given us the points, and probably the confidence, to wrap it up) regardless of how poorly we've played this past month, in both attack and defence we seem to have just fallen off a cliff.

Going forward is a different discussion but in retrospect the above sums it up.

This forum needs to get a permanent counselor/therapist for the seasons to come. Because you're all gonna need one.

It'll be full meltdown every single day on here. Everyone will gradually become a loon.

This forum needs to get a permanent counselor/therapist for the seasons to come. Because you're all gonna need one.

It'll be full meltdown every single day on here. Everyone will gradually become a loon.
I’m fully prepared for a season of transition. The helpful thing is most of the league are total garbage. Villa may be the only side below us who are on the up. The rest seem to have no direction.

I’m fully prepared for a season of transition. The helpful thing is most of the league are total garbage. Villa may be the only side below us who are on the up. The rest seem to have no direction.
That was meant to be this season. Now it's 2 seasons. Gets to the end of next year "well trenta leaving, robbos legs have gone and van dijks getting worse. We'll buy a new backline and we'll just focus on this transition season"

I'm sick of fucking transition seasons

The hope is Edwards coming back in at least streamlines the transfers, and we're not just "YOLO"ing and throwing the dice on players like we seem to have been doing the last few years. We've got a mismatched age team so we need to be proactive on shifting players out and buying replacements.

The way I see it is we're going to be in some sort of transition for another eighteen months, which means we need to maintain a squad that can achieve top four whilst phasing our players who are out part of the the next three to four years. We should be open to offers for all players wrong side of thirty and have a credible list of replacements ready to go.

I do have some hope that many of our midfielders will look better still in a 4231 set up which Slott is meant to favour, but Nunez is not the man to lead that line. It blows my much we decided to spend so much on striker who cannot control the ball or finish chances. Benfica fans must still be laughing their tit's off. I'm hoping PSG drop interest in Diaz and instead for for Salah. As sad as it is, he needs to go.

As for how good are we now? Well, third feels about right. The worry is it's third with a manager of Klopps ability. Bring in a lesser experienced manager and the reality is we will likely be scraping for CL qualification in the coming years. We should have some faith that Edwards and Hughes can get this squad back where it needs to be.

That was meant to be this season. Now it's 2 seasons. Gets to the end of next year "well trenta leaving, robbos legs have gone and van dijks getting worse. We'll buy a new backline and we'll just focus on this transition season"

I'm sick of fucking transition seasons
That would’ve been the case had Klopp decided to stay. And not be as stubborn as a mule and mixed up his team selection a bit more.

The midfield overhaul must be completed by getting a DM. Endo back up.

Then we need to start on the defense, a CB and a LB.
Quansah is the new Matip, but Konate is a question mark for me VVD holds up another season.
RB is fine, Robbo to move to be back up for a new LB.

Replace Salah, sell Darwin. We will have to wait with Jota I think. Cannot do it all.

The really stupid thing was to announce Klopp's departure midway through the season.
Jesus Christ. It wasn't stupid at all, it was unlucky, FSG knew from the previous November and were trying to keep it hush hush but they learnt it had got out and the media was about to break it so they preempted it with the announcement. What did you expect them to do? Lie their asses off?

I actually think this team is and was the best in the league and should have found a way to be crowned champions. The pressure got to us, and I think the leadership on and off the pitch has dropped off and allowed levels in concentration to drop.

However I don't think we are or have been a bad team. In every game we've dropped points in.. every single one.. we have actually created the better chances and either missed by fine margins or just failed at the critical shooting moment. However as a team in almost every game this season we have made more and better chances than the opposition.

There is a lack of killer instinct from the players we need it from. But up until a month ago I was and would argue with anyone who felt we didn't deserve to be top. We did, easily.

Jesus Christ. It wasn't stupid at all, it was unlucky, FSG knew from the previous November and were trying to keep it hush hush but they learnt it had got out and the media was about to break it so they preempted it with the announcement. What did you expect them to do? Lie their asses off?
Klopp shouldn’t have told the players so early in the season. He should’ve waited.

So something obviously happened that forced his hand. I think a lot of us wanna know what really went down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom