• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He drinks Sangria

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also played the best team in the world with Dudek, Traoré, Riise, Garcia and Baros in the line up and we needed Smicer to save us.

20 years later and I'm still amazed we managed to win that game.

Dida
Cafu - legend
Nesta - legend
Stam - legend
Maldini - legend
Gattuso - legend
Kaka - legend
Shevchenko - legend
Seedorf - legend
Pirlo - legend
H Crespo

That is the beauty of it - football is a team game.
When working together, a team is larger than the sum of its parts.
It is a metaphor for society. Or what it could be, rather.

Crespo was really good as well at the peak of his career. As his two goals against us showed. And Dida was 2nd only to Buffon in Italy for a few years. Yeah, hell of a team - crazy that we managed to beat them!
Crespo was the Seria A version of someone like Defoe. I mean, he'll get you goals, but legend?
I dunno about that.

Crespo was the Seria A version of someone like Defoe. I mean, he'll get you goals, but legend?
I dunno about that.

I have a lot of respect for Defoe actually - a proper natural striker, scored wherever he went, at any age. I think he was underrated.

I have a lot of respect for Defoe actually - a proper natural striker, scored wherever he went, at any age. I think he was underrated.
I don't think he was under or overrated. He gave you around ten goals every season.

He also played the best team in the world with Dudek, Traoré, Riise, Garcia and Baros in the line up and we needed Smicer to save us.

20 years later and I'm still amazed we managed to win that game.

Dida
Cafu - legend
Nesta - legend
Stam - legend
Maldini - legend
Gattuso - legend
Kaka - legend
Shevchenko - legend
Seedorf - legend
Pirlo - legend
H Crespo

Folks focus on just Istanbul but there were a lot of miracles on the way.

Carson, Finnan, Carragher, Hyppia, Traore, Garcia, Biscan, Gerrard, Riise, Letallec, Baros

vs

Del Piero, Ibrahimovic, Nedved, Emerson, Blasi, Camoranesi, Zambrotta, Cannovaro, Thuram, Zebina, Buffon.

And the bench comparison was even more depressing as Alonso was injured in the first leg. And we played them off the park in the first 30 minutes. When Rafa got it right, he really got it right.

Yossi had ONE header that stands out ... and Suarez had a few great ones, but Garcia I think was the best one we had from attacking players since God.
Oh he was good don’t get me wrong but I was referring to a couple of headers that were better than his best. Yossi vs Real and Suarez header from outside the box :)

I first started to believe we could win the Champions League when Garcia's sublime strike against Juve hit the back of the net.

It's permanently etched into my memories, and I wouldn't change it for the world.
I thought we could win prior to the final group game and it paid for a lot of things as a broke 21 year old :D long before the cash out merchant I became!

Oh he was good don’t get me wrong but I was referring to a couple of headers that were better than his best. Yossi vs Real and Suarez header from outside the box :)

Yossi vs Real was a good header but fairly standard. The Suarez header from outside the box was amazing but I don't think it beats Garcia vs Anderlecht (I think it was them anyway).

Zenden and Pennant as our wingers in a European Cup Final was dire wasn't it.

And playing Kuyt up front on his own, when that was hardly ever done throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom