• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Henderson as DM and captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Club captain - Lallana

We wouldn't have to worry about our cAptsin always playing as he's injured loads

He understands Klopps style and presses better than most

Yeah i'm struggling to see the bright future ahead for Henderson.

He seemed to me to be a good all rounder with a high work rate. I wonder if the work rate has dropped off a bit.
He's not the right player to be the deep lying playmaker, and it seems like he drops on between the centre backs all the time when we have possession in our half. There's not much purpose to what he does.

He's never going to play a more attacking role when Lallana, Coutinho, and even Gini, are ahead of him. So if he can't play the role that suits him best and he doesn't play the role he's in well enough is there much value in holding onto him ?

All of this. I've been a big fan of Henderson from the beginning but he's now become a liability. We have better players in his best position and he's useless in his current one.

We need to upgrade. Won't be cheap but it needs to be done.

Regarding the captaincy, we have no one else who should be permanent captain, so he can keep it. But it doesn't mean he should be on the pitch. Someone else can wear the arm band on the field.

But not Matip. He's crap too.

Now I’m unfortunately going to sound a lot like Modo in this thread, but this is something Klopp needs to seriously think about.

Since his arrival, Henderson has been first-choice DM / holding mid, and Can has played in a variety of positions.

When Henderson has been available, Can has either played as one of the two more advanced CMs in the 4-3-3, or occasionally in defence.

When Henderson’s absent however, Klopp goes with Can at DM / holding mid. I’ve made this point several times before, but we’re just a far better side when Henderson is absent and Can is playing
DM.

Let’s look at some basic evidence.

2015/16

Henderson missed 15 games from September-November through injury. Can ended up as DM in a majority of those games. We lost just 1 of those 15 games.

He then missed 11 games through injury again from April-May. Can came in at DM again, and played probably the best football of his LFC career as we went on that Europa League run, beating Dortmund and Villareal. 2 defeats in those 11 games.

2016/17

Henderson missed 13 games. Can came into that DM role. We took 27 points from 13 games to secure 4th place.

Also, let’s look at our worst defensive performances under Klopp (conceding 3 goals or more).

That’s happened 14 times in Klopp’s reign. Henderson has started at DM in 10 of those 14 games. Can has been DM in two of those games.

I know our defensive blues are largely attributable to our horrendous defenders. But this record from our DM / holding mid is totally unacceptable. The DM is the one who needs to take responsibility and stem the flow when the side is under a lot of attacking pressure. Henderson is utterly inept at this. He’s proven this time and again.

Henderson’s best position is as an attacking CM in a 4-3-3, the kind of role he played in the 13-14 season, which was the best football he’s played for Liverpool. If his injuries have rendered him incapable of playing that role, then we need to stop shoehorning him into the midfield just because he’s captain. He’s not a good DM. In fact, he’s a terrible one. If we need to strip of him captaincy to get him away from that position, then so be it.
So now everyone's suddenly woke? Good for you.
BTW Dmish are you sure it wasn't Lucas who played in midfield instead of Hendo?

So now everyone's suddenly woke? Good for you.
BTW Dmish are you sure it wasn't Lucas who played in midfield instead of Hendo?
No one is woke

A majority know we need better. Few are happy Henderson is a starter and captain

No one is woke

A majority know we need better. Few are happy Henderson is a starter and captain

surprised-dog.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom